I Found A New Game

CrookedThumb

Should I start the "Three Word Reply" game?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know I promised that I would not start anymore games, seeing how I started two of the post-padder's dreams with The Name Game and Word Association. But I found a fun game that I think is too good to ignore, so I'll make a compromise. I'll start the game only if you guys want me to. The game is called "Three Word Game." The rule is simple: all replies must be exactly three words long. The vote deadline is Thursday. Please forgive me if this topic is absolutely pointless, as choice #3 indicates. BTW, I nulled my vote.

Guest -*the mad mac*-
I know I promised that I would not start anymore games, seeing how I started two of the post-padder's dreams with The Name Game and Word Association. But I found a fun game that I think is too good to ignore, so I make a compromise. I'll start the game only if you guys want me to. The game is called "Three Word Game." The rule is simple: all replies must be exactly three words long. The vote deadline is Thursday. Please forgive me if this topic is absolutely pointless, as choice #3 indicates. BTW, I nulled my vote.

No... don't bother. :P:grin:

Those who vote against these types of games are needlessly obsessed with their post count. I have quite a few posts under my belt, and I can't think of anything that means less than post count. I'd vote we eliminate post count myself. Do you recognize the poster's name? THAT is all that matters.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

well, thats a good point.

Too many of these games would bump down the other topics, and I can see that as a harrassment and an aggrivation.

How about we agree on only one game thread at a time? I really enjoyed reading the responces and seeing whateveryone had to say, then coming up with something creative for my own post.

Can we just have one thread at a time? We can lock a thread after X pages, X posts, or X days.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Those who vote against these types of games are needlessly obsessed with their post count. I have quite a few posts under my belt, and I can't think of anything that means less than post count. I'd vote we eliminate post count myself. Do you recognize the poster's name? THAT is all that matters.

It's funny you should mention this... because more than a few posters were concerned when we moved to the new board, and their post count was down. I say keep post count, allow one 'game' thread, lock it when it hits 25 pages, do something else.

...but a 'three-word reply' game? Sounds a little too open ended. I like games like the Teammates game or something similar, where you actually have to think about your reply. Personally, I'd like to see an 'alphabet sports logos' game, where you have to find a pro team logo with a prominent capital letter (as determined by alphabetical order) displayed, kinda like what Logoserver does with the names of sports on individual pages...

LogoBaseball.JPG

Baseball page heading image

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Frankly, I think the whole concept of post counts is absolute assenine. All I've ever seen it do out here is lead to "pi$$ing contests" between self-important post-counters. So much for the idea of a community where everybody is equal.

What's more, in an effort to maintain their precious post-count leads, we end up having "post leaders" lobbying against thread types that might put a dent in their totals. I'm sure that serves as an inspiration for CCSL Board members feeling comfortable coming forward with ideas for General Discussion topics that might *gasp* lead to increased participation on the part of some community members who aren't amongst the "post leaders".

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the post totals are divisive. The argument that they are necessary because they speak to a poster's seniority and participation is ridiculous. The "Member No." and "Joined" categories speak to a member's seniority. As for participation, a simple perusal of various threads will give any member out here a general idea of who the most frequent posters are. And lets be fair and recognize that judging a person's participation based on number of posts is just one way to do it. Perhaps we should be more concerned with CONTENT rather than sheer number.

In point of fact, it seems to me that the post counts are little more than a "crutch" for the self-esteem of certain members out here. The "crutch" can also become a "bludgeon" when it is used to berate "newbies" who ask a question that is deemed "irritating" or "stupid" by the venerable "post leaders". On more than one occasion, I've seen a blistering tirade against a so-called "newbie" begin with a sarcastic and smug put-down along the lines of, "How many posts do you have?". It's the epitome of snobbery and does NOTHING to promote a sense of camraderie out here.

I'd LOVE to see post counts ELIMINATED! I recognize that this won't happen, because God forbid the "post leaders" should lose that which gives them their very reason to exist out here. However, could we at least acknowledge why the post totals are so damned "important" out here: because they provide certain CCSL Board members with a sense of "self-worth" and "superiority". PERIOD!

Brian in Boston

I'd LOVE to see post counts ELIMINATED! I recognize that this won't happen, because God forbid the "post leaders" should lose that which gives them their very reason to exist out here. However, could we at least acknowledge why the post totals are so damned "important" out here: because they provide certain CCSL Board members with a sense of "self-worth" and "superiority". PERIOD!

Brian in Boston

amen, brother!

i hate when people (you know who i'm talking about) bring up their self-important post count when trying to show how important they are.

post counts mean jack plop!

edit: sweet, that was post #1001. :hockeysmiley:

I understand what you are saying BiB. Last time this came up, I cared, and couldn't help it. I'd be wrong still to say I don't like to look at my count every now and then, but I think my continual slowing of posts and Tanks large overtake of the post count speak for itself as for how I feel about them now.

Do I think they should be removed? Nope, I think they can be a factor in the categories you mentioned. Would I care? Not especially.

Instead, you could add characters per post or total characters under the name. I'm guessing you'd lead in a per post avg. BiB. You always go very in depth with your responses and I appreciate that.

As for the games, I still don't see the point of this one, but I don't really mind them. I would like a limit on them though.

Archived