Houston Astros 10 Years at Minute Maid Logo

BamaHater

The current color scheme isn't that space-related. It's more dusty Old West. "Brick, sand, and coal," right?

Remember that commercial, I think it was for beer, five or six years ago, where someone supposes that the warning track should become the warning moat, and then an outfielder gets swallowed by an alligator? I think the Houston Astros had to be talked out of that when they built their new park.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a good thing when not everything that happens at a game is perfectly branded to the team's marketing identity.

True enough. But it's a bad thing when everything that happens at a game is perfectly branded to an identity other than that of the team. :D Hence the problem with the Astros.

I do love the idea of Redcoats firing cannons at Blue Jay games.

Two points, mainly in jest:

1. Many of the commenters here who decry the train as conflicting with the "Astros" identity have also in the past vociferously agreed with calls to scrap the team's current space-related color scheme and return to the completely non-space-related blue and orange. Well, which is it? Should a team's ephemera match the meaning of its name, or not?

I really don't care for the blue and orange. The navy and gold look just prior to the brick and sand was, IMO, pretty close to perfection as far as the Astros go.

Wood K's 20 was on the MLB Network this afternoon, and the uniforms you mentioned were featured in this game. Even those were far from perfect. Their 1s looked like 7s, the old open star looked kind of sloppily drawn, and the navy was almost black.

Quite the graphics back in 1998. Somebody at WGN sure liked Bank Gothic.

I love that so many people from outside of Houston hate the ballpark. It's not for you. I like all the quirks, it makes it unique and I like. Who cares if someone decides it's not what they think a ballpark should look like?

Once again, my point is missed.

If you wanna put roller coasters all around your field, do what you gotta do. (Hell, the Cardinals very first park, Robison Field, had one in LF, IIRC).

But why do they have to put so many quirks within the field of play? I'm allowed to hate that, because it affects the games I watch.

Remember that game where Geovany Soto hit the inside-the-park home run that wasn't, but kinda was, but technically wasn't, but officially was? That was baseball, man. Astros show ya how to do it up good. Using where a ball falls along the x-axis to determine whether a ball is over a fence or not really revolutionized Cartesian geometry.

Remember that game where Geovany Soto hit the inside-the-park home run that wasn't, but kinda was, but technically wasn't, but officially was? That was baseball, man. Astros show ya how to do it up good. Using where a ball falls along the x-axis to determine whether a ball is over a fence or not really revolutionized Cartesian geometry.

Thats exaclty why I should have paid attention in Calculus. Oh well.

jNTsTyQ.png

I love that so many people from outside of Houston hate the ballpark. It's not for you. I like all the quirks, it makes it unique and I like. Who cares if someone decides it's not what they think a ballpark should look like?

Once again, my point is missed.

If you wanna put roller coasters all around your field, do what you gotta do. (Hell, the Cardinals very first park, Robison Field, had one in LF, IIRC).

But why do they have to put so many quirks within the field of play? I'm allowed to hate that, because it affects the games I watch.

Typical Cards fan. Always wanting it to be old school and boring :P i kid. My best friend is from st louis. we have gotten into many arguments over minute maid park and its ummm unique aspects. He really hated the crawford boxes after the 2005 NLCS. He claimed the stros had too many cheap home runs hit into the boxes. I told him the cards had just as many opportunities to hit it there themselves. Granted Albert showed us all he didnt need a shortned left field to help with home runs. I'm pretty sure that homer from game 5 is still orbiting the earth.

I'll be a somewhat neutral here as a Rangers fan. MMP park is very nice (I've been there around fifteen times). The points that are being made on both sides are valid. On the plus side there really isn't a bad seat in the house and honors the railyard it was built within. I don't mind the train gimmick at all, you don't notice it as mentioned. MMP has helped revitalize eastern downtown Houston.

On the negative side...

I understand the fixed footprint for the ballpark designers had to work with. Again nice, but severely cramped in the concourses, overly steep mid and upper level sections which actually make you feel like you could fall onto the field. The worst is left field. The Crawford boxes are a complete gimmick, and the dumb etch-a-sketch yellow home run line is worse. Seeing the later two in person it's hard to believe they exist. Period.

Tal's hill is stupid too. I don't care how statisically it plays into actual games. It has no business on an MLB field.

newsig.jpg

Typical Cards fan. Always wanting it to be old school and boring :P i kid. My best friend is from st louis. we have gotten into many arguments over minute maid park and its ummm unique aspects. He really hated the crawford boxes after the 2005 NLCS. He claimed the stros had too many cheap home runs hit into the boxes. I told him the cards had just as many opportunities to hit it there themselves. Granted Albert showed us all he didnt need a shortned left field to help with home runs. I'm pretty sure that homer from game 5 is still orbiting the earth.

I've been saying for a while now that I want the Cardinals to put some thing in their LF so they can practice hitting them there. The Astros always seem to have it mastered. The Cardinals make a habit of hitting them 400 ft to dead center and coming up empty. Meanwhile, when they do hit one that way, it always seems to be a no-doubter. Frustrating to be sure...

Archived