Houston Astros 10 Years at Minute Maid Logo

BamaHater

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In ten years its gone from Enron Field to Astros Field/"The Field Formerly Known As Enron" for a few months then to Minute Made Park. Just wanted to point that one out if anyone forgot.

And it's been Minute Maid Park since June 2002.

Back on topic, it's nice to see the Astros know the difference between "10 seasons" and "10th anniversary season" or "10th anniversary."

As for the patch, it's ok. IDK, there's something about it that makes it too busy in my eyes. I think it's the outline of the stadium in the numbers. I'm sure it will look better on a jersey.

As for the stadium, it too is just ok. The views are good, but it feels like you're watching a game in an abandoned warehouse, and the train makes no sense to me.

That park sucks.

I'm sure it's beautiful and a fun experience.

But that park makes a great case for implementing some ballpark standards in the MLB. Lefties shouldn't be able to hit popups for three run home runs, but it happens all the time there.

I love unique features to ballparks, but I get tired of the gimmicks that tear at the quality of the game. From the hill, to the flagpole in play, to the short LF, MMP is closer to a theme park than a ballpark.

Prior to Minute Maid, going to see the Astros meant being stuck in a long ass line to get into parking at the Dome, hiking through the empty gravel pit they called a parking lot, and trying not to get stuck in decades work of sticky stuff as you made your way to a seat that seemed miles from the field.

Minute Maid was a revelation. You can park for free a few blocks away. Every seat has a great view. And the retractable roof is still a really cool trick.

Are there better ball parks? Sure, but this was a huge step up for us. The flag pole may be silly. The homers may come too often for NL teams. The train may seem odd, but, hell, the Dome had a cannon. What does a cannon have to do with oil or space? At least Minute Maid built on top of an old train station and just look at the city seal:

cityseal.jpg

I think it's peerlessly overloaded with contrived field gimmicks, promotions, and public address obnoxiousness. There are choo-choo trains carrying oranges, cows on foul poles, and a giant Citgo sign "inspired" by a certain other park. The entire left side of the park is an affront, while the entire right side is dark and neglected. The architecture is ugly. Are there worse ballparks? Yes, but they have plastic grass. It's an easy bottom-tenner, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Minute Maid was pretty great for convenience. I walked out of the stadium and my car was literally right near the exit. It's very easy getting to the consessions as well.

People say Ranger's ballpark is great, but to me, it gets too hot and feels more crowded.

People say Ranger's ballpark is great, but to me, it gets too hot and feels more crowded.

There's another stinker. It's a neo-retro in the middle of a business park, and it came about via some pretty shady real estate deals. And there's an office building in center field! Come on.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, the Ballpark in Arlington is a real craphole for baseball. I mean, let's take everything about old ballparks and blend them together, and something to exploit the fans with, and you'll roll in the dough. Man, Turnpike Stadium was better than the new ballpark. No gimmicks, no fluf, just pure baseball.

Archived