Official Logo Contest - Ottawa Voyageurs

Prince Senator

First off let me say all the logos you guys have put on this thread so far are awesome! I'm happy they extended the deadline. It gave me time to work on my idea.

Here's my submission. I started with the color blue for the rivers of Ottawa. Next I chose red because, like others have said on this thread, it's screams Ottawa.

I wanted a guy with a beard and a Davy Crocket-type hat. It evolved from there. The bottom of the logo is a river. For the cap logo, I put the coon skin cap on the letter "O" for Ottawa. I love putting head gear on letters!

Don't mind the "thorns" on the word Ottawa in the wordmark. It's a side effect of the stroke on Inkscape. I'll fix that before I submit it.

Let me know what you guys think.

identitycopy.png

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks very good except for a couple things. I think the name should have a white outline to break up the red and the black. That said, I think the red should be a little brighter.The water could be a little more refined, but we always can pick on things like that. You have done a very good job with this and, I, for one would not be surprised if this is what they use.

Thanks for the input guys. I put a white outline around the "Voyageurs" as you requested. I left it off of the wordmark and alternate logo so you can compare the two looks. I also changed the red to the copper color I originally had in mind. I originally changed it because Worchester in the same league uses a similar color. Since I have blue also do you guys think it's ok to use the orange?

Please give me more feedback so I can submit this today.

identityorangecopy.png

And here's Worcheser's logo for comparison

worchestertornadoes.jpg

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Thanks for the input guys. I put a white outline around the "Voyageurs" as you requested. I left it off of the wordmark and alternate logo so you can compare the two looks. I also changed the red to the copper color I originally had in mind. I originally changed it because Worchester in the same league uses a similar color. Since I have blue also do you guys think it's ok to use the orange?

Please give me more feedback so I can submit this today.

identityorangecopy.png

And here's Worcheser's logo for comparison

worchestertornadoes.jpg

The only problem I noticed is that the guy's head is HUGE.

This time I tried something more daring. I went with the same blue and a brown. I think it's a distinct look. Does it work? Does it need a bright outline around "voyageurs"?

identityblueandtancopy.png

*picks jaw up from the floor*

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

I love this color scheme. It works very well together. I'm going to mention a few things and I don't mean it to be taken the wrong way. Considering this is for possible use by a real team, I would suggest using a more unique font. I would outline the name in white to seperate the colors better. This may work for jerseys, but remember, this will be used in most promotional items. Also, adjust the wave at the bottom. We know it's the Voyageurs, but too much of the name is covered by the wave. A person should be able to read what the team name is immediately. As elliot said, I would make the outside outline white. I think you have the logo with most potential of being chosen. If you make just a few adjustments, it could be close to perfect. Great job overall.

I love this color scheme. It works very well together. I'm going to mention a few things and I don't mean it to be taken the wrong way. Considering this is for possible use by a real team, I would suggest using a more unique font. I would outline the name in white to seperate the colors better. This may work for jerseys, but remember, this will be used in most promotional items. Also, adjust the wave at the bottom. We know it's the Voyageurs, but too much of the name is covered by the wave. A person should be able to read what the team name is immediately. As elliot said, I would make the outside outline white. I think you have the logo with most potential of being chosen. If you make just a few adjustments, it could be close to perfect. Great job overall.

What font is this? I'm just wondering. I actually sorta like it.

Nice use of the colour brown- very under-utilized in sports, I think. Baseball is the perfect medium for bringing in brown, because of the colourof the bat, the infield dirt, etc, and this team specifically because the Voyageur guy would logically have a brown-ish hat, be holding a brown bat, and so on. There just needs to be something to brighten up the look a little bit.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Logoman and Elliott, you are right. I kept on thinking I should not cover up the "voyageurs" as much as I was. I lowered the wave. I think it's better. Everytime I try to outline the word in white it just looks so overpowering. What to you guys think about how I put the white under the word and offset it? It kind of looks 3-D and jumps off the logo. This is just a rough-and-dirty version so it doesn't have the nice underline around the logos and the secondary logos don't match. What I want you guys to concentrate on is the primary.

primaryblueandtanwhiteoutlinewordco.png

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

It's called Kimberly. I think I got it from dafont.com. That's if it's not a standard windows font.

Yeah I pretty much get all my fonts that I want to make an original logo with from dafont. I like the white shadowing, I guess you should apply it to the other two logos for continuity's sake, then I would add the white outline back on. I think then you might be looking at your final product.

It's called Kimberly. I think I got it from dafont.com. That's if it's not a standard windows font.

Yeah I pretty much get all my fonts that I want to make an original logo with from dafont. I like the white shadowing, I guess you should apply it to the other two logos for continuity's sake, then I would add the white outline back on. I think then you might be looking at your final product.

I agree. Applying the white outline to the other two logos to give it more continuity. Great job with this. My favorite so far.

jNTsTyQ.png

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry everyone-Looks like nobody wins:

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/news/index.h...article_id=1254

In addition to the AC Surf folding, this piece of info came at the end:

UPDATE: Since the Ottawa media is breaking an embargo, we will too: the Can-Am Association will shrink to six teams for 2009, with Ottawa not fielding a team as well. The recent legal issue with the team was a factor in the decision, from what we've been told.

So, sorry fans...none of the logos will see the field. Great job though!

bYhYmxh.png

Archived