New Newark Bears logo?

GuitarPunk2512

I was checking out their site last night and its being totally redone right now but it has a purple (purpleish navy blue) as the main color and thier was a new logo also, but there is no news anouncing it.

Really Old Logo (just for comparing):

pictures11-8-08158.jpg

Old (Current) Logo:

NewarkBears.jpg

New Logo?:

ExampleSplashPage_html_m4570e0d2.jpg

Im undecided on the new logo, but i think its too dark.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

The old one was a little reminiscent of the Yakima Bears' logo.

The new one is good, well rendered, but yes the colors are a little dark. Then again we are seeing it pixelated and with what looks like an overlayed opaque silver square. Wordmark definitely needs to be upgraded.

My initial thought: Has crime gotten so bad in Newark that even grizzly bears have to carry baseball bats for protection?

It doesn't look terrible, but since that was my first impression, I have to consider it a downgrade.

I live next door to Newark and there are SO many jokes that can be made about this one...

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Newark (outside of the Arena area and the transportation to-and-from) is quite a dangerous place. That logo looks like it knows the neighborhood it's in and has taken precaution...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

My initial thought: Has crime gotten so bad in Newark that even grizzly bears have to carry baseball bats for protection?

It doesn't look terrible, but since that was my first impression, I have to consider it a downgrade.

I have no ribbon, but I'll give you the Post Of The Late Night. I do like what I see here, though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The old one was a little reminiscent of the Yakima Bears' logo.

The new one is good, well rendered, but yes the colors are a little dark. Then again we are seeing it pixelated and with what looks like an overlayed opaque silver square. Wordmark definitely needs to be upgraded.

The Yakima Bears logo you're talking about came two years after the Newark Bears' former primary with the red, black, and silver colors.

Union.png

Dang, they just changed the logo two years ago. New Owners?

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Yes in fact they were on the brink of going under, when a new group purchased them in December to keep them afloat, they host the ASG this year, and have Tim Raines as there new Manager.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not just a new manager. From the press release:

The team also unveiled its new uniforms, a throwback look that pays homage to Newark?s rich baseball

legacy that included greats such as Yogi Berra, Monte Irvin and Larry Doby. The uniforms resemble the

team?s original jersey when they were a Yankee AAA club affiliate, with two patches on the sleeves

commemorating both the great Newark Eagles from the Negro League and the original Bears.

Press_Raines_DSC_0906.jpg

Can't see the patches, but I believe this is the Eagles patch:

Eagle-3.1.jpg

I really don't like that idea. What's the point in having a new modern identity if your not going to implement it in anyway in your uniforms? If they want to recognize their history, then make a third jersey or a promotional night jersey to do that. Does anyone else agree with me? Disagree? I'd love to hear some other thoughts..

I don't know. Playing off the city's baseball history seems a good idea to me, especially for an independent league. But you're right - there is a disconnect. Perhaps they should lose the bear logo and go for something a bit more timeless.

I think the problem is in execution of the uniform, not the logo. The uniform is just too simple. Incorporating the logo's gray, along with a darker shade of navy, would be a major improvement. As would some very small serifs on the jersey and cap "N" to match the Bears logo. Then it would look like an update, not a rehash, of the old unis. And as much as I love the old Eagles patch, it's confusing. Save it for an alternate, and make a patch of the bear.

(Which is not to say that the logo is the end-all of logo design; just that as a logo, it's executed better than the uniforms are as uniforms, so improvements should start with the better asset already in hand.)

20082614447.png

well....looks like the Bears took a page from the NBA on this front, looky what i rounded up:

1226607833.jpg

bearscard.jpg

still, doesn't take away the fact that this is a good logo.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived