OKC Thunder Concept

hettinger_rl

This is a fantastic logo. Great way to mix two ideas, a bison and thunder clouds. It needs tweaking, like making the bison look more menacing, but overall it's a wonderful idea.

I agree this is a great logo. You did a nice job of making the bison look mean and like it is stampeding. This would look fantastic if you found a good wordmark for it.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the idea for this, but to me the execution is not there yet. Right now the whole logo has sort of a blob shape to it. The updated version with the bison's head lowered looks much better, but the logo is still very loosely held together. I think it could be greatly improved if the bison was "charging" out of some shape, something he could appear to be coming out of or behind so that his head doesn't seem to be floating in space like it is now. It's hard to articulate what I'm envisioning in my head--I may sketch something and post it. But I think if this concept had a more concrete, defined shape or structure, it could be fantastic.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

This is a fantastic logo. Great way to mix two ideas, a bison and thunder clouds. It needs tweaking, like making the bison look more menacing, but overall it's a wonderful idea.

I agree this is a great logo. You did a nice job of making the bison look mean and like it is stampeding. This would look fantastic if you found a good wordmark for it.

I thought I liked the original logo but the update is outstanding! The sense of motion of the bison is inspired and it looks like it's part of the cloud or stampeding through it. Once you thicken the lines and add shadows and/or highlights it will really fall into place. Remember, the best logos work in black and white. I don't think you need to add any lightning.

When I make a logo, I try to think of how the shape of the outer boundary looks. I think the outside shape of the logo looks good. Keep working on the logo and then add a wordmark later. I can't wait for another update.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I've been playing around with some wordmark ideas. Let me know what you think. Also, any more ideas for colors? My thoughts are black/burnt yellow/silver/white; light blue/dk blue/burnt orange/yellow (OKC's current scheme); and black/dk grey/vegas/silver.

Thunder-Word5.jpg

Thunder-Word4.jpg

Thunder-Word2.jpg

C&C please.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

For colors, I would try to find a more unique combination, and (if possible) something that invokes the feel of thunder/storm/clouds/sky/etc. Maybe light blue, silver, yellowish orange, and black (for contrast in the logos).

As far as the type goes, I'm not sure any of them is working well. The first two feel way too forced; the first looks like you're determined to make it look "old west," the second looks like you're determined to make it look like wind. I guess they're both a little too over-the-top. The third one is just a bad typeface, but I would look for something closer to number three than the first two.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Here are few color schemes (I added an area for a wordmark). The first is just the grey-scale guide I use, its obviously too much like San Antonio. As you may notice blue-green or teal-blue are kind of mainstays that I've used, but its nothing that can't be changed. C&C Please.

Thunder3.jpg

Thunder6.jpg

Thunder75.jpg

Thunder76.jpg

Thunder82.jpg

I like the first (teal and gray) color combo you used. But I really think that the big rectangle around the wordmark has to go. It complicates things and doesn't look so hot. I'd recommend the first wordmark; it would be unique and work well with the Thunder motif. Nice work.

scotland_fifasig.png

I think that if you just used their current color scheme it would look good.

I agree. The current colors would be perfect for this application. Use the orange and dark blue for the bison. Use the dark blue and light blue for the clouds and the yellow for highlights.

Also, you should make all your lines into smooth curves. The best logos have nice arcs that make the design. Check out the trenton thunder logo:

trentonthunder.gif

Don't worry about the wordmark now. Once the logo is done, you can butt a wordmark against it.

Keep up the awesome work!

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I vote for the third of the fonts, and I also agree with everyone else that you should use the current scheme that they have.

This is pretty cool though good job.

EDIT: oops I think we posted at like the same time. Of the two you just posted I like the top one better.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

Ditto, the top one is better. I don't like the neon green at all, and the brown feels forced. It doesn't go well with the blue at all. I'd make most of the buffalo navy with orange accents, and have the clouds a nice mix of navy and light blue. Right now, the clouds are way too detailed. Make more smooth, simple "lumps" and it'll work much better. As for the buffalo, simplify and make it have a sort of gradual transition into the clouds color-wise. Not a gradient, though. Nice work.

scotland_fifasig.png

So after brainstorming on the C&C I've recieved I drew this up. I left the blank space on the right side for a wordmark. I'd like C&C now to decide whether this is better and worth using. Thanks.

thunder.jpg

you're so very close here...get this image really tight, then worry about how you'll incorporate the wordmark and colors...the updates you've made since this post have all taken massive steps backwords - this is a brilliant idea, but needs to be executed properly to work

undead's post with the trenton thunder logo should serve as some inspiration - think thick, bold, smooth lines...

jldesigns404eo.png

Sorry, that's a no go on the lime green. It doesn't work with the cloud colors, and if you imagine it on uniforms it would look awful. Like I said earlier, just keep it navy and light blue in the clouds (maybe make those colors a little on the gray side, too, to make it more clouds-ish), and orange and navy on the bison.

scotland_fifasig.png

Edit*

This was supposed to be the one in post #31

Thunder912.jpg

It's looking better. You can use shadows to hide unimportant details. Using shadows will also bring attention to the important details. I always think I only need a little shadow, but by the time I'm done half my logo is in shadow. If something is going to be too detailed or to hard to render, I cover it up. Let your mind's eye think you see it.

Maybe the little cloud fluffs are too small. What if you kept the same outer dimensions and shape and changed the inner clouds? Maybe the clouds should be on a similar scale to the head. I'm not sure about this but I'm just throwing it out there.

Keep working. I'm enjoying the progress.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I think that if you just used their current color scheme it would look good.

I agree. The current colors would be perfect for this application. Use the orange and dark blue for the bison. Use the dark blue and light blue for the clouds and the yellow for highlights.

Also, you should make all your lines into smooth curves. The best logos have nice arcs that make the design. Check out the trenton thunder logo:

trentonthunder.gif

Don't worry about the wordmark now. Once the logo is done, you can butt a wordmark against it.

Keep up the awesome work!

So after brainstorming on the C&C I've recieved I drew this up. I left the blank space on the right side for a wordmark. I'd like C&C now to decide whether this is better and worth using. Thanks.

thunder.jpg

you're so very close here...get this image really tight, then worry about how you'll incorporate the wordmark and colors...the updates you've made since this post have all taken massive steps backwords - this is a brilliant idea, but needs to be executed properly to work

undead's post with the trenton thunder logo should serve as some inspiration - think thick, bold, smooth lines...

So I've tweaked the B/W using the Trenton Thunder logo as a guide. I made the middle layer of clouds more rounded and larger. C&C Please.

Thunder-14.jpg

Archived