Houston Astros Concept

McCall

The shooting star needs refinement, but I love the concept. Years ago when I was a middle school amateur (meaning the production skills were lacking), I made a concept that harkened back to those uniforms too. Yours looks much better. IMO, it's the perfect look. They can keep their stupid old style identity and try and incorporate things like the train and whatnot, while simultaneously acknowledging their name comes directly from the space program.

Is there a reason you switched the gold accent bottom right to bottom left halfway through the word mark?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I like this a lot, but the beveling makes them look a little like the Nationals, doesn't it?

Since the typeface mccall chose isn't nearly as blocky, I don't think it's an issue, personally.

Yeah, but when I see gold beveling, I think Nationals.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is there a reason you switched the gold accent bottom right to bottom left halfway through the word mark?

I originally had them the same position on all letters, but I decided to do something different. If you'll notice on the "Houston" mark, the 'S' has the highlighting centered, because it's the middle letter. And with the arch, it gives the effect of the "light" being on the shown on the middle, or something like that. Most wordmarks like that always have it the same for each letter, so I just thought I'd change it up a bit. Think I should change it back?

I originally had them the same position on all letters, but I decided to do something different. If you'll notice on the "Houston" mark, the 'S' has the highlighting centered, because it's the middle letter. And with the arch, it gives the effect of the "light" being on the shown on the middle, or something like that. Most wordmarks like that always have it the same for each letter, so I just thought I'd change it up a bit. Think I should change it back?

I guess I focused on the Astros word detail. I suspected that is the effect you were trying to do using the star. However, with the star located off center above the mark, it then appeared that it was just a mistake. i would prefer that the effect were applied to the same side on each letter.

Beyond that, I like what you've done here and I'd welcome a return to the H over the star logo.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

what about using the current astros' star as a part of the swooping star you have now?

It looks too odd with the streaks. These streaks and the simple star are one of the elements that I left relatively plain and somewhat unaltered (I added 2 streaks to the original 3) to help link the old to the new. I, personally, feel it works well with either retro or the slight modern aspects of the design. But that's just me. :D

The road jersey would look good if it had the same shooting star thing as the home one.

Agreed.

But other than that, a really sharp concept.

I originally had the shooting star on the roads, but removed it. I guess I like the simplicity on the aways. Plus, if you look at when they used these uniforms when they first became the Astros, the Astros/Shooting Star was arched on the homes, but then they had just a basic block "Houston" in a radial arc on the aways. Yeah, I arched Houston here, but having just the wordmark was another way I tied the eras together. If I have access to Illustrator this weekend, I'll post a road set with the shooting star on it.

I like where this is headed.

This is just an idea, anyway to drop the star into the O per say and have a tail come out. I think the Star and shooting stripes will just be too much but would love to see the orange star in the wordmark tying in the hat.

The Uniforms are just fine,but there's a need to have some form of

red and yellow(NO sunburst stripes on the torso or the sleeves either),

but on the swooshing lines next to the star like this:

1).red-orange-yellow-orange-red swoosh next to star.

2).red-org.-yel. outlined in navy.

3).red-org.-yel.-org.-red outlined in navy.

I wonder if its alright with you,if you make the concepts just for me.

I would appreciate that very much. B)

majorleaguebaseball3fi.gif

nflfan8bf.jpg

319rg.jpg

dccomics5vs.png

antimtv.png

Personally, I'd like more orange somehow/somewhere. But they are very nice indeed.

The gold might be unnecessary, since it's not used on the uniforms much, if at all. I think you can lose that color.

Archived