MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ym...s&fext=.jsp

NEW YORK -- Major League Soccer, FC Barcelona, and Marcelo Claure have jointly agreed that Miami is no longer a candidate to be one of the next two MLS expansion teams. After extensive discussions and collaborative evaluation a decision was made that at this time because it was determined that it was not feasible to launch a Major League Soccer team in South Florida in 2010 due to adverse market conditions.

Notwithstanding, FC Barcelona remains committed to Major League Soccer and the U.S. market and will continue to work with MLS and Marcelo Claure on other soccer-related projects.

"I want to thank both FC Barcelona and Marcelo Claure for the tremendous effort to bring an MLS expansion team to Miami," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "FC Barcelona is one of the best managed and strategically operated sporting clubs in any sport in the World and I appreciate the opportunity that we have had to work with them and Marcelo Claure over the last few months."

"The U.S market continues to be a priority for FC Barcelona," said FC Barcelona CEO Joan Oliver. "We will continue our comprehensive game promotion and marketing agreement with Soccer United Marketing and will look for additional ways to strengthen our relationship with MLS and America's soccer fans."

"I remain a believer in MLS and the future of professional soccer in America... particularly in South Florida," said Marcelo Claure. "Although we have not been able to move forward at this time for a wide variety of reasons, I will work with FC Barcelona on other soccer projects in South Florida."

So that leaves: Ottawa, Portland, St. Louis, Vancouver

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No suprise here...my guess is Portland for the Western Conf. and St. Louis for the Eastern Conf. Both cities deserve teams, but we'll see how economics play out.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Don't count out Montreal. They just got 55,000 people at their champions league match against Santos, and Joey Saputo is said to be still interested. Montreal has a stadium already built, and has a history of great attendance numbers.

1zqy8ok.gif

Don't count out Montreal. They just got 55,000 people at their champions league match against Santos, and Joey Saputo is said to be still interested. Montreal has a stadium already built, and has a history of great attendance numbers.

I'm really hoping that MLS invites the Impact to their league; nothing but a classy organization.

Meanwhile, a task force convened by the mayor here in Portland is expected to recommend the city pursue financing $85 million for upgrades to PGE Park and a new minor league park for the Portland Beavers. But it will include a series of conditions, including the need for Portland Timbers' owner Merritt Paulson to seek additional private financing.

There's still some question about the city's ability to finance the stadiums, though. Paulson said last week he's about to release a new plan to make the numbers work.

We should know more here in Portland soon. Possibly even today.

The issue in Montreal isn't over fan support or stadium availability. Saputo -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- balked at the $40 million expansion fee levied by the league, saying it was too steep. The league wasn't willing to budge, so Saputo withdrew.

I think Montreal would have been just as big of a success as Toronto has shown to be.

Still a chance for Vancouver, nice. TFC needs a western rival.

Ottawa seems to be shooting itself in the foot, stadium-wise. Eugene Melnyk, owner of the Senators, wants a soccer-only stadium to be built near Scotiabank Centre, while the Hunt group (who have a conditional CFL franchise in their pocket) are more than willing to share space with the proposed soccer team, who wants nothing to do with them. It's a complete political and sporting abortion in Ottawa at the moment.

If Portland is hedging, or seems to having some issues with stadia and money, then welcome St Louis and Vancouver to the MLS.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Rumours are coming in now. Vancouver and Portland are in.

Yawn, as a Toronto fan, this is disappointing.

Where are you seeing this?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives...ouver.html#more

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/03/van...-expansion.html

Now nothing's official, but Ives is about as good of a source as you will get in MLS. As for the second blog, the guys a Toronto fan, who said a source had told him that DeRo was coming home to Toronto, the morning before it was announced. So until he gives me something to doubt his credibility, I'm sticking with him.

1zqy8ok.gif

So here's what 2011 could look like:

East:

Chicago

Columbus

DC

Kansas City

New England

New York

Philadelphia

Toronto

West:

Chivas

Colorado

Dallas

Houston

Los Angeles

Portland

Salt Lake

San Jose

Seattle

Vancouver

Wouldn't be surprised come 2013 that 2 expansion teams are in the East to balance out the table.

Of course they could complicate things again by going with the 3 conference system they had for the 2001 & 2002 seasons:

East:

Columbus

DC

New England

New York

Philadelphia

Toronto

Central:

Chicago

Colorado

Dallas

Houston

Kansas City

Salt Lake

West:

Chivas

Los Angeles

Portland

San Jose

Seattle

Vancouver

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ym...s&fext=.jsp
NEW YORK -- Major League Soccer, FC Barcelona, and Marcelo Claure have jointly agreed that Miami is no longer a candidate to be one of the next two MLS expansion teams. After extensive discussions and collaborative evaluation a decision was made that at this time because it was determined that it was not feasible to launch a Major League Soccer team in South Florida in 2010 due to adverse market conditions.

Notwithstanding, FC Barcelona remains committed to Major League Soccer and the U.S. market and will continue to work with MLS and Marcelo Claure on other soccer-related projects.

"I want to thank both FC Barcelona and Marcelo Claure for the tremendous effort to bring an MLS expansion team to Miami," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "FC Barcelona is one of the best managed and strategically operated sporting clubs in any sport in the World and I appreciate the opportunity that we have had to work with them and Marcelo Claure over the last few months."

"The U.S market continues to be a priority for FC Barcelona," said FC Barcelona CEO Joan Oliver. "We will continue our comprehensive game promotion and marketing agreement with Soccer United Marketing and will look for additional ways to strengthen our relationship with MLS and America's soccer fans."

"I remain a believer in MLS and the future of professional soccer in America... particularly in South Florida," said Marcelo Claure. "Although we have not been able to move forward at this time for a wide variety of reasons, I will work with FC Barcelona on other soccer projects in South Florida."

So that leaves: Ottawa, Portland, St. Louis, Vancouver

Man, this really sucks. I was hoping South Florida would eventually get a team back. I guess they finally see how fair weather the fan support is down there though. I miss the Fusion. :cry:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Meanwhile, a task force convened by the mayor here in Portland is expected to recommend the city pursue financing $85 million for upgrades to PGE Park and a new minor league park for the Portland Beavers. But it will include a series of conditions, including the need for Portland Timbers' owner Merritt Paulson to seek additional private financing.

There's still some question about the city's ability to finance the stadiums, though. Paulson said last week he's about to release a new plan to make the numbers work.

We should know more here in Portland soon. Possibly even today.

I've always found American municipal government's willingness to subsidize sports team stadiums a little hard to understand, but I would have thought in the current economic situation doing that kind of thing would have become political kryptonite.

Archived