MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is only 15,000. The Red Bulls can seat 10,000 more.

The Cosmos might be able to out-draw them on a given day or weekend, though. Red Bull's average attendance isn't much higher than Hofstra's capacity.

I think Hofstra's somewhat distant location and just being a crappy smaller stadium are going to impact them quite a bit. RBA is closer, right on the train line, and is easily one of the nicest nearly brand new soccer stadiums in the US. Shuart Stadium is a 50 year old bare bones college stadium with fake grass and high school style football lines. Not to mention just being "D2" as indicated above will have some effect. Now with money and media the Cosmos might be able to offset their immediate handicaps somewhat, but their players will be lower level and their stadium is crappier. So those are big handicaps to overcome.

A step closer, perhaps?

New York Cosmos return to the NASL

Thinking the exact same thing.

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but have other former-new NASL teams made the jump to MLS? What is the relationship exactly between the leagues anyhow? I understand that MLS is a tier above, but do they have some sort of promotions system (without relegation) with NASL? Also, what does this mean for the future of the Cosmos? I can't imagine they'll be able to join MLS anytime soon now, and I can't see NASL being happy about potentially losing what could be their most famous team in the future.

A step closer, perhaps?

NASL_NYCosmos_web_0.jpg

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but have other former-new NASL teams made the jump to MLS? What is the relationship exactly between the leagues anyhow? I understand that MLS is a tier above, but do they have some sort of promotions system (without relegation) with NASL? Also, what does this mean for the future of the Cosmos? I can't imagine they'll be able to join MLS anytime soon now, and I can't see NASL being happy about potentially losing what could be their most famous team in the future.

No there is no formal system of promotions. Rather ownership several Division 2 ownership groups (first from the old USL-1 league and now the NASL) have applied for and been granted MLS (Division 1) franchises and then subsequently owned new MLS teams that share the name of their old Division 2 teams. So far the USL Seattle Sounders owners (along with some new big money investors (Microsoft's Paul Allen)) were granted the Seattle MLS expansion team they later named Seattle Sounders FC. Then similar moves happened in Vancouver and Portland last season when the old USL Whitecaps and Timbers owners were granted new MLS franchises who were given the same name. And then this season the NASL Montreal Impact's owner Saputo was granted an MLS franchise in Montreal he also named the Impact.

So while it looks like "promotion" and many of their fans treat it as such, it's really Division 2 ownership groups being granted new MLS expansion franchises who are then given the same names as the lower level teams. Players, coaches, etc... have not been by and large moving up with the ownership. The same thing would have to happen for the Cosmos to be an MLS team. Their ownership group would need to get approval to own the 20th MLS expansion team. They would then have to choose a name (presumably they'd choose Cosmos), and then the league would hold an expansion draft to stock their new team with players. The only relation they'd have to this NASL Cosmos team officially is the name.

As for the leagues, they have no formal relationship beyond both being sanctioned by the US Soccer Federation.

True, while there is no system of either promotion or relegation, the fact that several organizations in the top tier have been awarded MLS expansion franchises illustrates that it can be a factor in the league's decision.

The Cosmos maintain that MLS is the eventual goal, and seem to feel that having an existing organization can only help them in that respect.

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but have other former-new NASL teams made the jump to MLS?

Portland, Vancouver, and Montreal. (Ok, technically only Montreal played in the new NASL; Portland and Vancouver were NASL-aligned in the "USSF Second Division" in 2010). If you go back to when a number of the NASL teams were in what was known as the USL First Division, you can count Seattle in that list.

What is the relationship exactly between the leagues anyhow?

None, outside of both being sanctioned by USSF.

I understand that MLS is a tier above, but do they have some sort of promotions system (without relegation) with NASL?

Nope.

Also, what does this mean for the future of the Cosmos? I can't imagine they'll be able to join MLS anytime soon now, and I can't see NASL being happy about potentially losing what could be their most famous team in the future.

They'll actually have a team playing rather than just being a source of nostalgic brand wankery.*

* That one's just for you, Goth. ;)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

A step closer, perhaps?

No there is no formal system of promotions. Rather ownership several Division 2 ownership groups (first from the old USL-1 league and now the NASL) have applied for and been granted MLS franchises and then subsequently owned new MLS teams that share the name of their old Division 2 teams. So far the USL Seattle Sounders owners (along with some new big money investors (Paul Allen)) were granted the Seattle MLS expansion team they later named Seattle Sounders FC. Then similar moves happened in Vancouver and Portland last season when the old USL Whitecaps and Timbers owners were granted new MLS franchises who were given the same name. And then this season the NASL Montreal Impact's owner Saputo was granted an MLS franchise in Montreal he also named the Impact.

So while it looks like "promotion", it's really D2 ownership groups being granted new MLS expansion franchises who are they given the same names as the lower level teams.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the explanation. So I guess "a" Cosmos team could still theoretically end up in MLS if the ownership group was granted a MLS franchise. The timing is still a little surprising though. I thought MLS wanted to expand relatively quickly with their 20th team, primarily in NYC (though that might've just been the chatter i read on this board). I guess this means another city will most likely get a team first, and possibly a non-Cosmos NYC team could see light too?

A step closer, perhaps?

No there is no formal system of promotions. Rather ownership several Division 2 ownership groups (first from the old USL-1 league and now the NASL) have applied for and been granted MLS franchises and then subsequently owned new MLS teams that share the name of their old Division 2 teams. So far the USL Seattle Sounders owners (along with some new big money investors (Paul Allen)) were granted the Seattle MLS expansion team they later named Seattle Sounders FC. Then similar moves happened in Vancouver and Portland last season when the old USL Whitecaps and Timbers owners were granted new MLS franchises who were given the same name. And then this season the NASL Montreal Impact's owner Saputo was granted an MLS franchise in Montreal he also named the Impact.

So while it looks like "promotion", it's really D2 ownership groups being granted new MLS expansion franchises who are they given the same names as the lower level teams.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the explanation. So I guess "a" Cosmos team could still theoretically end up in MLS if the ownership group was granted a MLS franchise. The timing is still a little surprising though. I thought MLS wanted to expand relatively quickly with their 20th team, primarily in NYC (though that might've just been the chatter i read on this board). I guess this means another city will most likely get a team first, and possibly a non-Cosmos NYC team could see light too?

Possible. But I think MLS wanted the stadium they're planning in Queens to be built before they start the 20th franchise as a NYC team. So "quickly" for them might not be what some of us consider quickly. And it may be the NASL Cosmos owners who get the nod for the 20th MLS team, it may be some other NYC group. I think the Cosmos are trying to position themselves to be that group by joining NASL since the last 4 expansion teams are all owned by groups who got their start in Division 2 (and the 3 teams in the Northwest in particular have turned out to be wildly popular for MLS). But having been owners in D2 is not a prerequisite to get an MLS team. Toronto had a D2 USL team before the MLS Toronto FC were formed in 2007, the Toronto Lynx, and that D2 ownership group did not get the nod to own the MLS team in that city.

A step closer, perhaps?

Possible. But I think MLS wanted the stadium they're planning in Queens to be built before they start the 20th franchise as a NYC team. So "quickly" for them might not be what some of us consider quickly. And it may be the NASL Cosmos owners who get the nod for the 20th MLS team, it may be some other NYC group. I think the Cosmos are trying to position themselves to be that group by joining NASL since the last 4 expansion teams are all owned by groups who got their start in Division 2 (and the 3 teams in the Northwest in particular have turned out to be wildly popular for MLS). But having been owners in D2 is not a prerequisite to get an MLS team. Toronto had a D2 USL team before the MLS Toronto FC were formed in 2007, the Toronto Lynx, and that D2 ownership group did not get the nod to own the MLS team in that city.

I'm definitely excited to see what happens. Ever since hearing about a general Cosmos revival here on the boards, I've had my interests piqued, and have even said that a Cosmos team in the MLS would be the catalyst for me to finally dive into the league. So here's hoping they do well and are fortunate enough to get that 20th franchise bid.

• 9 months later...

Manchester City owner Sheik Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan is said to be in the process of obtaining the rights to an MLS expansion team in New York City.

The prospective owners are willing to pay a $100 million expansion fee for the league’s 20th team, which could be called New York City F.C. and begin play in 2016, the two people said. That would more than double the expansion fee of $40 million paid by the Montreal team that entered M.L.S. in 2012.

After months of public hearings, applications and discussions, a deal for a privately financed $340 million stadium in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, which would hold 25,000 spectators and could be expanded to 35,000, could be completed in several weeks, according to several people with knowledge of the deal.

Ever since hearing about a general Cosmos revival here on the boards, I've had my interests piqued, and have even said that a Cosmos team in the MLS would be the catalyst for me to finally dive into the league. So here's hoping they do well and are fortunate enough to get that 20th franchise bid.

Me, too. But if they're not, then I'll still follow the NASL. Lasted this long without MLS, I can follow another league.

Is the main reason that the MLS hasn't got teams in South East and Central like Idaho, Michigan and the Dakota's that they are big Gridiron areas?

I'd love to see a Louisiana-Alabama Arcadian team. What a mix of influences this team would have.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Probably - MLS alone among pro leagues has determined that it's better to put teams where the fans actually are, rather than where the advertisers would like those fans to be.

No other league would have been smart enough, and gutsy enough, to ignore the south in favor of Portland/Seattle/Vancouver. But how good for the league that they were.

Archived