MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

Question. Is Baltimore's only hope of landing a MLS franchise a scenario where DC United is unable to get a stadium deal anywhere in the DC area?

DCU will not leave DC. *bold prediction*

I feel like RFK would be a really sick soccer stadium if they renovated it, but I don't know how feasible that is.

Its not. Its owned by the Federal Gov, ran by the DC City Gov, getting the 2 to work on anything together is impossible. The general feeling is that DC is close to getting new rich investors that will help them finance a new stadium with DC picking up the tab for infrastructure (as with any other business).

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question. Is Baltimore's only hope of landing a MLS franchise a scenario where DC United is unable to get a stadium deal anywhere in the DC area?

I feel like RFK would be a really sick soccer stadium if they renovated it, but I don't know how feasible that is.

Besides the logistics of having the city and national gov'ts working together, structurally I just don't see it. RFK is literally a round peg (stands) that you're trying to put around s rectangular hole (field). It doesn't work. It's never worked particularly well which is why every other team has abandoned it and every stadium like it save the Oakland Coliseum.

Its not. Its owned by the Federal Gov, ran by the DC City Gov, getting the 2 to work on anything together is impossible. The general feeling is that DC is close to getting new rich investors that will help them finance a new stadium with DC picking up the tab for infrastructure (as with any other business).

I've been hearing that DC United's current target location is in Buzzard Point not too far from the Nationals Park. Seems like that would go well with the way that part of town is being developed. I'm not the biggest soccer fan, but I would hope DC United would stay within DC itself (nothing against NoVA or PG & Montgomery County, MD)

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Besides the logistics of having the city and national gov'ts working together, structurally I just don't see it. RFK is literally a round peg (stands) that you're trying to put around s rectangular hole (field). It doesn't work. It's never worked particularly well which is why every other team has abandoned it and every stadium like it save the Oakland Coliseum.

And they will never tear it down because of the influence of the Kennedy family.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

I've been hearing that DC United's current target location is in Buzzard Point not too far from the Nationals Park. Seems like that would go well with the way that part of town is being developed. I'm not the biggest soccer fan, but I would hope DC United would stay within DC itself (nothing against NoVA or PG & Montgomery County, MD)

NoVa is never going to happen, Va just doesnt build stadiums for pro teams, no help whatsoever. DC did the dance with PG County and that didnt work out very well at all (actually it was a complete embarrassment), MoCo is too far out of the way for most of Uniteds fanbase. DC is the only place thats feasible and Buzzard Point is the best bet right now.

Part of that is acknowledging the local history of the sport. Don't pretend it's a brand-new product. Using a name like "Sounders" or "Cosmos" is a major component.

I think the best analogy is the use of "minor league" names like Orioles, Angels, Marlins, Brewers and Padres for MLB teams. In the cases of Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, the old names are linked to the "failed" NASL, but they are also linked to a lengthy period of use with teams in lower divisions. Both the NASL and lower division uses of the names have created goodwill among enough of the fanbase to have value to the new teams.

This is a good example of why it's worthwhile to bring the old names back. People remember them. Even in Denver, there are people who talk about going to old Denver Bears games. No reason to have named the Rockies that, but the Rockies themselves of course took the name of the old hockey club. Names do resonate in communities and if sport fans have a memory of a legacy franchise -- successful or not -- it's worthwhile to capitalize on it when you can.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

And they will never tear it down because of the influence of the Kennedy family.

Unless the Washington Redskins are involved in a deal where they (Redskins) would finance rebuilding a new RFK. Leadership within the DC gov't has not been shy about the fact that they want the Skins back in DC. It's also been implied that loopholes exist that could get the Redskins out of their current deal in Landover, MD early. Just how early remains to be seen.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

So is Atlanta a no? I don't understand how the Southeast can't get one MLS team, Atlanta making the most sense IMO. North Carolina is one of the best states for soccer behind California, Texas, and Florida. It kills me how every other region has a team and LA has two and were discussing the New York area having 2 as well? If it had to be one of the two above I guess I would have to go Orlando over Cosmos.

MLS, unlike the NHL (and to its credit), isn't terribly interested in putting a team in every sizeable market, or even every region. They look at every market individually with no regard to the league's footprint.

I don't know enough about Atlanta. How's their history with clubs?

RFK is falling apart, at least it was when I was there for a DCU game in 2007.

And re ATL, the Atlanta Silverbacks have been around for awhile and now play in the NASL. They built a 5K stadium that has the ability to expand to 15K, but is that large enough for MLS?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

MLS, unlike the NHL (and to its credit), isn't terribly interested in putting a team in every sizeable market, or even every region. They look at every market individually with no regard to the league's footprint.

I don't know enough about Atlanta. How's their history with clubs?

Atlanta gets decent attendance, 4740 through June 23rd which is good enough for second in NASL behind San Antonio which is getting around 9810 through the same time frame.

Here's a good joke for you all:

How viable would Indianapolis be as an MLS market somewhere down the line?

Arguments yay or nil...go. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How far "down the line" are we talking? Because I really don't think this league has the capacity go beyond adding two more teams. With that looking more and more likely to be NYC and Orlando, the rest of the country is just out of luck. I've heard arguments why Atlanta, Minnesota, St. Louis, and a handful of other cities all deserve teams. I just don't see how the MLS can absorb much more without diluting the talent pool even further.

At that point, it'll be just like every other big league, with cities hoping to get a team via relocation.

Relocation, expansion, 2016, 2047...hell I don't know. I just figured I'd throw it out there just for the sake of...well, throwing it out there. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How far "down the line" are we talking? Because I really don't think this league has the capacity go beyond adding two more teams. With that looking more and more likely to be NYC and Orlando, the rest of the country is just out of luck. I've heard arguments why Atlanta, Minnesota, St. Louis, and a handful of other cities all deserve teams. I just don't see how the MLS can absorb much more without diluting the talent pool even further.

At that point, it'll be just like every other big league, with cities hoping to get a team via relocation.

If they add Orlando they'll add at least one more. They're not going to leave the league with an odd number of teams. Which is why Orlando probably isn't happening for a while after NYC 2.

If they add Orlando they'll add at least one more. They're not going to leave the league with an odd number of teams. Which is why Orlando probably isn't happening for a while after NYC 2.

Orlando added, it would be twenty. FIFA wants soccer to expand in the US/Canada, so I'm thinking they'll allow 22 or 24 MLS clubs (Orlando, New York, San Antonio for 22, with Tampa and, I'm just throwing it out, Minneapolis for 24)

soundersbanner.png

They're not going to leave the league with an odd number of teams. Which is why Orlando probably isn't happening for a while after NYC 2.

Orlando added, it would be twenty.

Not if the Cosmos beats Orlando to it, which is what he was suggesting.

Bingo. NYC2 is an MLS pet project and likely 20th team. Which means Orlando won't happen for a while until number 22 is ready to join up. I'd not expect Orlando for at least 5 years after NYC2.

Archived