MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

No, I don't think that will stop it from being truly "major league". I also don't see that argument being made anywhere really. The Commissioner wants a nationwide foorprint, I can definitely understand why that is a long-term goal but I don't think it's a necessary component of being "major league".

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots to like about this. No Wilpons (yet), the owners playing to the MLS's grassrootsy expansion phase they're going through, picking Queens as the base, the involvement of stadium-building enthusiast Michael Bloomberg, the old-school Cosmos highlight reel set to KRS-One and Buckshot on their website, and, the best part:

slide_9147_121460_large.jpg

Pele's awesome jacket.

New York Cosmos return; possible entrance into MLS in 2013?

Mascot --

kramer2.jpg

He even lives in NYC (albeit Manhattan, not Queens).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Lots to like about this. No Wilpons (yet), the owners playing to the MLS's grassrootsy expansion phase they're going through, picking Queens as the base, the involvement of stadium-building enthusiast Michael Bloomberg, the old-school Cosmos highlight reel set to KRS-One and Buckshot on their website, and, the best part:

slide_9147_121460_large.jpg

Pele's awesome jacket.

Sure is.

Nice to see that they're using the classic "New York" logo.

IMG_6247-1024x768.jpg

Put a team in Louisville. (I know, it's not gonna happen, but still...)

So you're from Kentucky.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Put a team in Louisville. (I know, it's not gonna happen, but still...)

So you're from Kentucky.

No, he's from Tennessee.

No, Tanner1997 was from Tennessee. I'm from Kentucky. Rams80 was right this time.

And honestly, not in the least bit surprising.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I am immediately on board with the Cosmos deal, since the team that currently plays in the NY/NJ metropolitan area are poorly named and have Henry on their squad. Plus the Cosmos name has great history behind it, and of course, Pele (and his awesome jacket.)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I am immediately on board with the Cosmos deal, since the team that currently plays in the NY/NJ metropolitan area are poorly named and have Henry on their squad. Plus the Cosmos name has great history behind it, and of course, Pele (and his awesome jacket.)

I do not mind a second team in NYC, but what I do disagree with is the use of the NASL team names. The NASL had a nice 16 year run, but failed. Just because some of us who grew up with it and the names does not mean that there is much positive along with those names. To me, those team names are just as tainted/failed as:

Cars renamed: Sterling, Merkur, Bricklin, DeLoren,

Retailers: Tweeter, (Nobody beats) The Wiz, Lechmere, Venture

You may have nice memories, but they failed. Let it go with the Strikers, Earthquakes, Rowdies and Strikers. If the ownership group cannot get the name, will they get the name New York Arrows and roll out Steve Zungul? I am glad that the NBA team in Memphis was not renamed the "Tams" or "Pros".

Ottawa did the same thing with the Senators.

I think in sports, having a connection to the past, even if things failed, is not so terribly awful a thing.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I do not mind a second team in NYC, but what I do disagree with is the use of the NASL team names. The NASL had a nice 16 year run, but failed. Just because some of us who grew up with it and the names does not mean that there is much positive along with those names.

Seems to be working fine for Seattle, Portland and Vancouver. :therock:

I do not mind a second team in NYC, but what I do disagree with is the use of the NASL team names. The NASL had a nice 16 year run, but failed. Just because some of us who grew up with it and the names does not mean that there is much positive along with those names.

They are still failed names from a failed league.

The thoughts of posters here on the Portland and Vancouver logos strengthen my belief. It is similar to the "Mad Men" love which viewers give to that show. They like the style of the time and the presentation of the show (backgrounds, character dress, use of brands of the 60's), but when taking a step back, the plot and dialogue is average at best. It gets picky.

There is a romanticism with the NASL with those born prior to 1994, as since they have disposable income, there is the need to bring those childhood good times back. Older people see soccer in North America as the NASL, thus in order to accept it, it must be more like the NASL. That is a failed way to look at it. The change to FC Dallas was right as was the lack of change to Denver Arsenal.

As a Bulls fan, I'm fine with a second club coming in. I say bring on the Cosmos. I just wish the MLS would expand further south. As a Virginian, I would love to see a club come to this state and play in the Hampton Roads region. I know D.C. United are fairly close by, but they're still a 2 and a half to 3 hour drive away depending on traffic. Plus, I'm sick of rooting for D.C. teams. I think with the population continuing to grow in Virginia, especially with more Northern and foreign citizens, we could be a decent fit. Also, with the military background of the area, visitors can come and enjoy games alongside home fans. I think the UFL coming to the region has boosted the spirits of sports spectators and we're all excited. And yes, I know the UFL is a seperate sport entirely, but soccer is a sport that is flourishing here. Against the likes of St. Louis, Phoenix, Miami, Tampa, etc., Norfolk/Virginia Beach may be a long shot of ever achieving this. But, with the perfect owner, good front office, and marketing staff, Hampton Roads could be a comfortable fit.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Must be the caffeine keeping me awake. I get how the league failed, how did the names fail exactly?

Must be the caffeine keeping me awake. I get how the league failed, how did the names fail exactly?

I guess, because some of the clubs that used those names in the NASL may not have been very successful? Therefore, giving them a reason not to use it due to unsuccessful past experience? Not that I agree with not using the names. But, it's a possible explaination.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

The team and the "brands" in the league failed. Over a decade later, when pro soocer was brought back, people just remembered the old names. The expectations with in the "Cosmos" name may also be too much for any group to bear. Getting the name from Peppe Pinton gives him money rather than develop the sport since you will have to tell children on the legend of the "old Cosmos".

While people remember the Cosmos name, it will may little impact on if people will buy seats. If a tee is bought from a person who grew up in Manhattan, but now lives in Charlotte (and cares little about MLS) the name means nothing.

Archived