MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Commish Garber briefly talked about expansion last night at BMO Field in Toronto:
Stadium issues were also of note between another Canadian city and its soccer club. Garber said that the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer Leagues First Division are prime candidates to be the next MLS expansion club as long as the team can bring Montreal's Saputo Stadium up to league standards.

"We're in discussions with [impact owners] Joey Saputo and his family," Garber said. "The next step for us is to get public support to expand and renovate that stadium. Without that we're not going to be able to go to Montreal, since that stadium can't really support what we think a Montreal MLS team will be."

The commissioner said that the delay in stadium suitability will keep the Impact from joining former USL organizations Portland and Vancouver in moving up to Major League Soccer in 2011, but Montreal is still a strong candidate for expansion given its proven soccer history.

"It's not happening in 2011, it'll happen sometime after that," Garber said. "But I'd like to see three teams in Canada."

As an observer of the MLS expansion process here in Portland, Garber's statements here are interesting to me.

A few months ago, Saputo comes out claiming he restarted talks with MLS and could have a franchise by 2011. Garber did nothing to discourage this, noting in a blog on the MLS Web site that Saputo was working to expand his stadium and saying "I believe Montreal is a very viable MLS market and I plan to keep in regular contact with the Saputos as we continue to develop our future expansion plans."

This all came out at a time when Paulson was struggling to come up with a financing plan with the City of Portland for renovating PGE Park to MLS standards. It felt at the time that this Montreal banter was being thrown about to apply some pressure on Portland. I spoke with at least one team official at the time who agreed.

Now that Portland's agreements with the city are in place, Paulson apparently feels free to discount Montreal for 2011.

Commish Garber briefly talked about expansion last night at BMO Field in Toronto:
Stadium issues were also of note between another Canadian city and its soccer club. Garber said that the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer Leagues First Division are prime candidates to be the next MLS expansion club as long as the team can bring Montreal's Saputo Stadium up to league standards.

"We're in discussions with [impact owners] Joey Saputo and his family," Garber said. "The next step for us is to get public support to expand and renovate that stadium. Without that we're not going to be able to go to Montreal, since that stadium can't really support what we think a Montreal MLS team will be."

The commissioner said that the delay in stadium suitability will keep the Impact from joining former USL organizations Portland and Vancouver in moving up to Major League Soccer in 2011, but Montreal is still a strong candidate for expansion given its proven soccer history.

"It's not happening in 2011, it'll happen sometime after that," Garber said. "But I'd like to see three teams in Canada."

As an observer of the MLS expansion process here in Portland, Garber's statements here are interesting to me.

A few months ago, Saputo comes out claiming he restarted talks with MLS and could have a franchise by 2011. Garber did nothing to discourage this, noting in a blog on the MLS Web site that Saputo was working to expand his stadium and saying "I believe Montreal is a very viable MLS market and I plan to keep in regular contact with the Saputos as we continue to develop our future expansion plans."

This all came out at a time when Paulson was struggling to come up with a financing plan with the City of Portland for renovating PGE Park to MLS standards. It felt at the time that this Montreal banter was being thrown about to apply some pressure on Portland. I spoke with at least one team official at the time who agreed.

Now that Portland's agreements with the city are in place, Paulson apparently feels free to discount Montreal for 2011.

Does anybody know exactly what MLSE (TFC owners) thinks of having Montréal in the MLS? There is long tradition in Canada of teams and cities bitching each other in order to protect the Canadian revenue pie: 1967 NHL Expansion, 1979 NHL Expansion, 2010 Olympics Canadian Bid Selection.

I would like to believe Garber when he says he would like three teams in canada. However, we know how much MLSE wants to control sports in Canada. I am afraid that this resurgence of Montreal as a front-runner for the 19th or 20th is just bluff.

This is unfortunate because soccer is big in the Province of Quebec for the right reasons: Big amateur participation, Large support for FIFA national teams from different ethnic communities in Montreal especially. And we have natural grass at Saputo Stadium (Ha ha just kidding my Toronto friends!)

:flagcanada:

It Should Be Lawful for the Queen of Hockey Land, by and with the Advice and the Consent of the Sinners and the House of Pain, to Make Laws for Pucks, Hot Dogs and Good Government...

• 5 months later...

It seems that Montreal will be in the MLS sooner than later.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/01/montreal-plans-on-making-mls-impact-sooner-rather-than-later.html

I think a Francophone team is a good addition to the league, but I'm a fan of the current name: Impact de Montréal. Any of you folks up north know if a name change would occur if the team jumps to MLS? How is the name received in Montreal? Is it like Minnesota or Utah, where people are huge fans of the Wild or Jazz or RSL, but not particularly big fans of the team names?

I've heard Olympique de Montréal tossed out... Anyone know the status of this name? Does someone own the rights from the old NASL club? Would the IOC or l'OM be able to prevent this name?

Sorry... lots of questions.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I seriously doubt either Olympic committee could do anything since "olympique" could just as easily refer to the original games that the modern games take their name from. Not sure if anyone owns the name, but none of the other current/upcoming clubs (Earthquakes, Sounders, Timbers, etc.) have had any trouble resurrecting their old NASL identities, so I don't see why it'd be a problem for Montreal.

• 5 months later...

Bumping this with some tidbits from MLS commissioner Don Garber:

SI.com: MLS has made some solid choices recently with expansion: Seattle, Toronto, Philadelphia, with Portland and Vancouver coming in next year and Montreal as the 19th team in 2012. What comes after that?

Garber: If we could write the book, the next chapter would be a second team in New York. We're working hard to achieve that. We've been spending time talking to potential investors, doing a lot of planning to figure out how to make the economics work. The Red Bulls have been very supportive of having a hometown rival. I hope our 20th team is in New York City. We've got a lot of work to do to achieve that.

SI.com: Would it be in Brooklyn, Queens or somewhere else?

Garber: We're looking at a number of different sites, sites in Queens for the most part, and not just at Shea but Long Island City and Flushing Meadow Park. So we have three particular sites we're looking at. But we have a lot of work to do to get something done. It's a very difficult market, very crowded.

SI.com: What year would you be hoping to start that team?

Garber: It certainly wouldn't be any earlier than 2013, and we're racing up against a deadline to get it done by '13. In order to get it done by 2013 we've got to get something done in the next 12 months.

SI.com: Where do Atlanta and Florida and the Southeast fit in for expansion then?

Garber: Beyond New York, Atlanta is still very engaged and started a committee to support the sport at a wide variety of levels. San Diego has just entered the mix. The man who bought the Silverdome in Detroit has been in discussions with us. I get probably 10 to 20 e-mails a day from fans in Miami trying to have us pay attention to their interest. I believe strongly that we need to be south of Washington D.C. in order for us truly to be a national league. But like everything with us, we're not going to do it just to round out the map. We'll do it when we have the right owner, the right stadium, when we have a sense the fans will support it and it will be a success like our other recent expansion teams.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/grant_wahl/07/28/allstar.garber/1.html#ixzz0v0adSjB2

SI.com:Garber: Beyond New York, Atlanta is still very engaged and started a committee to support the sport at a wide variety of levels. San Diego has just entered the mix. The man who bought the Silverdome in Detroit has been in discussions with us. I get probably 10 to 20 e-mails a day from fans in Miami trying to have us pay attention to their interest. I believe strongly that we need to be south of Washington D.C. in order for us truly to be a national league. But like everything with us, we're not going to do it just to round out the map. We'll do it when we have the right owner, the right stadium, when we have a sense the fans will support it and it will be a success like our other recent expansion teams.

Translation: We've learned absolutely nothing from the NHL.

I hope this is just politically correct rhetoric rather than the MLS party-line. Pro soccer works in the Northeast and Midwest because of the strong legacy of local ethnic teams in those areas. It works in the Southwest because of the Mexican influence on the overall culture. It works in the northwest because the residents in the larger cities wish they were European... something they happen to share with Toronto and Montreal... the latter which is more loyal to France than anywhere on this side of the pond. Consider the fact that NFL teams in SEC country still have to rely on displaced northerners who go to see their team from back home for sustenance and tell me why anyone would think the MLS in the south is a good idea.

Ummm....minor question/concern. Hasn't New York been a relative disaster for the MLS since Day One? Shouldn't the Red Bulls stabilize and prosper first before you throw a second team in there?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ummm....minor question/concern. Hasn't New York been a relative disaster for the MLS since Day One? Shouldn't the Red Bulls stabilize and prosper first before you throw a second team in there?

The Metro Stars were a disaster. The Red Bulls, in my opinion, have been doing great ever since the whole Red Bull purchase, especially now being second in the East and most recently obtaining Thierry Henry. Also, with the introduction of their new arena this season. I think things are looking up for Red Bull New York. As for another New York team, though, I have to agree with you. The league has to make sure the Red Bulls can fully stabilize themselves before any consideration of a second New York club comes in.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

SI.com:Garber: Beyond New York, Atlanta is still very engaged and started a committee to support the sport at a wide variety of levels. San Diego has just entered the mix. The man who bought the Silverdome in Detroit has been in discussions with us. I get probably 10 to 20 e-mails a day from fans in Miami trying to have us pay attention to their interest. I believe strongly that we need to be south of Washington D.C. in order for us truly to be a national league. But like everything with us, we're not going to do it just to round out the map. We'll do it when we have the right owner, the right stadium, when we have a sense the fans will support it and it will be a success like our other recent expansion teams.

I hope this is just politically correct rhetoric rather than the MLS party-line. Pro soccer works in the Northeast and Midwest because of the strong legacy of local ethnic teams in those areas. It works in the Southwest because of the Mexican influence on the overall culture. It works in the northwest because the residents in the larger cities wish they were European... something they happen to share with Toronto and Montreal... the latter which is more loyal to France than anywhere on this side of the pond. Consider the fact that NFL teams in SEC country still have to rely on displaced northerners who go to see their team from back home for sustenance and tell me why anyone would think the MLS in the south is a good idea.

Disagree. The Latino population is still residing in the southeast more than ever. They pulled the plug too early on both Tampa and Miami. The Atlanta area is topical while the Kennesaw State University Stadium is in Cobb county, Gwinnett County is now a minority majority county.

Vancouver won today's coin flip during the MLS All-star Game. Meaning:

The Whitecaps win means the club will now have the right to declare first priority on one of the player mechanisms on August 11. The Whitecaps and Timbers will then alternate choices through the priority list.

PLAYER MECHANISMS

- First pick in the MLS Expansion Draft

First pick of those players left unprotected by existing MLS clubs.

- First pick in the MLS SuperDraft

First pick in the college and Generation Adidas entry draft.

- USSF D-2 Player Priority on opening of signing period

The Whitecaps and Timbers will be given priority over other MLS teams, if they wish to sign a player out of the USSF D-2 Pro League.

- Allocation Ranking

Priority on any MLS or USA international players returning to the league.

- Designated Player Ranking

If two MLS clubs wish to negotiate with a Designated Player (DP), the club with the higher DP ranking slot will receive priority.

- Discovery Ranking

If two MLS clubs wish to discover the same player, the club with the higher ranking slot has priority to negotiate with the player.

- Lottery Ranking

Whitecaps FC will occupy either the 17th or 18th slot in priority.

-Waiver Ranking

What a screw job...NY does not deserve a second team over cities like Atlanta, Miami, and St. Louis. (Wish I could include PHX in expansion talk).

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Bumping this with some tidbits from MLS commissioner Don Garber:

SI.com: MLS has made some solid choices recently with expansion: Seattle, Toronto, Philadelphia, with Portland and Vancouver coming in next year and Montreal as the 19th team in 2012. What comes after that?

Garber: If we could write the book, the next chapter would be a second team in New York. We're working hard to achieve that. We've been spending time talking to potential investors, doing a lot of planning to figure out how to make the economics work. The Red Bulls have been very supportive of having a hometown rival. I hope our 20th team is in New York City. We've got a lot of work to do to achieve that.

SI.com: Would it be in Brooklyn, Queens or somewhere else?

Garber: We're looking at a number of different sites, sites in Queens for the most part, and not just at Shea but Long Island City and Flushing Meadow Park. So we have three particular sites we're looking at. But we have a lot of work to do to get something done. It's a very difficult market, very crowded.

SI.com: What year would you be hoping to start that team?

Garber: It certainly wouldn't be any earlier than 2013, and we're racing up against a deadline to get it done by '13. In order to get it done by 2013 we've got to get something done in the next 12 months.

SI.com: Where do Atlanta and Florida and the Southeast fit in for expansion then?

Garber: Beyond New York, Atlanta is still very engaged and started a committee to support the sport at a wide variety of levels. San Diego has just entered the mix. The man who bought the Silverdome in Detroit has been in discussions with us. I get probably 10 to 20 e-mails a day from fans in Miami trying to have us pay attention to their interest. I believe strongly that we need to be south of Washington D.C. in order for us truly to be a national league. But like everything with us, we're not going to do it just to round out the map. We'll do it when we have the right owner, the right stadium, when we have a sense the fans will support it and it will be a success like our other recent expansion teams.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/grant_wahl/07/28/allstar.garber/1.html#ixzz0v0adSjB2

I was talking to a family friend today who is somewhat well connected to the MLS (this year he trained Philadelphia Union for their preseason camp), and he's heard that the MLS is strongly considering placing an expansion side in Detroit. He believes that Detroit will have a team in the next 5 years.

If what he is saying is true, then this weekend will be a huge indicator on whether or not a MLS team will be supported in Detroit as AC Milan is playing Panathinaikos FC at the Pontiac Silverdome (former home of the Lions/hosted World Cup game in 1994). If there is a good enough turnout, it could mean big things for the future of Michigan soccer. Here's a Detroit News article on the international friendly along with a look into the Silverdome's new owners.

AC Milan to play Greek soccer club at Silverdome on Aug. 6

Vincent Goodwill / The Detroit News

Pontiac -- For years people wondered what would become of the Pontiac Silverdome. They now have at least one answer.

Triple Play Sports and Entertainment, which own and operate the Silverdome, announced Tuesday the legendary stadium will host a soccer match between AC Milan and Panathinaikos FC, two of Europe's most popular teams, at 8 p.m. August 6.

It's been dubbed as "Match of the Titans," and is the most significant soccer match played in the Detroit area since the 1994 World Cup. It'll feature 17 players who are participating in this year's World Cup.

Roger Faulkner, senior advisor to Triple Sports and Entertainment, believes this year's World Cup is providing the opportunity to capitalize on soccer's popularity and that the Silverdome is the perfect venue.

"There's 150,000 fans who have never seen a live soccer game," he said. "There's a starvation factor, and the cork's about to blow."

The playing surface on which the match will be played no longer is a big concern. In 1994 the price to import natural grass to the Silverdome was more than $1 million. Faulkner said it'll cost less than $100,000 this time.

"It's not as complex as it was in 1994 when we shipped grass in from California," Faulkner said. "There's experience with grass fields being laid and being there three or four days."

Steve Apostolopoulos, director of the sports division of Triple Play Sports and Entertainment, hopes the match helps establish a consistent soccer presence at the Silverdome and in Metro Detroit.

"It's been in the works for a long time, and we finally secured the event," he said. "The Silverdome is a great place for sporting events."

Apostolopoulos also said preliminary discussions for bringing an MLS team for Metro Detroit are underway.

"Participation (in soccer) across the country is huge, and here it's huge," Faulkner said. "We haven't had someone with the financial resources and the passion to make it happen. We have that with the Apostolopoulos family."

Sixteen years ago Metro Detroit was ranked by FIFA as a top 10 soccer market, and in Faulkner's words, "We thought we were golden, but nothing happened."

Faulkner was concerned when an unknown group purchased the Silverdome last November for $583,000. After he met with the Apostolopoulos family, he thought a golden opportunity was upon him.

"When they bought the Silverdome, most thought they would sell it," Faulkner said. "After I met with them in January, I thought it was the most marvelous thing to happen for soccer in Michigan."

Because of Metro Detroit's economic struggles, Faulkner and Apostolopoulos haven't set expectations for the match's attendance. They're expecting a reasonable boom to local business, though.

"The players will be arriving August 4th," Silverdome spokesperson Tom Constand said. "Ninety-nine percent of operations will be with local businesses. Over 600 people will be employed."

Constand and Faulkner also stressed soccer wouldn't disappear as it did last decade.

"It's not a one-shot event," Faulkner said. "It's the beginning of continuing soccer promotions in Michigan. A big turning point ... the momentum is tremendous."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100615/SPORTS07/6150416/AC-Milan-to-play-Greek-soccer-club-at-Silverdome-on-Aug.-6#ixzz0v76cGsui

The Whitecaps win means the club will now have the right to declare first priority on one of the player mechanisms on August 11. The Whitecaps and Timbers will then alternate choices through the priority list.

PLAYER MECHANISMS

The Whitecaps and Timbers will be given priority over other MLS teams, if they wish to sign a player out of the USSF D-2 Pro League.

- Allocation Ranking

If two MLS clubs wish to negotiate with a Designated Player (DP), the club with the higher DP ranking slot will receive priority.

- Discovery Ranking

If two MLS clubs wish to discover the same player, the club with the higher ranking slot has priority to negotiate with the player.

- Lottery Ranking

-Waiver Ranking

Glad to see the Whitecaps win, but as a promotional exercise, "this coin flip gives you 12.3 options" is a little less effective than "the first pick overall goes to winner of this flip"

Which is more valuable, first pick in expansion draft or first pick in the college draft? I would assume college draft, since my experience with expansion drafts in other leagues basically gives you with first choice of a bunch of scrubs.

PLAYER MECHANISMS

- Allocation Ranking

- Discovery Ranking

- Lottery Ranking

-Waiver Ranking

Glad to see the Whitecaps win, but as a promotional exercise, "this coin flip gives you 12.3 options" is a little less effective than "the first pick overall goes to winner of this flip"

Which is more valuable, first pick in expansion draft or first pick in the college draft? I would assume college draft, since my experience with expansion drafts in other leagues basically gives you with first choice of a bunch of scrubs.

Indeed. It is mildly convoluted but, at the same time, gives the winning team a choice in how they want to build their team. As far as expansion picks go, Philadelphia got Le Toux from Seattle and that is working out pretty well for them. They are not always bench warmers.

Disagree. The Latino population is still residing in the southeast more than ever. They pulled the plug too early on both Tampa and Miami. The Atlanta area is topical while the Kennesaw State University Stadium is in Cobb county, Gwinnett County is now a minority majority county.

This is exactly right. I highly doubt that teams can't succeed in Tampa and Miami. Hopefully the NASL (or whatever the hell that thing is actually called) teams in both cities can get the gears working to eventually bring MLS back.

In this climate? Detroit?

I'm skeptical.

Seconded...Not sure the economics are there during the recession and beyond. Even if the climate were stable, Detroit should take a number and get behind, St. Louis, Miami, and Atlanta to name a few.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

This is exactly right. I highly doubt that teams can't succeed in Tampa and Miami. Hopefully the NASL (or whatever the hell that thing is actually called) teams in both cities can get the gears working to eventually bring MLS back.

I could see Miami and Tampa working... although technically, neither is in SEC country nor would they be considered "traditionally southern." My point is that there's no evidence of any demand for soccer in the southeast, yet Atlanta keeps getting brought up for no apparent reason than "we need a team in the southeast?" Is anyone seriously gonna look at a league that already has a presence in every other major region of the US AND the three largest markets in Canada and say they're not major league because they lack a team in the part of the country that has yet to embrace the freakin' NFL?

Archived