MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

Wow - Portland has the market cornered on international sporting wear companies?

And how ballsy of Adidas, to set up shop in Nike's backyard?

That's not all that unusual, actually. It's more about having an abundance of available talent in that industry than it is about one-upmanship.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does everyone here seemingly have such a hard-on for Ottawa to get an MLS franchise?

Eugene Melnyk

I want to know the logic behind it.

Eugene Melnyk and his deep pockets are the logic behind Ottawa's MLS expansion bid. Garber and Company are enamored of his financial resources.

Money talks... bulls**t walks, as far as MLS is concerned. Just ask Jeff Cooper.

Yeah, MLS has made it clear that so long as you have the $, you could set up shop in the middle of Wyoming.

How's that stadium coming along in Philly?

I can't figure out how to do the schedule with Portland and Vancouver...The only way I see is a single table but then they would HAVE to scrap some games from somewhere; probably superliga.

Simple. Move Dallas and Houston to the Eastern Conference for 2011 and when two Eastern Cities are awarded expansion teams in 2012, move them back.

Then again, they can always do the three Conference thing from the early 2000s.

That's exactly what I thought of but I realized that would leave the east with 10 and the west with 8..

2012: The final expansion teams are given to Ottawa and St. Louis.

I must ask.

Why does everyone here seemingly have such a hard-on for Ottawa to get an MLS franchise? It's a city with little to no soccer history, who only entered the fray because Eugene Melnyk wants to build a new stadium in the hopes of getting an MLS team, in order to stick it to the CFL expansion owners who HAVE a team, but need a new place to play?

I understand a lot of you hold Toronto in such reverence that they must absolutely HAVE a close regional rival, but I want to know the logic behind it.

Well, it's only an assumption right now, Lee. The only cities I think most of us hear about when it comes to bids for MLS expansion are Ottawa and St. Louis. Of course, this can change. There are still other locations out there that could get those slots like Atlanta, Miami, Minnesota, and possibly Montreal (If they do get their act together).

Why does everyone here seemingly have such a hard-on for Ottawa to get an MLS franchise?

Eugene Melnyk

Eugene Melnyk and his deep pockets are the logic behind Ottawa's MLS expansion bid. Garber and Company are enamored of his financial resources.

Money talks... bulls**t walks, as far as MLS is concerned. Just ask Jeff Cooper.

So what happens when the money tires of its toy?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Eugene Melnyk

It sells to the Gliebermans?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, he didn't officially confirm it, but he might as well have.

Bah. </homer>

How about St. Louis just steal the flippin' Wizards. Forget this expansion garbage.

Not gonna happen pal.

They are building an 18,500 seat stadium off I-435. So, come on over to KC to see some great MLS action.

:D

Has the recession jeopardized the funding for that?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

He, or she, sells to another deep-pocketed owner.

Which could - if he doesn't have better luck lining-up financial partners in the future than he has to date - still leave Cooper on the outside looking in.

Not if the sale price is less than the asking price for an expansion franchise-whichh is what I suspect is the case.

Today, we are all otaku.

That's an interesting point - as of last year, Forbes had valued all but three MLS franchises below the current $40M expansion fee. Compare that with the NFL, where every single franchise is valued above the Texans' $700M buy-in fee.

But under your scenario, MLS would still have to approve the sale. If Cooper can't come up with more money, he won't have any more success buying an existing franchise than he did landing an expansion one.

That's an interesting point - as of last year, Forbes had valued all but three MLS franchises below the current $40M expansion fee.

And, in a revelation sure to make St Louisians even madder, the Whitecaps apparently paid only $35 million for their ticket to the party.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

And, in a revelation sure to make St Louisians even madder...

I have friends from St. Louis. I've enjoyed my visits to the city. I recognize the role that the city has played in developing soccer U.S. soccer talent. All of that said, St. Louis residents need to end their "pity party" over not landing a 2011 MLS expansion franchise.

Cooper's bid was undercapitalized. He might be a rich attorney, but Cooper's rich isn't "rich enough". More importantly, the combined wealth of his potential MLS ownership group doesn't measure-up to Joe Roth, Adrian Hanauer, Drew Carey and Paul Allen rich. It doesn't measure-up to Greg Kerfoot, Steve Luczo, Jeff Mallett and Steve Nash rich. It doesn't measure-up to Merritt and Hank Paulson rich. It doesn't measure-up to Jay Sugarman, Christopher and Robert Buccini, Dave Pollin, James Nevels, William Doran and Nick Sakiewicz rich. Who made that determination? The folks handing out the franchises. Which is their right. 'Nuff said.

Cooper's passion for the sport of soccer and desire to bring an MLS franchise to St. Louis may well be deep-seated. His proposed stadium development plan may well be top-notch. That said, the ownership group that he's assembled is missing the type of deep-pocketed partner that sets Major League Soccer's mind at ease. We're talking a deeeeeeeeeeeeeep-pocketed partner. If he'd been able to produce such a partner, St. Louis would be in MLS. He didn't. Despite repeated hints and rumors that the announcement of such a partner was imminent, Cooper simply didn't deliver.

I also find grousing about Seattle, Vancouver or Portland getting into MLS ahead of St. Louis annoying because it ignores the fact that all three of the Pacific Northwest cities have supported high-level outdoor soccer for decades.

* Seattle hosted the NASL Sounders from 1974 through 1983, F.C Seattle/F.C. Seattle Storm/ Seattle Storm of the WSA, USL and PCSL from 1985 through 1993, and the Seattle Sounders of the APSL, A-League and USL-1 from 1994 through 2008.

* Vancouver hosted the NASL Whitecaps from 1974 through 1984, the Vancouver 86ers of the CSL, APSL and A-League from 1986 through 2000, and has hosted the current incarnation of the Whitecaps since 2001 in the A-League and USL-1.

* Portland hosted the NASL Timbers from 1975 through 1982, F.C. Portland of the WSA from 1985 through 1988, the Portland Timbers of the WSA and APSL in 1989 and 1990, and the current incarnation of the Timbers since 2001 in the A-League and USL-1.

By comparison, high-level outdoor soccer contested in national - or major regional - leagues has been largely absent from the St. Louis scene since the Stars folded following the 1977 NASL season. The St. Louis soccer marketplace turned its attention to the bastardized sport of indoor soccer instead.

Bottom line? If St. Louis soccer fans want to direct their wrath at anyone over their city's inability to secure a Major League soccer franchise, it shouldn't be MLS or expansion teams in Seattle, Portland or Vancouver. Their ire should be trained on Jeff Cooper and his inability to secure a deep-pocketed partner.

That's an interesting point - as of last year, Forbes had valued all but three MLS franchises below the current $40M expansion fee. Compare that with the NFL, where every single franchise is valued above the Texans' $700M buy-in fee.

But under your scenario, MLS would still have to approve the sale. If Cooper can't come up with more money, he won't have any more success buying an existing franchise than he did landing an expansion one.

To add to that, with expansion fees topping franchise value, it's entirely possible MLS would pull an Indiana Firebirds and fold the franchise, rather than selling it under their perceived/inflated value.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

BIB, convince me an MLS owner needs to be Paul Allen rich... go ahead...

They don't.

MLS is quickly becoming a rich boys club that just doesn't have room for a down to earth, non-billionaire, regular joe like Jeff Cooper.

Was money the issue? Yes. Did his group have more than enough to effectively run an MLS franchise? Yessir.

Hope soccer can find some other way to develop in America, because the MLS can go to hell.

To add to that, with expansion fees topping franchise value, it's entirely possible MLS would pull an Indiana Firebirds and fold the franchise, rather than selling it under their perceived/inflated value.

Hence my rather salient point about owners tiring of their toys.

Any chance the billionaires club can recoup their initial investment? If not, we may be looking at a repeat of the Arena League.

Today, we are all otaku.

Was money the issue? Yes.

As it often is in sports or, for that matter, any business venture attempting to achieve/maintain profitability.

Hope soccer can find some other way to develop in America, because the MLS can go to hell.

Every so often, Justin, you relapse into this infantile, ultra-defensive posture regarding your city and/or chosen teams. It's disappointing to see. St. Louis will get its team, once Cooper (or someone else) pops up with the proper backing for the grand vision in Collinsville, or wherever the plans take them. What Cooper has now is a lot of motivation, a lot of talk, a huge corporate name ponying up precisely zero dollars, and an iconic athlete perhaps making a token gesture. To continue the AFL analogy here, at this point:

Albert Pujols : St. Louis Soccer United :: Deion Sanders : Austin Wranglers.

And when the next bid for expansion comes around, or the one after that, and St. Louis has all their ducks in a row and gets a franchise, I expect you to be at the front of the line telling MLS to get the hell out of your fair city, because they've done you wrong before, in your eyes.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the Athletica-Red Stars contest April 4th.

(Side note here: Why hasn't St. Louis ever had an A-League/USL-1 or CISL side? Is it a matter of venue availability, or was there really so much love for the Steamers that outdoor soccer was viewed as being unable to get a foothold, or something else?)

Was money the issue? Yes. Did his group have more than enough to effectively run an MLS franchise? Yessir.

No, they didn't. The only opinion which counts on that is MLS. They told Cooper he needed to add cash to his bid. He failed to do so. So he didn't get a franchise. The fact that he wasn't able to raise any more money, despite MLS steering investors towards him, tells us a lot about his bid.

St. Louis really does need to get over it. They had their chance, but Cooper failed them. The fault is entirely his, not the league's.

Archived