MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

Not that anybody's surprised, but tomorrow's news conference in Portland with MLS Commissioner Don Garber has been confirmed. As with Vancouver, the subject is described as "an important announcement Friday on the future of professional soccer in Portland."

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that anybody's surprised, but tomorrow's news conference in Portland with MLS Commissioner Don Garber has been confirmed. As with Vancouver, the subject is described as "an important announcement Friday on the future of professional soccer in Portland."

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ss...o_portland.html

MLS does not need to be bigger than the biggest leagues in Europe. It needed to be capped at 16 teams, max.

I really hope this league isn't going to over-expand.

I agree. I think the available talent pool would be severely diluted with too much additional expansion.

On a separate note, having read the posts above, I find it strange that Phoenix has hardly been mentioned a potential MLS city.

Just rumors around PHX for now...apparently there is an investment group looking into it. Rumors are that MLB Angels owner and Arizona native Arte Moreno might be involved. I always thought with a strong Hispanic population, a Mexican club might try in PHX what Chivas did with Chivas USA. Just my two cents though.

I feel that a number between 18-24 (hopefully closer to 24) would be the magic number of teams for the MLS...and no relegation!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ss...o_portland.html

TIM-BERRRRRR!!! :D

MLS does not need to be bigger than the biggest leagues in Europe. It needed to be capped at 16 teams, max.

I really hope this league isn't going to over-expand.

I agree. I think the available talent pool would be severely diluted with too much additional expansion.

On a separate note, having read the posts above, I find it strange that Phoenix has hardly been mentioned a potential MLS city.

Just rumors around PHX for now...apparently there is an investment group looking into it. Rumors are that MLB Angels owner and Arizona native Arte Moreno might be involved. I always thought with a strong Hispanic population, a Mexican club might try in PHX what Chivas did with Chivas USA. Just my two cents though.

I feel that a number between 18-24 (hopefully closer to 24) would be the magic number of teams for the MLS...and no relegation!

I forgot who linked the wikipedia article about American soccer pyramid, but:

Promotion and relegation does not regularly occur between any two levels. According to Tim Holt, vice president of the USL, relegation between the USL and MLS is difficult to implement because the teams are franchises awarded by the leagues, not autonomous teams. The franchise gives the owner certain rights and obligations that make it difficult to move a team from one league to the other. USASA affiliated leagues each have their own system of promotion and relegation, if they have any at all.

So I'm rescinding my fantasy of a promotion/relegation system in the US.

Garber: "I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for coming. We've called this press conference to announce that Portland, Oregon, will not be getting an MLS franchise as long as I'm Commissioner. In looking at their overall proposal for an expansion franchise, they just came up short compared to the city which we've chosen, and therefore I'm pleased to announce that in 2012 the MLS will be coming to... UTICA, NEW YORK!"

:D

nav-logo.png

MLS's market is about the size of Europe. As in the whole thing.

Land mass wise, yes. But as far as people who watch the sport, not even close. The U.S fan base for soccer dwarfs in comparison to that of Europe.

Now, sure....but expansion is all about growing the game and its fanbase.

Exactly. I don't think anyone would advocate expansion if they didn't think the fanbase would grow along with it.

MLS's market is about the size of Europe. As in the whole thing.

Land mass wise, yes. But as far as people who watch the sport, not even close. The U.S fan base for soccer dwarfs in comparison to that of Europe.

Now, sure....but expansion is all about growing the game and its fanbase.

Exactly. I don't think anyone would advocate expansion if they didn't think the fanbase would grow along with it.

I don't think the sport is big enough here for more than 16 teams. Hope I'm wrong.

Well, he didn't officially confirm it, but he might as well have.

Bah. </homer>

How about St. Louis just steal the flippin' Wizards. Forget this expansion garbage.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So in other words, STL never had a fair run at a team. The league could have at least been forthright. We were nothing but the fallback for the worst case scenario. To hell with MLS. I'm an extremely even keeled guy, but this whole scam has really lit a fire beneath me.

Bah. </homer>

So, does this mean no northwestern swing in 2011?

I'm still trying to cover all the USL-1 cities at this point. You know, the league I really care about. Even if St. Louis gets an MLS team eventually, I'll support them, but it's Thunder uber alles.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Bah. </homer>

How about St. Louis just steal the flippin' Wizards. Forget this expansion garbage.

Not gonna happen pal.

They are building an 18,500 seat stadium off I-435. So, come on over to KC to see some great MLS action.

:D

With the move to a SSS, will they update their wordmark crest?

So in other words, STL never had a fair run at a team. The league could have at least been forthright. We were nothing but the fallback for the worst case scenario. To hell with MLS. I'm an extremely even keeled guy, but this whole scam has really lit a fire beneath me.

The league was forthright. St. Louis' bid was undercapitalized, and MLS has said so for months.

I understand the frustration, but save your ire for the real culprits here. It's not often I defend the vast collection of incompetence that comprises the front offices of MLS, but the only person who really deserves the blame is Cooper himself. Had he spent the last few months finding new partners, Garber would be in St. Louis making his announcement today.

The league was forthright. St. Louis' bid was undercapitalized, and MLS has said so for months.

I understand the frustration, but save your ire for the real culprits here. It's not often I defend the vast collection of incompetence that comprises the front offices of MLS, but the only person who really deserves the blame is Cooper himself. Had he spent the last few months finding new partners, Garber would be in St. Louis making his announcement today.

Guess the fiscal backing by Albert Pujols and Anheuser-Busch was seen as a last ditch effort.

Guess the fiscal backing by Albert Pujols and Anheuser-Busch was seen as a last ditch effort.

That came up a week before Vancouver and Portland were announced, that give MLS no time to change their minds. The St. Louis bid can only blame themselves.

1zqy8ok.gif

Anheuser-Busch's involvement didn't bring any money to the bid. A-B was only offering land for another stadium proposal - the one thing that the St. Louis group didn't need.

It was a publicity stunt. Cooper knew what MLS wanted to see from his bid, but he couldn't deliver, so he found a little smoke and a mirror.

Archived