MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

I'm glad Miami will not be getting an expansion side. IMO giving them a team would have been a huge roll of the dice. Vancouver and Portland seem like good choices though. From what I hear, those two cities are relatively soccer-crazy and that's always a good thing when you are starting a soccer club. Ottawa also seemed like a decent place, but then again Ontario already has one MLS side and I like the idea of putting a squad on the west coast of Canada better.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with what was mentioned earlier...Single Table would eliminate any unbalance in Western/Eastern Confs.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Rumours are coming in now. Vancouver and Portland are in.

Portland would be great. The Timbers have great fan support, and MLS would do well to preserve their rivalry with the Sounders.

Add to that the Northwest Cup (or whatever they come up with) and you're set for fiercely competitive matches amongst the three.

Vancouver is three hours from Seattle, 5 1/2 hours from Portland.

Population-wise, Seattle is 3.3 million Metro, Portland 2.2 million Metro, Vancouver 2.1 million Metro. All three cities boast large communities from soccer-crazy nations.

I don't think it'll be an issue, personally.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

1. Miami tried to build their bid around attracting an aging David Beckham (especially since he's likely going to stay with AC Milan and not come back to the MLS). There are 164 other quality starters in MLS, so let's not risk having it be a "one-man league"...doomed from the start.

2. In my POV, Vancouver is a lock to get that MLS team. Considering the competition, I think they have the strongest shot yet. Portland is also a GREAT choice, with strong support for their USL-1 team, one of the better "owners" in sports, Merritt Paulson, and the stadium looking like it'll go smoother than I thought at first.

3. Seattle has already proven (before its inaugural season kicks off) that it can handle the big leagues (Sounders FC is a bigger season-ticket seller than the Mariners this year!) Bringing the Cascadia Cup to MLS will only make it stronger. Also, we don't need to wait a year for the name to be chosen; the owners will most likely go with a professionalized version of their USL identities (Whitecaps FC and Timbers FC will work very well).

4. You haven't heard the last of Atlanta, Miami, Montreal, Ottawa, and St. Louis' quests for MLS yet! The league is expected to accept two more teams for 2013, so expect to see this happen all over again in two years (likely joined by such cities as Las Vegas, Long Island, Detroit, Phoenix, Minnesota, Cleveland, and maybe a few others)

bYhYmxh.png

They probably can. And I'm probably just bitter (nay, extremely bitter).

But can the NW support three brand new teams?

Portland is 176 Miles from Seattle. Vancouver is 142 Miles from Seattle. These are distinct markets and I don't think overlap is a concern.

Edit: Also, these aren't really new teams either. The Sounders are moving up from USL to MLS. Whitecaps and Timbers are looking to do the same thing. All three teams can trace lineage back to NASL days as well, so there's history to draw on.

I suppose that this isn't the fans' problem, but where would Vancouver and Portland moving up leave USL-1?

Wouldn't they promote the top clubs in USL-2 and subsequently the best teams and profitable in the PDL to USL-2?

I suppose that this isn't the fans' problem, but where would Vancouver and Portland moving up leave USL-1?

Wouldn't they promote the tops clubs in USL-2 and subsequentially the best teams and profitable in the PDL to USL-2?

tis possible

cleveland is comin up this year

Wouldn't they promote the top clubs in USL-2 and subsequently the best teams and profitable in the PDL to USL-2?

If they're interested. It's not as though there's much more profit, if profit at all, to be made from the move. How many USL-1 sides have auto-demoted themselves? Pittsburgh and Richmond come to mind.

If they're interested. It's not as though there's much more profit, if profit at all, to be made from the move. How many USL-1 sides have auto-demoted themselves? Pittsburgh and Richmond come to mind.

OR they can simply add expansion teams to USL-1, like the Tampa Bay Rowdies in 2010.

OR they can simply add expansion teams to USL-1, like the Tampa Bay Rowdies in 2010.

I think that would be the course they take. Rather than promoting teams.

That's my point, USL-1 franchises are often fleeting. Portland and Vancouver (Seattle too, for that matter) are two of the more stable operations in the league. If these keep leaving, there won't be much of a hard core outside of Rochester and Montreal. North American soccer could become top heavy, i.e. MLS or cross your fingers. What with the exorbitant travel costs, I wonder if the PDL model of regional conferences might not be worth considering for USL-1 and 2.

Archived