MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

The current Cosmos ownership has certainly kept a quiet profile (no testimonials against European powerhouses, not putting random soccer stars in meaningless positions). Just this stadium proposal, and their Cosmos Copa. Despite the smugness of the previous owner, having the Cosmos in MLS would be a gigantic coup. The only bad thing: Adidas getting their grubby hands on their stunning kit.

soundersbanner.png

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current Cosmos ownership has certainly kept a quiet profile (no testimonials against European powerhouses, not putting random soccer stars in meaningless positions). Just this stadium proposal, and their Cosmos Copa. Despite the smugness of the previous owner, having the Cosmos in MLS would be a gigantic coup. The only bad thing: Adidas getting their grubby hands on their stunning kit.

How much longer is the Adidas deal with MLS? I hate how every team has the same number font and those darn stripes on the sleeves. The sleeves stripes ruin MLS uniforms for me. That and the huge sponsor logos on the the jerseys, but that's a whole different issue lol.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Unpopular opinion: The Cosmos logo is dumb.

Is it set in stone that the NY Cosmos 2.0 would retain the same logo (and even colors)? Personally I'd like to see them go with the NYC colors of blue and orange. Logo wise something a little different from the MLS logos would be nice. Honestly how many shield logos does this league need?

I think it's pretty much set in stone, yes. At least the crest (which was vastly improved by the use of a new typeface), and white home colors.

I expect that the change kit could be more flexible; it certainly was back in the day.

But yes. If the new MLS club uses the Cosmos name and legacy, they'll use their own variation of the Cosmos' crest and they'll tie into the Cosmos' visual legacy.

In the end I would think New York City (Cosmos) and Orlando will both end up with MLS Clubs. The Cosmos playing at a new SSS in Queens and Orlando playing in a renovated Citrus Bowl.

There can be only one... and it won't be Orlando.

In the end I would think New York City (Cosmos) and Orlando will both end up with MLS Clubs. The Cosmos playing at a new SSS in Queens and Orlando playing in a renovated Citrus Bowl.

Don't you think MLS will expand beyond 20?

MLS will hold at 20 for a while IMO...won't see expansion at the rate it's been the last few years.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

How much longer is the Adidas deal with MLS?

Until 2018, unfortunately.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

MLS will hold at 20 for a while IMO...won't see expansion at the rate it's been the last few years.

Didn't Garber say 20 was the goal and then it was time to stop the expansion? Something about feeling like the player pool needs to grow domestically.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Don't you think MLS will expand beyond 20?

Long term, yes. Short term, no. They're going to hold at 20 for at least 5-10 years and become far more picky about cities going forward. That and they want the player pool to expand as someone said above and the finish stabilizing the teams thay have. San Jose needs to finalize their stadium which should be done by summer's end. DC United still need a stadium desperately. As do Chivas USA and arguably New England. They'll want to get those issues out of the way before they move on to more new teams.

Question. Is Baltimore's only hope of landing a MLS franchise a scenario where DC United is unable to get a stadium deal anywhere in the DC area?

Question. Is Baltimore's only hope of landing a MLS franchise a scenario where DC United is unable to get a stadium deal anywhere in the DC area?

DCU will not leave DC. *bold prediction*

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Before 2020, more than likely. After that things may change.

DCU will not leave DC. *bold prediction*

I feel like RFK would be a really sick soccer stadium if they renovated it, but I don't know how feasible that is.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

Archived