MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

- What would the team even be called???

I'd be partial to Crossroads FC.

Hmm, that seems like it could work--if I didn't automatically hear the BTNH song of the same name playing right behind it. :P

If there ever is a team, I'd expect it to be Racing Indy/Indianapolis.

That said, just give me an NASL team here and I'll be happy.

Naming a new team after an existing sport seems incredibly short-sighted to me. While Indianapolis does have a proud racing tradition, auto racing is not soccer, and to name the latter after the former is to confer automatic second-class status. It's a cute gimmick, but it's not like an MLS team in, say, Green Bay would be called Packers FC, right? Seems like the same idea -- and a bad one.

Except the "Racing FC" moniker is already in use by several clubs around the world...

So instead of beating on it because it pays homage to Indy's racing tradition, beat on it because it's another euro-trash name grab... hahahaha

Beat me to it, Quincy. That said...hush it. :P

That said, DG, you forget one thing: this is Indianapolis we're talking about--it IS second-class status. (And even that might be giving it a compliment) Besides, y'all gotta understand that there really ain't a lot for people to latch onto around here. (I've certainly gleamed that much during my two years of quasi-hoosierdom.) In addition, it ain't like Indy really has any unique or distinctive, well, anything--the city ain't even got it's own denonym, for Pete's sake. So really, outside of being Conventionville USA, whatever identity this city has is probably defined by two things: basketball and racing. And since the former of those is really more the whole state's thing, that leaves us with the latter. Add to that the city's two existing pro sports teams' nicknames have some kind of racing tie-in--albeit, in the case of the football team, entirely due to luck of circumstance--and I guess it just kind of makes sense--even if it is, as Quincy so eloquently stated, yet another Euro rip-job. But, it could also work to Indy's favor, if they plan to follow international convention and develop some other sporting programs under whatever umbrella Racing Indy FC would fall under, the same way Sporting Kansas City managed to do. And plus, I'm pretty well positive the fine folk of Indy would go gangbusters over a racing-themed identity, if the feedback from either of those two Facebook groups are any indication.

Of course, there is the other side of this coin. Sure, they may have a branding and identity package (almost) ready to go...but they still gotta figure out how the city of Indy/county of Marion is gonna finance a new building. We all know Indiana's broke...the city of Indy ain't faring much better. I don't see an extra tax levy going over too well, especially considering between the state and the county, we get raped bad enough in taxes as it is. (And that's without mentioning both the Rebuild Indy and IndyConnect initiatives, which are just...anyway, moving on.) That said, if they can clear that hurdle, they'll be in good shape--it ain't like the area is lacking for space to build a new soccer-specific stadium (again, all these dastard cornfields).

On another note...glad to see my half-hearted joke of an inquiry actually generated some half-intelligent discussion. B)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duh..."Pacers." I can't believe I just now got that.

I see where you're coming from, but my objection still stands. :)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Not necessarily expansion, but did anyone see this new Chivas USA soccer complex proposal? The location is out at the LA county fairgrounds in Pomona stradling the eastern side of LA and the Inland Empire. Looks like it would be a two stage project with a temporary stadium not unlike what San Jose currently plays in (and Vancouver played in initially), and then a later permanent soccer specific stadium. Site also has decent freeway access and Metrolink access which are of course both pluses. And best of all it's 40 miles from Carson giving Chivas their own territory should it come to pass.

Looking at the site from Google Earth there is plenty of room even with the drag strip and horse track.

Unfortunately I found out from an insider this afternoon that this was actually a proposal by the city of Pomona to Chivas that was rejected. Apparently Chivas still has a hard on for the area near the Coliseum and potentially playing a transition year or two at the LA Coliseum (which frankly to my mind is just suicidal). But they still insist this will likely be their last season at Home Depot Center.

Speaking of MLS expansion, I would love to share a story that's going on here in El Paso, Texas. We are looking at having a bond election on November. There is talk about building a MLS level of stadium to lure a team. Is it me or are the city leaders living in a pipe dream to have a team here? I'm sure that there are better qualified cities than El Paso.

I've actually thought for awhile that El Paso might make a decent soccer market the way Tulsa was for the original NASL. But given that its the #99 television market, you'd probably have to prove yourselves with a NASL club first.

Orlando added, it would be twenty. FIFA wants soccer to expand in the US/Canada, so I'm thinking they'll allow 22 or 24 MLS clubs (Orlando, New York, San Antonio for 22, with Tampa and, I'm just throwing it out, Minneapolis for 24)

A 24-team MLS, with 12 teams per conference, would allow for a 34-game schedule (double round-robin within the conference = 22 games, single round-robin vs. the other conference = 12 games), which is equivalent to an 18-team league playing a full double round-robin (e.g. Bundesliga 1). So, I can definitely see MLS going up to 24 clubs. Any more would probably not be feasible schedule-wise, though.

That said, Milwaukee has been bandied about for years as an MLS candidate city (though not so much recently). Sometimes I wonder if MLS might add Milwaukee and Minneapolis together to form a three-way Upper Midwest rivalry with Chicago, à la the Cascadia trio of Seattle, Portland and Vancouver.

CCSLC signature.png

- What would the team even be called???

I'd be partial to Crossroads FC.

Hmm, that seems like it could work--if I didn't automatically hear the BTNH song of the same name playing right behind it. :P

If there ever is a team, I'd expect it to be Racing Indy/Indianapolis.

That said, just give me an NASL team here and I'll be happy.

Naming a new team after an existing sport seems incredibly short-sighted to me. While Indianapolis does have a proud racing tradition, auto racing is not soccer, and to name the latter after the former is to confer automatic second-class status. It's a cute gimmick, but it's not like an MLS team in, say, Green Bay would be called Packers FC, right? Seems like the same idea -- and a bad one.

Except the "Racing FC" moniker is already in use by several clubs around the world...

So instead of beating on it because it pays homage to Indy's racing tradition, beat on it because it's another euro-trash name grab... hahahaha

Beat me to it, Quincy. That said...hush it. :P

That said, DG, you forget one thing: this is Indianapolis we're talking about--it IS second-class status. (And even that might be giving it a compliment) Besides, y'all gotta understand that there really ain't a lot for people to latch onto around here. (I've certainly gleamed that much during my two years of quasi-hoosierdom.) In addition, it ain't like Indy really has any unique or distinctive, well, anything--the city ain't even got it's own denonym, for Pete's sake. So really, outside of being Conventionville USA, whatever identity this city has is probably defined by two things: basketball and racing. And since the former of those is really more the whole state's thing, that leaves us with the latter. Add to that the city's two existing pro sports teams' nicknames have some kind of racing tie-in--albeit, in the case of the football team, entirely due to luck of circumstance--and I guess it just kind of makes sense--even if it is, as Quincy so eloquently stated, yet another Euro rip-job. But, it could also work to Indy's favor, if they plan to follow international convention and develop some other sporting programs under whatever umbrella Racing Indy FC would fall under, the same way Sporting Kansas City managed to do. And plus, I'm pretty well positive the fine folk of Indy would go gangbusters over a racing-themed identity, if the feedback from either of those two Facebook groups are any indication.

Of course, there is the other side of this coin. Sure, they may have a branding and identity package (almost) ready to go...but they still gotta figure out how the city of Indy/county of Marion is gonna finance a new building. We all know Indiana's broke...the city of Indy ain't faring much better. I don't see an extra tax levy going over too well, especially considering between the state and the county, we get raped bad enough in taxes as it is. (And that's without mentioning both the Rebuild Indy and IndyConnect initiatives, which are just...anyway, moving on.) That said, if they can clear that hurdle, they'll be in good shape--it ain't like the area is lacking for space to build a new soccer-specific stadium (again, all these dastard cornfields).

On another note...glad to see my half-hearted joke of an inquiry actually generated some half-intelligent discussion. B)

Considering they won't even let us vote on whether or not we want to be taxed for a REAL mass transit system, there's no way they'll let us vote on a soccer stadium. Nor would it pass.

Indianapolis's best bet at a soccer team is twofold - 1) an NASL or USL team setting up shop at Carroll Stadium at IUPUI or Kuntz Stadium. 2 ) One of these northern suburbs I (sometimes unfortunately) call home decides it wants an MLS team.

Hell, there's a giant cornfield right behind my high school... let's build it there! :P

6fQjS3M.png

Apparently Chivas still has a hard on for the area near the Coliseum and potentially playing a transition year or two at the LA Coliseum (which frankly to my mind is just suicidal). But they still insist this will likely be their last season at Home Depot Center.

Considering that Chivas is tarping off sections of the HDC and still can't fill it, their games at the Coliseum should give anyone old enough to have seen the L.A. Express in action some vivid flashbacks.

Kuntz Stadium.

*mwah* Good night, everybody!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Orlando added, it would be twenty. FIFA wants soccer to expand in the US/Canada, so I'm thinking they'll allow 22 or 24 MLS clubs (Orlando, New York, San Antonio for 22, with Tampa and, I'm just throwing it out, Minneapolis for 24)

A 24-team MLS, with 12 teams per conference, would allow for a 34-game schedule (double round-robin within the conference = 22 games, single round-robin vs. the other conference = 12 games), which is equivalent to an 18-team league playing a full double round-robin (e.g. Bundesliga 1). So, I can definitely see MLS going up to 24 clubs. Any more would probably not be feasible schedule-wise, though.

That said, Milwaukee has been bandied about for years as an MLS candidate city (though not so much recently). Sometimes I wonder if MLS might add Milwaukee and Minneapolis together to form a three-way Upper Midwest rivalry with Chicago, à la the Cascadia trio of Seattle, Portland and Vancouver.

That would be an interesting idea; the Cascade expansion is the best thing MLS has ever done. Period. Do they dare replicate it?

Milwaukee has a long history of amateur soccer, has a thriving youth soccer scene and good soccer culture in general, so I'm not surprised that it's been considered. I just don't see the city coughing up money for a SSS.

That would be an interesting idea; the Cascade expansion is the best thing MLS has ever done. Period. Do they dare replicate it?

Milwaukee has a long history of amateur soccer, has a thriving youth soccer scene and good soccer culture in general, so I'm not surprised that it's been considered. I just don't see the city coughing up money for a SSS.

What if you make the Milwaukee SSS big enough to host the Preseason "Gold package" Packers game?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I wish they'd bring back the Dairy Bowl on a permanent basis. That was the name for the makeshift football stadium they used to erect on the infield of the Milwaukee Mile when the Packers played there.

State+Fair+Park+1935-51.gif

As it stands right now, the Mile only hosts one major race per year. It's also the only remaining former Packers venue in Milwaukee County. For less than 5 million dollars, it could be converted into a 20,000-seat stadium for concerts, football and soccer. Even without MLS, it could be used by local high schools and colleges the same way that the Old City Stadium site is in Green Bay.

Considering the Big East is on the verge of I-AA territory, it could be more feasible than ever.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Who knows? Maybe Marquette is interested in bringing back football.

Maruqette's not, but UWM was seriously looking into it as recently as last year (hence my avatar) and this would solve our biggest hurdle so far (nowhere to play).

I was just coming here to post that. Should be fun, I'll have to never wear my Cosmos shirt again because it's not ironic any more, ahahah.

But cool to see them back, they'll probably play in some college stadium in the area like they did back in the day(Hofstra right?).

Archived