MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

They're not going to leave the league with an odd number of teams. Which is why Orlando probably isn't happening for a while after NYC 2.

Orlando added, it would be twenty.

Not if the Cosmos beats Orlando to it, which is what he was suggesting.

Bingo. NYC2 is an MLS pet project and likely 20th team. Which means Orlando won't happen for a while until number 22 is ready to join up. I'd not expect Orlando for at least 5 years after NYC2.

And they'll need another city to be ready to join at the same time. That could well add more time to it.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indy won't get a team. I would love it but it won't happen. The closest they have is a NPSL (4th tier) team that plays in Lafayette an hour away. I think they'd need something established here before it was considered.

Thank you, Patrick, for entertaining my (joke of an) inquiry. The rest of y'all suck. :P

Anyway, setting aside that I don't really know nothing about..well, none of this, here's what I see working against Indy right now:

- Two other teams play within 170 miles. One in Chicago, the other in Columbus.

- How would a stadium be financed? Indiana's already broke as it is. Now, I say this without knowing the dimensions of Victory Field...and they ain't about to play up in no Lucas Oil, neither. It's not for lack of space to build a new arena (have any of y'all been to Indy? Go 4 miles outside the city in any direction...cornfields. Hell there's cornfields IN the city), its finding financing. So....yeah.

- What would the team even be called???

And all that's aside from the MLS expansion/relocation issues.

Now, the one thing that does work in Indy's favor is this: population. I think Indy is like the 11th or 12th biggest city, population-wise. And, from my observations in driving around the area, and seeing all the kids, and some grown-ups, playing soccer at the parks and whatnot, I'd reason that there's a sizeable contingent of soccer fans around here. Of course...not that that in and of itself means anything.

Heh...anyway, there's my non-knowing off-the-wall synopsis on the viability of Indianapolis as a future MLS market. (By the way, this is all in fun...not really meant to be taken seriously. :P)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Now you've got me thinking a little about Indiana and the forces supporting or opposing an Indy soccer team. What is the MLS' relationship with NCAA (do they compete for the same players or does the MLS grab players after college?) Because one of the few sports Indiana University has historically been any good at is men's soccer. And by any good I mean "have won 7 NCAA titles and used to be able to guarantee that every senior class would have made at least one trip to the College Cup". So depending on the player competition aspect the IU athletic department might try to fight an MLS team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with MLS, but has Detroit ever had a team?

No, they haven't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer#Teams

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

After having taken time to let my first impression subside...

...the name still sounds about as goofy to me as Sporting KC does, probably even more so in this instance, but this is Indy we're talking about here, so it's also not out of place.

And for those of you not on Facebook, here's what that group came up with:

162040_138101726243151_7480175_n.jpg

Racindyshirts.jpg

Overall, pretty solid and straightforward branding direction. That badge is pretty predictable, and very obviously based on the Indy civic flag, but it also does exactly what it needs to do in a simple manner. (I especially like the circle center being made into a ball.) And those jerseys, pretty not bad. They certainly convey racing, all right—and I really like that they're black/white/green, obviously off the green and checkered flags used at the start and finish of a race. And who saw that color set coming for an Indy-based team, anyway? (It also raises the point of whether that bade should be redone in those colors.)

Kinda makes me wonder if I should even bother trying to finish out the concept package I started working on a while back or try to jump on board with this here...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

I'd be partial to Crossroads FC.

Hmm, that seems like it could work--if I didn't automatically hear the BTNH song of the same name playing right behind it. :P

Hmm, that seems like it could work--if I didn't automatically hear the BTNH song of the same name playing right behind it. :P

If there ever is a team, I'd expect it to be Racing Indy/Indianapolis.

That said, just give me an NASL team here and I'll be happy.

6fQjS3M.png

Speaking of MLS expansion, I would love to share a story that's going on here in El Paso, Texas. We are looking at having a bond election on November. There is talk about building a MLS level of stadium to lure a team. Is it me or are the city leaders living in a pipe dream to have a team here? I'm sure that there are better qualified cities than El Paso.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

Speaking of MLS expansion, I would love to share a story that's going on here in El Paso, Texas. We are looking at having a bond election on November. There is talk about building a MLS level of stadium to lure a team. Is it me or are the city leaders living in a pipe dream to have a team here? I'm sure that there are better qualified cities than El Paso.

I have never heard of El Paso as a city MLS is even remotely looking at, but like FIFA, if you throw a little cash Garbers way im sure he'll take a look.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Is it me or are the city leaders living in a pipe dream to have a team here? I'm sure that there are better qualified cities than El Paso.

El Paso Coyotes

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Not necessarily expansion, but did anyone see this new Chivas USA soccer complex proposal? The location is out at the LA county fairgrounds in Pomona stradling the eastern side of LA and the Inland Empire. Looks like it would be a two stage project with a temporary stadium not unlike what San Jose currently plays in (and Vancouver played in initially), and then a later permanent soccer specific stadium. Site also has decent freeway access and Metrolink access which are of course both pluses. And best of all it's 40 miles from Carson giving Chivas their own territory should it come to pass.

Not necessarily expansion, but did anyone see this new Chivas USA soccer complex proposal? The location is out at the LA county fairgrounds in Pomona stradling the eastern side of LA and the Inland Empire. Looks like it would be a two stage project with a temporary stadium not unlike what San Jose currently plays in (and Vancouver played in initially), and then a later permanent soccer specific stadium. Site also has decent freeway access and Metrolink access which are of course both pluses. And best of all it's 40 miles from Carson giving Chivas their own territory should it come to pass.

Looking at the site from Google Earth there is plenty of room even with the drag strip and horse track.

Naming a new team after an existing sport seems incredibly short-sighted to me. While Indianapolis does have a proud racing tradition, auto racing is not soccer, and to name the latter after the former is to confer automatic second-class status. It's a cute gimmick, but it's not like an MLS team in, say, Green Bay would be called Packers FC, right? Seems like the same idea -- and a bad one.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Naming a new team after an existing sport seems incredibly short-sighted to me. While Indianapolis does have a proud racing tradition, auto racing is not soccer, and to name the latter after the former is to confer automatic second-class status. It's a cute gimmick, but it's not like an MLS team in, say, Green Bay would be called Packers FC, right? Seems like the same idea -- and a bad one.

Except the "Racing FC" moniker is already in use by several clubs around the world...

So instead of beating on it because it pays homage to Indy's racing tradition, beat on it because it's another euro-trash name grab... hahahaha

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived