The MLB BP project

elliott

Hey everyone, hopefully you all enjoyed my NBA redesign, be sure to check out the alternates I posted earlier, but I decided to move on to my next project. My goal in this is to give every team in the MLB a different BP template, some of these are going to get modern. But it's BP, so hopefully you traditionalists won't get mad. That brings up a good point. I will be using jersey templates that really don't belong in baseball at all, especially when you are talking about game jerseys. But, I don't want to do a series in traditional templates, I feel that it takes away creativity.

Another thing I will be doing is changing up number and NOB trends, a lot of BPs don't have a NOB, and I don't think any have a front number, I will be using both, just mixing them in.

Thanks to scottysprings for the template, I really love it.

First up is the AL East.

Rays: I dropped the drop shadow, made a straight outline, which I like more. Light blue is pretty dominant here.

RaysBP.gif

Blue Jays: Orginally I was going with a graphite jersey, changed it to blue at the last minute. I tried to make the wordmark pop.

JaysBP.gif

Red Sox: Update: It's a much more traditional look, went with the Boston wordmark, the only thing that you don't see everyday is the piping placement on the neckline.

UPDATE

RedSoxBP2.gif

ORIGINAL

Orioles: Update: Ok on the update, I tried to make all element flow together by keeping the theme of orange base, white piping. It's on the wordmark, numerals, hat, socks, and striping design. Hopefully you see what I was trying to do. Also I added a white outline to the cap logo, so it doesn't blend in as much.

UPDATE

OriolesBP2.gif

ORGINAL

Yankees: Update: Used an all blue jersey top, kept the pinstriped pants, darkened the blue, added some end of the sleeve piping.

UPDATE

YankeesBP2.gif

ORIGINAL

And believe me, I have some more new templates to break out in the next 5 installments. I hope you all like this series. It's something new. That's for sure.

Comments appreciated.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, but this is baseball. Swooshy templates and crazy designs do not belong in this sport...and the Yankees would NEVER go for that design. It's time to start rethinking this.

Nope, I'm think I'm going through with this. I don't understand why teams can't have different BP designs since every home/away is in basically the same template. If you can't look outside the box then don't comment. But I'm trying to look outside the box here.

I'm sorry, but this is baseball. Swooshy templates and crazy designs do not belong in this sport...and the Yankees would NEVER go for that design. It's time to start rethinking this.

Nope, I'm think I'm going through with this. I don't understand why teams can't have different BP designs since every home/away is in basically the same template. If you can't look outside the box then don't comment. But I'm trying to look outside the box here.

I'm just saying baseball is very conservative when it comes to uniforms and almost every time they have thought outside the box people have turned against the changes. There's not a lot of room for outside the box thinking in baseball. While I see no problem with introducing unique designs to BP jerseys, I think they should be more simple and classic looking.

As said earlier, the yankees design is questionable, but i like the "quirkiness" they have to them. i hate the way they look, but i like the thinking.

That being said, these are BP jerseys, so I dont see whats really wrong with any these. I think BP unis should be gimmicky and to test out these kinds of colors and templates. im behind this idea the whole way.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I'm just saying baseball is very conservative when it comes to uniforms and almost every time they have thought outside the box people have turned against the changes. There's not a lot of room for outside the box thinking in baseball. While I see no problem with introducing unique designs to BP jerseys, I think they should be more simple and classic looking.

Well, this isn't real life, they are concepts, and I prefer creativity over tradition when it comes to concepts.

Well, this isn't real life, they are concepts, and I prefer creativity over tradition when it comes to concepts.

Creativity is good, but it doesn't necessarily make you a better designer.

I like the idea here, Elliot. I don't like the Yankees or Red Sox, but the rest are good. My favorites are the Rays and Orioles. I think your designs go really well with the logos.

When you go through with the rest, my advice is that you don't have to go modern with every jersey. Making each one unique is great, but the very traditional teams willl look bad with a modern design. And this is just a very small number of teams (Yankees, Dodgers, Tigers) that I don't think can look good with a modern jersey.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I think these look good, expect for the sox and the yanks. Maybe an all navy look, or a darker shad for NYY would make it better for me, but I don't think so. I think the same applies to both of them: these are teams with rich historical traditions, and simpler is better.

I really do like the other tree, especially the light blue rays one.

For some reason, I like the idea of practice jerseys being on a common template. They're just practice jerseys, after all. However, I really like the designs on the Rays and Blue Jays, and those would be good leaguewide templates, ironically. The Red Sox and Orioles were pretty good. The Yankees one made me audibly squawk, though, but 4 out of 5 is really good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Now I will give you actual C+C based on what you have actually done.

The Rays concept is nice, but it doesn't fit with their identity. They have a very conservative, old school, classy identity. Your design is new-school.

The Jays jersey on the other hand works because they have a modern design. I would prefer to see more black however.

No offense, but the abbreviated piping is just dumb-looking...and I don't understand why you have names on the back. I would also rather see the Sox on the front and the B on the hat because that us more traditional.

The Orioles one is decent. It's not great, but it reminds me of recent designs.

The Yankees one, as I said earlier is just unrealistic and looks like a jersey you'd by at Wal-Mart. I suggest a solid navy jersey.

-----------

Elliot, I can see the effort is there, but I would appreciate it if you would put a little bit more thought into these. You are talented, but you would benefit immensely from keeping reality in mind.

I am VERY impressed with your creativity. I agree with patsox in that these aren't what I'd like to see in a game, but as you've said, this is for hypothetical BP and it's nice to see such interesting designs. I actually really, really like the basic looks of these. I'm surprised, because I don't usually like all that swooshy stuff on football jerseys, let alone baseball, but these are great. Every bit of my relatively traditionalist aesthetic sense is screaming NO! but I love them. They perfectly fit the bill for BP, and actually look really nice. Here's a team by team rundown:

Rays: Big fan. The powder blue and unique striping look great, and though I probably would've gone with navy lettering, numbers, wordmark, etc., I actually like the white. Nice work here.

Jays: That's such a nice shade of blue. Why don't they use that on their primary jerseys? Back on topic: I don't love the striping style, but it's totally new and somehow works.

Sox: Interesting take on the piping. I like it quite a lot, but only for BP, which is just what these are. Nice, and I like the cap logo.

O's: Wild stripes, but I love them. For some reason the side piping really works. Nothing else to say.

Yankees: Sorry, here's your only failure. The white pinstripes just don't work on blue, and the overall look isn't nice at all. Is that their shade of blue? It looks way too light. I'd go back to the drawing board on this one.

Excellent, creative work overall. A+

scotland_fifasig.png

Sorry patsox, I fail to see your argument here. What's the use in going through, adding a line or two to each sleeve for every team. Creativity can be used for BATTING PRACTICE jerseys. The point of them really is to just sell stuff, or else teams would just wear regular jerseys. Why, when teams have traditional real home and away jerseys, should they use a traditional BP jersey as well, makes no $$$ sense really, and you're talking about keeping it realistic and in the real world all that matters is the cash.

I'll agree with everyone else and say the only ones I don't like are the Yanks and Sox.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Sorry patsox, I fail to see your argument here. What's the use in going through, adding a line or two to each sleeve for every team. Creativity can be used for BATTING PRACTICE jerseys. The point of them really is to just sell stuff, or else teams would just wear regular jerseys. Why, when teams have traditional real home and away jerseys, should they use a traditional BP jersey as well, makes no $$$ sense really, and you're talking about keeping it realistic and in the real world all that matters is the cash.

I'll agree with everyone else and say the only ones I don't like are the Yanks and Sox.

I see your point. However I would still prefer these to be slightly more on the conservative side.

Creativity is good, but it doesn't necessarily make you a better designer.

What does taking shots at me have to do with anything? It seems you then took out your frustration that you don't like the whole premise of this series in your next post by completely bashing the concepts. I could be wrong, but I think that you are not looking at the designs, but coming in with the notion that you already dislike them, and thus giving biased c+c. Now I know that some of these designs have problems and I need to work on them, but I cannot deal with you telling me that all 30 concepts in here are terrible because you don't like modern baseball jerseys. If you cannot think outside of the box, to use an already over-used term, please don't post. I'm serious. Next time if I get 10 people saying they like something and patsox being mr. doom and gloom, I'll know what's up.

BillyB, I am planning some more reserved concepts in the future, definitely for the teams you mentioned.

I'll have some updates up tomorrow.

i understand what patsox is trying to say but i have to say he is wrong. i love this series and i cannot wait for the rest! I am supprised at how well some of these are working out in my eyes. One this though, you have crazy modern jerseys so, why stick to normal classic pants, why not put saome crazy stuff on the pants, mabey even expand away from the white and grey limitations. I know they are currently thr game pants but i still think out of anyone you are the one who could pull it off with style.

rays: i really like the white numbers and NOB, i like that light on light view. The template is great but you could do so much on the pants with that pattern

jays: thats blue is great; but again you could do cool stuff on the pants with it, but the tamplate as randome as it seems i think works

o's: this one i think it the best, i love the way you put the orange on there

sox: this one is the weak one of the bunch imo, i dont like the template or the b on the front. not trying to be mean it just dosnt work for me

yanks: I think this could really work, i know many people do not like it, i saw a fation jersey like it one and i really liked it . but i don't think this fits with the BP series, this should be a straight up alternate.

great work

grade A-

i understand what patsox is trying to say but i have to say he is wrong. i love this series and i cannot wait for the rest! I am supprised at how well some of these are working out in my eyes. One this though, you have crazy modern jerseys so, why stick to normal classic pants, why not put saome crazy stuff on the pants, mabey even expand away from the white and grey limitations. I know they are currently thr game pants but i still think out of anyone you are the one who could pull it off with style.

rays: i really like the white numbers and NOB, i like that light on light view. The template is great but you could do so much on the pants with that pattern

jays: thats blue is great; but again you could do cool stuff on the pants with it, but the tamplate as randome as it seems i think works

sox: this one is the weak one of the bunch imo, i dont like the template or the b on the front. not trying to be mean it just dosnt work for me

yanks: I think this could really work, i know many people do not like it, i saw a fation jersey like it one and i really liked it . but i don't think this fits with the BP series, this should be a straight up alternate.

great work

grade A-

Ok thanks. I think I'm gonna put a wordmark on the Red Sox. I think I might start over on the Yankees, even though you like it, but i don't really like it myself, so I'm gonna go back to square 1. About the pants, I might do some experimentation, but don't expect me to do that regularly.

great work

grade A-

Ok thanks. I think I'm gonna put a wordmark on the Red Sox. I think I might start over on the Yankees, even though you like it, but i don't really like it myself, so I'm gonna go back to square 1. About the pants, I might do some experimentation, but don't expect me to do that regularly.

sounds good, i really wish i could find a pic of that fation jersey i was talking about, cuz it looked good

Archived