Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

Onalfo's seat is RED HOT right now. If there's one organization & fanbase in the MLS that doesn't tolerate losing, it's DC United's. He's probably on borrowed time right now, they can't be pleased with an 0-4-0 start.

Buddle has been red hot too, but in a good way. Those 7 goals have also been all the goals that LA Galaxy have scored. I had a feeling that if Buddle had a healthy season this year then the Galaxy's offense would be MUCH better off (last year their finishing without Buddle was awful, & he had trouble coming off of that injury), but this is ridiculous. There's no way that this continues, but it's great to see that Donovan's gonna have a great striker to push it forward to. Last year it was either Donovan making a break or Beckham pulling a Beckham from a free kick, now they know that they've got Buddle up top finishing things. This could be a very good year for the G's.

The Red Bulls are impressive. They really did a great job of quickly flipping things around up there, huh? I kinda figured from the Santos game that this was going to be a completely different Red Bulls team compared to the debacle that was last year's squad. Idk if they're gonna pull off the worst-to-first, but they're gonna be way better than they were last season, that's for sure.

Also, Grant Wahl said it best about the Colorado-Toronto game today: Toronto on 2 days rest at Colorado is about as sure of a bet in Colorado's favor as you can get.

Found this while rolling around the net:

2e515sp.png

:lol:

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Toronto media are all over TFC's designated player Julian De Guzman for jumping out of the way of a game winning free kick. I don't know a ball hitting me in the chest or losing a professional soccer game, doesn't seem like he was worried about the right thing.

PS - That chart is awesome TFoA

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

Same here, twice. Both because of immediate family (my dad's from Dallas & my Aunt lives in Dallas) & because I would've went all the way to the bottom anyways. :P

It wouldn't be too ba-wait, Dallas is horribly mismanaged and haven't won a damn thing since the '97 USOC. Rough times, but I do like their uniforms. :D

Same here, twice. Both because of immediate family (my dad's from Dallas & my Aunt lives in Dallas) & because I would've went all the way to the bottom anyways. :P

It wouldn't be too ba-wait, Dallas is horribly mismanaged and haven't won a damn thing since the '97 USOC. Rough times, but I do like their uniforms. :D

The mismanagement/tacos part lead me there

After missing the home opener because of work, I finally get to see the new changes to BMO Field first hand. Unfortunately I feel like I'm in Seattle with the weather today. Oh well the grass should play a lot better in the rain than the turf did.

1zqy8ok.gif

Though the wet pitch didn't help Kamara at all...that was still hilarious, especially to watch it live. Kamara really botched that, though, especially considering that if he had just let Arnaud's original shot go, it probably would've went in by itself & LA would no longer be undefeated. But nope, had to get himself on the score sheet. :P It reminded me of that guy in the NHL that had a chance to win the game with an empty netter & slipped. Just funny.

Though the wet pitch didn't help Kamara at all...that was still hilarious, especially to watch it live. Kamara really botched that, though, especially considering that if he had just let Arnaud's original shot go in. But nope, had to get himself on the score sheet. :P It reminded me of that guy in the NHL that had a chance to win the game with an empty netter & slipped. Just funny.

You're referring to Patrik Stefan and that's about the only thing he's known for.

I don't mean to threadjack here, but as someone who just started following the game (the EPL, not MLS) in earnest, I wanted to ask those CCSLC'ers who are soccer fans (i.e., those in this thread) a question: could indoor soccer rebound (pardon the pun) in popularity here in North America, and if so, what do you think it would take to do it?

I got hooked on the indoor game back when I was a kid, thanks to living essentially right between the Pittsburgh Spirit and Cleveland Force. The old Major Indoor Soccer League is long dead, having been replaced by not one but two versions attempting to restore its former popularity to no avail (MISL III is little more than a glorified regional league as I see it), and the PASL on the west coast is essentially the same.

Has the concept of a continent-wide league in the indoor game died? Can it ever be possible for the indoor game to return to popularity, putting 10,000 butts in the seats, etc., or is that gone for good? And if it can be brought back to the levels it had in the 1980's, what do you think it would take for that to be achieved?

nav-logo.png

I don't mean to threadjack here, but as someone who just started following the game (the EPL, not MLS) in earnest, I wanted to ask those CCSLC'ers who are soccer fans (i.e., those in this thread) a question: could indoor soccer rebound (pardon the pun) in popularity here in North America, and if so, what do you think it would take to do it?

I got hooked on the indoor game back when I was a kid, thanks to living essentially right between the Pittsburgh Spirit and Cleveland Force. The old Major Indoor Soccer League is long dead, having been replaced by not one but two versions attempting to restore its former popularity to no avail (MISL III is little more than a glorified regional league as I see it), and the PASL on the west coast is essentially the same.

Has the concept of a continent-wide league in the indoor game died? Can it ever be possible for the indoor game to return to popularity, putting 10,000 butts in the seats, etc., or is that gone for good? And if it can be brought back to the levels it had in the 1980's, what do you think it would take for that to be achieved?

Professional indoor soccer is dead. At least for the time being

I would compare it to arena football. Do you think that if football weren't the most popular sport in the US that arena football would survive?

Soccer in America is growing, however it's going to be at least another 10 years before they gain a legitimate fanbase the size of the NHL, which is the smallest of the 'big four" team sports. With the MLS putting out a fairly decent outdoor-product (which was absent in the 80s and 90s), most American soccer fans are going to look towards that to find their soccer entertainment.

However, if the following scenario played its way out, I could see a professional indoor league succeed (ala the AFL):

If 25 years from now, a indoor league could survive if:

- The MLS slowly grows and expands, eventually becoming comparable to the Premier League or La Liga.

- The MLS fails to insert a proper lower-league (ex. the USL fails and it is not replaced)

- The MLS caps the number of franchises at around 30-32.

This would allow for:

- An audience broad enough to carve a niche.

- An abundance of good players and local prospects.

- Regions where the MLS has not tapped into the fanbase (such as Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, etc).

But for right now, the MLS has barely enough fans to be "growing"... Only until they cement themselves in the American sports culture will there be room for an indoor league.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that both of Canada's NASL clubs are on their way out it would be nice if Calgary could throw their hat in the ring and try get a team here.

I would love to cheer for a footy team here and I refuse to support FC Edmonton next year.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Now that both of Canada's NASL clubs are on their way out it would be nice if Calgary could throw their hat in the ring and try get a team here.

I would love to cheer for a footy team here and I refuse to support FC Edmonton next year.

I've heard that Ottawa will join NASL once Montreal's move to MLS is confirmed.

I've heard that Ottawa will join NASL once Montreal's move to MLS is confirmed.

Yeah Calgary will never be home to any major soccer franchise. Something says the city would never go for it especially if they needed a new stadium.

Vancouver draws well, Toronto draws extremely well and I'm sure the Impact will draw very well.

I look at this on the bigger scale, major cities around Canada will look to Vancouver, T.O and Montreal and see how well the sport is there, granted those three cities have possibly some of the biggest multicultural communities not just in North America but whole world but still wake up Calgary, Winnipeg, Quebec, Halifax make this sport crazy in Canada.

Hopefully this will encourage the CSA to get the national team better and better no more excuses, I think it will be a slap in the face to all the players and supporters if Canada can't qualify for Brazil in 2014.

Archived