Schaumburg Flyers Unveil New Logo

BallWonk

The independent Schaumburg Flyers redesigned their logo and uniforms last week. Their press release is here:

http://www.flyersbaseball.com/full_game_story.asp?id=671

But if you want to see the old and new logos, go here:

http://www.flyersbaseball.com/

This is a huge downgrade in my judgment. What was once among my favorite independent ball logos and uniforms has been replaced by something that honestly looks to me like a computer design project I might have done in middle school circa 1986.

20082614447.png

Oh! That is hideous!

I agree with you BallWonk. The Flyers had the best logo in the Northern league. The new pilot is bad, but I think the icing on this crap cake is the lack of script for the wordmark.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Dear God, that new pilot is horrible. Also, is it me or does the black thing behind the wordmark look like a big black Band-Aid ®?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Well, the good news here is that crapfest will only see the light of day during Friday home games. However, it is getting slapped onto wildly unnecessary black jersey, on a team that's worn navy, burnt orange, and gold exclusively. And then there's this little nugget from the manager:

?Players play better if they look and feel good. I love the black look, and I?m excited for the new image this season,? says Field Manager, Mike Busch. ?You never know, if we get hot and win a couple Friday?s in a row, we might pull these out a little more often. I?m a superstitious guy and I?m all for whatever helps us win ballgames.?

Note to baseball gods and/or other Northern League franchises: please clobber the unholy hell out of the Flyers every Friday this season.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I debated making this thread but didn't really think many people would care lol. I live literally 2 minutes away and went to a ton of Flyers games last year. What I don't understand is that they aren't getting rid of the old logo. That logo and black uniform set is only going to be used on fridays. Why? I have no idea. They're still keeping their gold jerseys (which are now their dedicated home jerseys) and their blue sleeveless (which are now their dedicated road jerseys). I went to an exhibition game last Saturday at the Flyers' home and they were selling merchandise with both the new and old logos.

IMO, HUGE HUGE HUGE downgrade. If I had known that they were even considering changing their logo I would have submitted something.

Well, the good news here is that crapfest will only see the light of day during Friday home games. However, it is getting slapped onto wildly unnecessary black jersey, on a team that's worn navy, burnt orange, and gold exclusively. And then there's this little nugget from the manager:
“Players play better if they look and feel good. I love the black look, and I’m excited for the new image this season,” says Field Manager, Mike Busch. “You never know, if we get hot and win a couple Friday’s in a row, we might pull these out a little more often. I’m a superstitious guy and I’m all for whatever helps us win ballgames.”

Note to baseball gods and/or other Northern League franchises: please clobber the unholy hell out of the Flyers every Friday this season.

At this rate, that won't be hard. This is a team that ended their season with a 16 game losing streak. One of their last wins came when they threw negro league throwbacks and they wore the uniform of the Chicago American Giants while the KC T-Bones wore the uniform of the KC Monarchs. I just didn't like on the Chicago throwbacks that they were solid and not pinstriped. and what REALLY bothered me was that instead of even standard block numbering they used the numbering that belonged to the Boston Red Sox, and the nameplate (YES THEY PUT FREAKIN NAMEPLATES ON THE JERSEYS) was in the same arch and font that's used by the Detroit Red Wings.

and the real kicker? Later in the season, randomly for one game Schaumburg ended up wearing those same KC Monarchs jerseys for a game against Gary. WTF!

2IA3b.png

Even the OKC Thunder logo and the buffaslug are secretly laughing

The Buffaslug may be a crap logo, but at least it's well-drawn crap.

Also, I realize what the new logo reminds me of: The opening screen for "Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego" or "The Oregon Trail" on an Apple II, circa 1985.

20082614447.png

Definitely not better. Just different. Kindasorta.

Did they have some sort of contest? They said that 40 logos were submitted, and usually that means a crap party.

If they did, it must have been a super secret contest because it wasn't posted ANYWHERE on their site, talked about at games, or didn't get an e-mail sent.

Offtopic, but they did just post on their site that they are actually playing a game against Jennie Finch's defending National Pro Fastpitch softball champion Chicago Bandits.

Also apparently we're hosting the 2009 Northern League All Star Game, which hasn't been talked about or even announced.

Don't sully my childhood with that analogy.

That logo doesn't deserve to get dysentery.

Exactly.

2IA3b.png

Also, I realize what the new logo reminds me of: The opening screen for "Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego" or "The Oregon Trail" on an Apple II, circa 1985.

It's a reach, but conceptually, I could get behind that: it could symbolize the northwest suburbs' giant tax base that allowed Apple IIs for everyone at school back in 1989 when that sort of thing was a novelty or luxury, warming the nostalgic hearts of twentysomething Schaumburgers (and adjacent burbs too). That said, it's just a crappy logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I too saw this last week and forgot about it. Can't imagine why!

For a little perspective, here are the current primary and secondary logos for the Flyers - color-adjusted and all that:

Schaumburg Flyers, 1999 through present - Primary Logo:

SchaumburgFlyers_PRM_1999-9999.png

Schaumburg Flyers, 1999 through present - Secondary Logo:

SchaumburgFlyers_SEC_1999-9999.png

IMO - these are MUCH better.

I was living in Schaumburg when they got the team - I got a t-shirt and everything (!) - but moved to Colorado before they played a game.

Personal note: it's uncertain at this point, but there is a small chance I might end up back there again in the very near future.

They're not great, but I'm not howling with discontent. "Schaumburg" should probably be expanded to fit across the entire length of "Flyers," as opposed to Schaumburg itself, which has expanded far too much already. I heard this might have to do with an impending ownership change.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I too saw this last week and forgot about it. Can't imagine why!

For a little perspective, here are the current primary and secondary logos for the Flyers - color-adjusted and all that:

Schaumburg Flyers, 1999 through present - Primary Logo:

SchaumburgFlyers_PRM_1999-9999.png

IMO - these are MUCH better.

I was living in Schaumburg when they got the team - I got a t-shirt and everything (!) - but moved to Colorado before they played a game.

Personal note: it's uncertain at this point, but there is a small chance I might end up back there again in the very near future.

I like the wordmark aspect of these logos, but the little pilot guy looks tacked on and a bit ugly. Like his goggles are on crooked, darnit. However, the color scheme is great.

(And if you end up back here, you'll let me know, right?)

Archived