Rebranding the MLB: Part 9

elliott

Yes it needs black, not alot though, maybe as an outline. I understand black is needed cause of the usage in the bird, but it would be interesting to see how these would look if you incorporated red, a la their world series teams.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mind the first ones but they looked unfinished. I hate how the first letters were so much thicker than the others. They can be bigger, but even if you are just increasing the font size, they looked so much fatter it was ridiculous. Also, the stroke on the left side of the "J" of "Jays" is so uneven compared to the other letters. You could call the new wordmarks an improvement, but, I don't like how you have the maple leaf incorporated in. It looks really forced and unfinished in the update pic.

Like I said to patsox I don't love the light blue caps idea. I think it looks awkward with especially a gray or black jersey.

The blue jay looks cool but I don't think it is really doing anything. Just sitting, an eye and a beak. Then again, the more I look at it the more I like it.

Anyway, I am very interested in the update for this. And yes, the update will need more black. (OR RED! :P)

P.S. Your Wahoo looks better from the smaller view. And on the Mariners logo, why is the white highlight on opposite sides? Right on the Needle, Left on the M. I think you should make them both on the right, and that would look better.

I actually think the first scripts were better. The last scripts were at least very bold and, easy to read, and the maple leaf was placed perfectly. These are just boring right now. Black might make it better, but I still think I would like the first scripts more.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

The font is better, but yes it needs a dark color (notice I didn't say black) to complete the look, especially because it should be consistent with the bird. I don't think the part of the maple leaf that is between the letters should show through. The blue lines between the letters are quite distracting. Maybe apply this font to the previous style with an extra thrown in?

Ok, trying to come up with the best way to treat this, my next idea is to:

-add some black

-change the placement of the leaf to the original version

-possibly bring in some bevel action. I think if I do it in the general design of the current "Toronto" wordmark that they use, I could bring in some black but also give the wordmark some more life. Or, I could do a two-tone blue wordmark more in the style that the Angels use now.

Thoughts? Bevel or no?

p.s. I feel like this could be a long process, like the Marlins were, but I think that is a good thing as I really want to make this better, and I know it can improve. And I thank all of you for the comments so far.

A bevel sounds like a pretty good idea if you execute it well enough. I say use only one shade of gray if your gonna use beveling, because their current wordmark looks really cluttered with two shades of gray, IMO.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Actually cab I was referring to the "Toronto" wordmark where they use blue and black, you know, the font in agency bold. So no, I won't be using two shades of gray or anything like that.

Oh, yeah. Good then, that is probably my favorite wordmark they have. I want to see what you can come up with. A two-toned blue would work out really well with this.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Much better. Now it might be interesting to see a little of the light blue incorporated into the logo. It would be interesting to see how the leaf might fit in, but if it doesn't work, no biggie because these wordmarks are pretty good as is.

It would be nice to see the light blue integrated into the logo and jerseys, likebohob said. Maybe an alternate. I think that if you go the direction of the beveling, that the maple leaf would clutter the workmarks and make them too busy. I like what you have with these, beveling can look good if done right, and I think you are on the right track, unlike some MLB teams now (I'm looking at you Washington :huh: )

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

I personally think you could try something like this:

-Put the Jay head infront of the updated beveled wordmarks (kinda like they have currently on the homes). (Or just keep the wordmarks plain).

-then for [one of] the caps you could simply have the T infront of a maple-leaf.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Ok time for the major update.

BlueJays2009v2.gif

BlueJays2009v2jerseys.gif

I added light blue hightlights to the primary and changed the wordmark. I'm still looking for ways to update the bird, but so far I have not found anything better looking, I try to make it look a little more like the third sketch but it just looks clunkier and I feel like the current version is much sleeker and refined. The T cap logo is new, and I added a new number font to match the new wordmarks. You can figure out the jersey updates other than that. Shoot me some more comments.

You're close.

The wordmark under the primary logo needs a black outline, like the other ones do.

The cap logo needs royal in it. It's just light blue and black. Find somewhere to put royal in there.

Everything else is spot on.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

This is really great. I love the addition of the lighter shade of blue. The only thing I would change is add the darker blue to the T cap logo.

Archived