St. Louis Rams SOLD (pending NFL approval)

STL FANATIC

Rams should move back to LA and St. Louis should get the Jags. Jacksonville is a failed market, anyway.

As ideal as this seems, it'd be pretty foolish to be all like

"okay St. Louis, you like the Jaguars now."

"but I was so happy when Jesus gave Kurt Warner the power to--"

"YOU LIKE THE JAGUARS NOW"

"--nd I still miss the greatest sh--"

"YOU ARE A JAGUARS FAN"

At least Los Angeles has been teamless long enough for them to start fresh there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rams should move back to LA and St. Louis should get the Jags. Jacksonville is a failed market, anyway.

"YOU ARE A JAGUARS FAN"

At least Los Angeles has been teamless long enough for them to start fresh there.

Yes. Moving two teams when only one is required to have the same end result is beyond stupid.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rams sold to a University of Illinois grad living right here in Champaign-Urbana, IL!

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=698370

Here are the basic facts of what I reported for Thursday's Post-Dispatch:

Name: Shahid Khan.

Who is he: Khan, 55, is the president of Flex-N-Gate Corporation, an auto-parts manufacturer based in Urbana, Ill.

Where does he live: Khan has lived in the Champaign-Urbana area for more than 40 years and is married with two adult children. Khan is a graduate of the school of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Illinois.

What is he buying: According to league sources Khan will purchase the 60 percent of the team owned by Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez. But if Stan Kroenke wants to sell his 40 percent then Khan is prepared to buy that as well.

What are his thoughts on STL and the Rams: Multiple sources describe Khan as an enthusiastic Rams fan who has attended home games at The Edward Jones Dome. League sources say Khan is committed to keeping the team in St. Louis ... which was an important consideration to Rosenbloom and Rodriguez in making their decision to sell to him.

The sale is subject to approval of NFL owners. They can't vote on it until the closing of the sale which probably won't be finished until early April or so.

-B

Funny he wasn't on the list before, unless he's involved with Chaffetz (sp?). Do we know who this guy is?

Rams sold to a University of Illinois grad living right here in Champaign-Urbana, IL!

Who is he: Khan, 55, is the president of Flex-N-Gate Corporation, an auto-parts manufacturer based in Urbana, Ill.

Where does he live: Khan has lived in the Champaign-Urbana area for more than 40 years and is married with two adult children. Khan is a graduate of the school of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Illinois.

What is he buying: According to league sources Khan will purchase the 60 percent of the team owned by Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez. But if Stan Kroenke wants to sell his 40 percent then Khan is prepared to buy that as well.

What are his thoughts on STL and the Rams: Multiple sources describe Khan as an enthusiastic Rams fan who has attended home games at The Edward Jones Dome. League sources say Khan is committed to keeping the team in St. Louis ... which was an important consideration to Rosenbloom and Rodriguez in making their decision to sell to him.

The sale is subject to approval of NFL owners. They can't vote on it until the closing of the sale which probably won't be finished until early April or so.

-B

Funny he wasn't on the list before, unless he's involved with Chaffetz (sp?). Do we know who this guy is?

He was one of the "final 3" you kept hearing about, he just managed to keep his name out of the media. There's a lot more info here: http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-extra-points/uncategorized/2010/02/more-on-rams-sale-shahid-khan/.

Being that he's from right here in Champaign-Urbana, I can see from what I've been able to dig up, he seems like a well thought of guy around here.

The one knock on his resume is that the IRS came after him with a fairly large tax dispute. Some of their allegations were of using illegal means, but it wasn't a criminal complaint, and he paid it off almost immediately when the IRS came to him, so hopefully that's much adieu about nothing.

Outside of that, he seems good. Lots of donations back to U of I. Scholarly and athletically. Reportedly a Rams fan who's attended games. Came to St. Louis from Pakistan as a child so holds the city in high-regard. Forty-plus years of history in the midwest.

Seems like the real deal, and I certainly hope that's the case.

-B

He was one of the "final 3" you kept hearing about, he just managed to keep his name out of the media. There's a lot more info here: http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-extra-points/uncategorized/2010/02/more-on-rams-sale-shahid-khan/.

Being that he's from right here in Champaign-Urbana, I can see from what I've been able to dig up, he seems like a well thought of guy around here.

The one knock on his resume is that the IRS came after him with a fairly large tax dispute. Some of their allegations were of using illegal means, but it wasn't a criminal complaint, and he paid it off almost immediately when the IRS came to him, so hopefully that's much adieu about nothing.

Outside of that, he seems good. Lots of donations back to U of I. Scholarly and athletically. Reportedly a Rams fan who's attended games. Came to St. Louis from Pakistan as a child so holds the city in high-regard. Forty-plus years of history in the midwest.

Seems like the real deal, and I certainly hope that's the case.

At the very least, it looks like U of I may have somebody besides Roger Ebert to use in our "famous alumni" commercials. Most of the peeps we use are well-renowned physicists, which means they're not well-renowned in the least bit.

This means that every time the Rams lose, fans can yell "KHAN!!!"

And they can do it... in St. Louis.

Damn you for taking my memetic material from me. Although I was also prepared to use it in the offseason.

"YOU ARE A JAGUARS FAN"

"Whatevs. When is first pitch in the Cardinals game again?"

/We are all (not?) Ramguars

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am reasonably happy with this, especially when I learned about Khan's company revenues. I didn't realize auto parts where quite that big a racket.

My biggest concern is will Pakistani Immigrant + NFL Good ol' Boys Network = Rams organization still not catching breaks from the league?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think it matters how "committed" someone is to keeping a team in StL is. The money potential of Los Angeles will be hard for any businessman to resist.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This means that every time the Rams lose, fans can yell "KHAN!!!"

And they can do it... in St. Louis.

Damn you for taking my memetic material from me. Although I was also prepared to use it in the offseason.

"YOU ARE A JAGUARS FAN"

"Whatevs. When is first pitch in the Cardinals game again?"

/We are all (not?) Ramguars

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am reasonably happy with this, especially when I learned about Khan's company revenues. I didn't realize auto parts where quite that big a racket.

My biggest concern is will Pakistani Immigrant + NFL Good ol' Boys Network = Rams organization still not catching breaks from the league?

Completely unrelated, but something you may have interest in... the Rams are installing a permanent surface in the dome. Another plus development.

Do they no longer use the dome for conventions and the like?

Anyway, congratulations to Rams fans on what's surely an improvement to their organization.

Actually, I may have misrepresented when I said permanent (mostly because I wasn't aware of what that meant yet, either).

After some further reading, the situation will be that the same FieldTurf will be used each year, stored, and re-used the next year. The previous situation was that a new edition of FieldTurf was used each year, thus never being really "broken in" and not a great surface to play on.

Don't ask me why that was the case. I know why they can't keep it rolled out all year long (outlets for conventions and such), but I have no idea why storing the same turf was previously not an option.

They bought new turf every single year? I just heard the park district won't put FieldTurf in Soldier Field because it would cost $20 million or something. The park district's full of crap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They bought new turf every single year? I just heard the park district won't put FieldTurf in Soldier Field because it would cost $20 million or something. The park district's full of crap.

They did something weird like leasing it. The park district's still probably full of crap, though.

They did something weird like leasing it. The park district's still probably full of crap, though.

That makes sense. You can always count on the Rosenblooms to make some incredibly stupid and/or negligent penny-wise-pound-foolish decisions based on the bottom line. Once again, I feel compelled to point out that the old astroturf is still stored on its rollers at the stadium because it cost too much money to take it off and get rid of it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I believe it is $1.5 million for fieldturf. However, it would more than pay for itself quickly. They re-sod Soldier Field four times a year.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

Gotta laugh at Rush Limbaugh ultimately being turned down in favor of "Shahid Khan." He's gonna be hoppin' mad now.

Rush comments about Khan from today's show

RUSH: I want to congratulate Mr. Shahid Khan, who is 55 years old. He is the president of Flex-N-Gate Corp., an auto parts manufacturer based in Urbana, Illinois. He has lived in the United States 40-some-odd years. He is Pakistani descent, and he is the person who has been selected by the Rosenbloom family to purchase the St. Louis Rams.

I didn't get the Dubai Ports Deal, but we do have Shahid Khan. Now, he's gotta pass muster with the NFL owners. He's gotta go through the vote process there, but the Rams principals (Chip Rosenbloom and his sister Lucia Rodriguez) have sold the team to Shahid Khan of Urbana, Illinois. Congratulations to him. He says he's a big Rams fan. He goes to the Edward Jones Dome constantly and appears to want to be a pretty hands-on owner, from what we've been able to figure out.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

No word on whether or not he plans to rename the stadium the Khan Dome, sending local Catholic organizations into apoplectic seizures of biblical proportions.

Your Catholic fear and hatred is really becoming unreasonable...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Gotta laugh at Rush Limbaugh ultimately being turned down in favor of "Shahid Khan." He's gonna be hoppin' mad now.

Rush comments about Khan from today's show

RUSH: I want to congratulate Mr. Shahid Khan, who is 55 years old. He is the president of Flex-N-Gate Corp., an auto parts manufacturer based in Urbana, Illinois. He has lived in the United States 40-some-odd years. He is Pakistani descent, and he is the person who has been selected by the Rosenbloom family to purchase the St. Louis Rams.

I didn't get the Dubai Ports Deal, but we do have Shahid Khan. Now, he's gotta pass muster with the NFL owners. He's gotta go through the vote process there, but the Rams principals (Chip Rosenbloom and his sister Lucia Rodriguez) have sold the team to Shahid Khan of Urbana, Illinois. Congratulations to him. He says he's a big Rams fan. He goes to the Edward Jones Dome constantly and appears to want to be a pretty hands-on owner, from what we've been able to figure out.

Man, Tank, that may be your longest post in the last two years.

Sorry, you only gave us eight words and the rest was a cut/paste.

Please give us more if you are really concerned about the new Rams owner.

If you are going to spout crap, then go to where I know that I will expect it and won't really reply on the CCSLC NASCAR thread for 2010.

And I still bought JPM gear for the ACS and LVMS races!

No word on whether or not he plans to rename the stadium the Khan Dome, sending local Catholic organizations into apoplectic seizures of biblical proportions.

Your Catholic fear and hatred is really becoming unreasonable...

It's all religions, and it's not a fear.

Besides, the Catholics are the ones against birth control. In this context, the alleged "joke" made sense.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived