Chevy Avalanche - Colorado Avalanche

StPatty33

Hey, all!

So I own a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, and before I even bought one I thought it would be awesome (being an Avs fan) to combine my love for my truck and my love for the Avs. Thanks to some great photos from ADW77 and GoNordiques, I did the below mock ups fairly quickly to see what that may look like.

I want to essentially create an image that to die-hard fans would be recognizeable as one of Patrick Roy's helmet--the one that he wore the longest I believe, and for non-die-hard fans it would simply be cool looking.

Notes:

·I've replaced the "KOHO" stamps with "SUMMIT" stamps (for my design business, Summit Graphic Studios), which will make the whole thing tax deductable as advertising I'm sure.

·I haven't addressed the rear bumper yet--I don't think I'll be leaving it white, we'll see.

·I'm comparing a full body vinyl wrap to having an artist actually paint it (I've never touched an airbrush or I'd do it myself). Paint will last longer (the life of the truck, as opposed to 5 - 8 years for the wrap), but I don't know what the price for painting would be. So far the quotes for the wrap range from $2,000 - $4,800.

·I don't know if I like the cream molding I propose--it's meant to look like the edge of the padding that's visible on any holes in a hockey helmet. I included versions both w/black (which the truck has now), and cream.

·The straps and holes you see wouldn't be there of course--except I plan to make the gas cap look like a hole

Side view w/cream:

AvSide2.gif

Side w/out cream:

AvSide1.gif

Rear:

AvRear.gif

Front w/cream:

AvFront1.gif

Front w/out cream:

AvFront2.gif

That's it! As always C&C welcome, as well as any advice in regards to the notes above (especially paint v wrapping). Thanks for viewing!

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

GORGEOUS!!!!

I honestly love it man! If I saw that truck pass me by on the street, thats the truck id stare at in jealously for a minute after and in the process, be totally unaware of the green light and the line of cars honking behind me :P

I like them both but id say if I had to pick one itd be the ones without cream. It just looks more "Avalanche" to me.

I think itd be awesome if you really fell through with it, if you can do it I say go for it. Nice job!!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Very Cool. On a practical side I would go with the body wrap for a couple of reasons. First I do think it would be much cheaper if that is an issue with you. Second when it comes to getting rid of the truck it will help with the resale value. Third, if you were ever in a fender bender it would be a much easier issue to make everything match when needed.

To be honest I am surprised that the Big 4 and the NCAA have not started to market car wraps. And now with people holding on to there cars longer it would be a cool way to jazz up that clunker.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I was originally operating under the assumption that a wrap would be cheaper. After getting some wrap quotes I was surprised at the variation in price (and presumably quality), and it's a bit more expensive then I thought I have to admit.

The big big bonus is that I have more control over it, in that I would be creating the artwork from scratch. An artist could have a different style or technique than I would want to use and it could turn out significantly different than I would expect.

It's tough--too bad I can't get the Avs to pay for the wrap, haha.

spacer.png

I was originally operating under the assumption that a wrap would be cheaper. After getting some wrap quotes I was surprised at the variation in price (and presumably quality), and it's a bit more expensive then I thought I have to admit.

The big big bonus is that I have more control over it, in that I would be creating the artwork from scratch. An artist could have a different style or technique than I would want to use and it could turn out significantly different than I would expect.

Yea a wrap would be exactly as you design while an airbrush job would not. Curious what would the price be? I was looking at places on line and didn't find any that had price ranges posted. If you want you can just PM me if you don't want to post it on here.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Contact their marketing department, and offer your vehicle as a marketing tool at shows and events and whatnot. They might go for it!

Yea a wrap would be exactly as you design while an airbrush job would not. Curious what would the price be? I was looking at places on line and didn't find any that had price ranges posted. If you want you can just PM me if you don't want to post it on here.

I mentioned in the original post but the original post is pretty long too, so I'm not surprised it was overlooked, haha.

I had to contact 5 or 6 different places for quotes and they've ranged from just over $2,000 to almost $5,000 for the wrap. I have no clue what it would actually cost for an artist to airbrush the whole truck--and really I wouldn't be satisfied unless they're freakin AWESOME at what they do.

spacer.png

Contact their marketing department, and offer your vehicle as a marketing tool at shows and events and whatnot. They might go for it!

I guess it's worth a shot, huh? lol

spacer.png

Wraps are the way to go. You can easily change it out and for what they are, they are relatively inexpensive. The prices you quoted are very inline if not cheaper than I remember full wraps being. Its going to take at least 2 guys a half day to a full day to actually put this thing on. To paint that it's never going to look as good as a wrap would (unless you drop some major coin) and again, the big advantage, you can change it easily.

Everyone should be charging relatively the same amount for the vinyl itself. What the variation is is the installation. Are they estimating 2 or 4 people? How much are they paying their crew, etc.

When you set up your art files for this, have you're file full size at 100 dpi. Last time I did this I think you'd get charged about $16/sq foot and when you are talking a full wrap...that's a lot of square footage.

A cost saving thought is to do a half wrap or something and use your paint color as a fade or something. I'd highly recommend using a seam on the truck as an end point if you want to go with that. For example, only wrap the front half of the truck, you'll save a lot!

...When you set up your art files for this, have you're file full size at 100 dpi. Last time I did this I think you'd get charged about $16/sq foot and when you are talking a full wrap...that's a lot of square footage.

A cost saving thought is to do a half wrap or something and use your paint color as a fade or something. I'd highly recommend using a seam on the truck as an end point if you want to go with that. For example, only wrap the front half of the truck, you'll save a lot!

Good call on the fading. The way I designed this mock up the bumper is one color (white), the roof is one color (blue), and the gate (other than the '33' and 'SUMMIT' which I could slap on afterwards if I wanted) is one color (maroon). The problem is my truck is orange, so it really wouldn't work at all, and repainting/replacing any of those pieces probably would cost more than wrapping it. Great idea though, I was right there with ya!

I'll be creating the file itself at a HUGE resolution--I can always shrink it before I send it to them. Is 100 dpi the standard for their vinyl printing?

spacer.png

I mentioned in the original post but the original post is pretty long too, so I'm not surprised it was overlooked, haha.

I had to contact 5 or 6 different places for quotes and they've ranged from just over $2,000 to almost $5,000 for the wrap. I have no clue what it would actually cost for an artist to airbrush the whole truck--and really I wouldn't be satisfied unless they're freakin AWESOME at what they do.

Sorry I did read the post, but I must have glossed over the cost. The cost to airbrush WILL be higher, as most charge by the hour. As for contacting the Avs as mentioned in another post. Be careful, even thought your design does not show a logo and to be honest unless you know what it is supposed to be you might not get it. They may try to either take advantage of your idea or try to stop you.

I know you are just trying to show your team pride, but hey this is big biz for them.

Good luck and look forward to seeing how it turns out.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

you better hope my wife doesnt see your truck or you might be without a truck! shes the biggest Roy/Avs fan i know.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I'll be creating the file itself at a HUGE resolution--I can always shrink it before I send it to them. Is 100 dpi the standard for their vinyl printing?

100 dpi at full size is the standard. (at least when I used to do this a couple years ago, printing technology has improved I'm sure...)

So if you're truck is 15 feet long, you're file will be 15 feet long.

A couple guys around here are still in that business so they might be able to help you further. But definatly talk to whomever is printing them about that as well.

Go with the wrap. the lifespan is said to be 5-8 years, but if youre not living in the blazing texas sun, its possible that it could be like brand new after 5 years. plus the resale value. you should also look into 50/50. its a vinyl with 50% holes and 50% image that goes on the windows. its a great product that i just used on a record store. crisp print on the outside, virtually invisible from the inside. you could really expand your design into the rear and back windows. i've learned a lot about these materials in recent weeks. pm me if you have any questions. and i say go without the cream. it just looks right with the black. big points for the cage grill too.

Why don't you try to find a way to work in your Avalanche "C" logo that you use for your avatar? Since the wrap is an advertisement for your company you may as well include your work. I've always loved that logo.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Why don't you try to find a way to work in your Avalanche "C" logo that you use for your avatar? Since the wrap is an advertisement for your company you may as well include your work. I've always loved that logo.

I actually had planned to have that embroidered onto the leather seats, but it might be a good idea to put it on the back window or a front licence plate or something. Good call!

spacer.png

Archived