2011 NBA All-Star Game

Conrad.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, the very concept of an All-Star Game (in any sport) has jumped the shark. If I want to see the best players, I'll turn on Sports Center, or look them up on the internet. No need for meaningless exhibitions.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, exactly. I want to like the baseball one, but the home field thing just ruins it for me. I don't care about the NBA and NFL offerings at all. The NHL one is such a waste of time that it should stop existing altogether.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've begun to especially hate the Pro Bowl, because, with the Super Bowl having so much hype, it's hard to get into the Pro Bowl after that. The Game seems so big that anything after it is just a waste of time. Moving it to the week before the Super Bowl probably won't help. I've never really watched the NHL All Star Game, and I enjoy the HR Derby and Dunk Contest more than their sport's ASG.

I've begun to especially hate the Pro Bowl, because, with the Super Bowl having so much hype, it's hard to get into the Pro Bowl after that. The Game seems so big that anything after it is just a waste of time. Moving it to the week before the Super Bowl probably won't help. I've never really watched the NHL All Star Game, and I enjoy the HR Derby and Dunk Contest more than their sport's ASG.

At least the pro bowl is after the season, so the NFL doesn't shut down for three or four days for an "all star break". It sucks when there's no baseball because of the break.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

At least the pro bowl is after the season, so the NFL doesn't shut down for three or four days for an "all star break". It sucks when there's no baseball because of the break.

True. The day after the MLB All Star game sucks because there are no games whatsoever. One year the Reds were off the day after that. Not only did Cincinnati's All-Star not play, but they were off for two days after that.

The Winter Classic should be twinned with all the skill competitions and so forth if you absolutely need to have slapshot contests and glorified drills and all that jazz. Maybe an old-timers' game like 2003. That was neato. The Winter Classic is now the NHL's midseason spectacle that transcends the everyday regular season drudgery, and it actually counts because of standings and rivalries and so forth, unlike the "let's just try not to hurt ourselves" spirit of the All-Star Game. But hey, maybe you like to watch the world's best goaltenders not give a damn about their jobs?

Yeah, exactly. I want to like the baseball one, but the home field thing just ruins it for me. I don't care about the NBA and NFL offerings at all. The NHL one is such a waste of time that it should stop existing altogether.

Yeah, pretty much. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Look, this is an NBA thread...there are like eleventy thousand and two hockey threads here go talk about the NHL in those.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Look, this is an NBA thread...there are like eleventy thousand and two hockey threads here go talk about the NHL in those.

Discussions are organic, and this one briefly ended up talking about the phenomenon of all-star games in general being sort of irrelevant. Sorry to upset you. I don't think the idea was to turn this into a hockey thread, and I don't think I need patsox popping his head into the corner of the frame for no reason, either. Point taken, though.

I know what you mean, and I agree. I just had to get in my daily dose of hockey hate.

However, I take no responsibility for Patsox. :P

I just have to ask...

Why does anyone care where an all star game is? Unless you really want it in your hometown for some reason, why does it matter?

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that hosting the NBA All-Star Game is a big financial hassle for any team and they rarely make any money off of it. Perhaps this and the crappy economy has something to do with Los Angeles getting the 2011 slot.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I believe that they should look at all the teams/cities that haven't held an All-Star game and include them in one...and after that then go to a NBA ALL-Star rotation 6-years into the future, having 3 in Eastern Conference Arena's and 3 in Western Conference Arena's (alternating years). Then after the 6 year rotation they can change it up with 6 new NBA cities, especially if those teams build new arena's. I just hope they don't start taking it across the ocean to London as that was once briefly mentioned by Daved Stern in the future.

Example:

2010: Dallas, TX (Mavericks)

2011: Los Angeles, CA (Lakers)

2012: Orlando, FL (Magic)

2013: Portland, OR (Blazers)

2014: Charlotte, NC (Bobcats)

(Start 6-year All Star game rotation)

2015: Sacramento, CA (Kings) hopefully in a new arena

2016: Brooklyn, NY (Nets)

2017: Oklahoma City, OK (Thunder)

2018: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Raptors)

2019: Memphis, TN (Grizzlies)

2020: Detroit, MI (Pistons)

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

I believe that they should look at all the teams/cities that haven't held an All-Star game and include them in one...and after that then go to a NBA ALL-Star rotation 6-years into the future, having 3 in Eastern Conference Arena's and 3 in Western Conference Arena's (alternating years). Then after the 6 year rotation they can change it up with 6 new NBA cities, especially if those teams build new arena's. I just hope they don't start taking it across the ocean to London as that was once briefly mentioned by Daved Stern in the future.

Example:

2010: Dallas, TX (Mavericks)

2011: Los Angeles, CA (Lakers)

2012: Orlando, FL (Magic)

2013: Portland, OR (Blazers)

2014: Charlotte, NC (Bobcats)

(Start 6-year All Star game rotation)

2015: Sacramento, CA (Kings) hopefully in a new arena

2016: Brooklyn, NY (Nets)

2017: Oklahoma City, OK (Thunder)

2018: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Raptors)

2019: Memphis, TN (Grizzlies)

2020: Detroit, MI (Pistons)

Who knows, it's possible that may already have with some cities. Maybe the league is choosing L.A. again because they're the only warmer NBA city that can really fund it in this time of need. I like your rotation idea though. And I wouldn't be surprised if the league were test it out overseas in London at some point. Can anyone say jet lag, especially for west coast teams!?! <_<

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

You know, when I first read about this a while back one of my first thoughts besides "Why won't the NBA ever put a game in the East?" was this...

How come Boston and Toronto haven't thrown their hats into the ASG ring? They have fairly newish arenas and they're big media markets as well and can probably run a successful All-Star Game.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

You know, when I first read about this a while back one of my first thoughts besides "Why won't the NBA ever put a game in the East?" was this...

How come Boston and Toronto haven't thrown their hats into the ASG ring? They have fairly newish arenas and they're big media markets as well and can probably run a successful All-Star Game.

I bet you Toronto's waiting for 2017.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived