2011 NBA All-Star Game

Conrad.

p1_asg2011.jpg

LOS ANGELES, JUNE 7, 2009 -- Los Angeles, a city with a reputation for producing highly successful sequels, and STAPLES Center, considered one of the world's best arenas for sports and entertainment, have been selected to host NBA All-Star 2011, marking the fifth time The City of Angels and the second time STAPLES Center will be the site of the annual celebration, NBA Commissioner David Stern announced at a press conference today in Los Angeles. AEG President and CEO Timothy J. Leiweke and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa joined Stern at the announcement.

The 60th NBA All-Star Game will be played on Sunday, February 20 at STAPLES Center which will also host the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam and NBA All-Star Saturday Night. NBA All-Star Jam Session presented by adidas, the hugely successful interactive basketball celebration, will return to the Los Angeles Convention Center. Additionally, the NBA has the ability to activate the great hospitality and event spaces across the street from STAPLES Center within L.A. LIVE including the new Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott hotels. Los Angeles becomes the first city to host five NBA All-Star Games.

...terrible idea in my opinion. they need to share the wealth with the ASW (2003 is last year it's been in Eastern conference). maybe i just hate LA alot too, but damn, this is bad news.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They just had All-Star weekend their in 2004....there's 29 other NBA cities in the league, half in the eastern conference. What about Orlando or Toronto getting an ASG?

I would say Orlando is coming up soon. Their new arena opens in the 2010-2011 season, and they probably didn't want the event in the first season of the new venue.

Okay that is so not good. I mean hell give it to I dont know like CLEVELAND. Or Charlotte? Or how about Chicago (who I dont think has EVER hosted the All-Star game since the United Center opened)? Boston? Detroit? Indiana? Toronto? Miami?

Any one of those would be better than giving it to another Western Conference City!

If memory serves me correct:

2010: Dallas

2009: Phoenix

2008: New Orleans

2007: Vegas

2006: Houston

2005: denver

2004: Los Angeles

2003: Atlanta

2002: Philadelphia

2001: Washington

2000: Golden State

1998: New York

1997: Cleveland

1996: San Antonio

1995: Phoenix

1994: Minnesota

1993: Utah

So out of that list say about 14 teams are all WEST teams?

They just had All-Star weekend their in 2004....there's 29 other NBA cities in the league, half in the eastern conference. What about Orlando or Toronto getting an ASG?

I would say Orlando is coming up soon. Their new arena opens in the 2010-2011 season, and they probably didn't want the event in the first season of the new venue.

Orlando didnt get it because in 2011 the convention center is booked in Feburary so it cannot host Jam Session. Orlando offered to have Jam Session as an outdoor event but with weather and all you cant take that risk. 9 times out of 10, Orlando will host in 2012.

What I dont like is that they are keeping this event out on the West Coast and that its goin back to LA too soon. There are plenty of East Coast Venues that have yet to host since they opened.... Boston, Toronto, Miami, Chicago, Charlotte.

The All Star Game hasn't been in Boston since 1964. Now I know there are a lot of festivities apart from the game nowadays that may be more pleasurable in warmer weather cities, but I'd say Boston is as deserving a city as any (especially when the Staples Center, which opened in '99, will have had two All Star Games by the time the TD Banknorth Garden/FleetCenter, which opened in '95, has had any.

I know New York wants the ASG again but the renovated MSG wont be ready till 2012 i believe, and I think every East Coast team has to wait till Orlando gets it 1st, but still not that LA is a bad choice because it is big city, warm weather, lots of hotels, My beef is that its another West Coast team and LA just had the ASG.

David Stern quotes:

"We're likely to shorten the rotation a bit because it's getting more difficult to find cities with the kinds of amenities, close hotel accommodations, the convention center and the like, and LA has been a popular destination," he said.
This year's event was in Phoenix and next year it will be in Dallas. Warm weather climates in major tourist destinations appeal to the NBA's owners and international broadcasters, Stern said.
"Our guests seem to come in greater numbers to warm weather, and that's something we're going to have to face up to and deal with as we seek to attract the largest number," he said.

In order for a team to host the ASG, they have to want it. I've heard the Pistons haven't hosted the ASG because they don't want the hassle.

It's much the same reason why Philadelphia and Comcast-Spectacor (owners of the 76ers and Wachovia Center) no longer wanted any part of the All-Star Weekend. Ed Snider said it was such a hassle to deal with the league in setting up the event, because the NBA wanted too much control.

I do agree they should share the wealth among the other NBA cities. I'm somewhat surprised that Chicago and Boston, two of the league's flagship cities, haven't been in the All-Star rotation more. But, then again, United Center and TD Garden are both privately-owned buildings (and the Celtics are just a tenant in theirs), so I can understand them not wanting cededing control of their buildings at the NBA's mercy. I can also imagine if and when the Nets EVER get their arena in Brooklyn built, they'll be in the rotation as well, maybe bypassing Manhattan and MSG for the time being.

Just looking at it objectively.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Boston Celtics: 4 times (1951, 1952, 1957, 1964)

New Jersey Nets: 1 time (1982)

New York Knicks: 4 times (1954, 1955, 1968, 1998)

Philadelphia 76ers: 4 times (1961-Syr, 1970, 1976, 2002)

Toronto Raptors: 0 times

Chicago Bulls: 2 times (1973, 1988)

Cleveland Cavaliers: 2 times (1981, 1997)

Detroit Pistons: 3 times (1953-FW, 1959, 1979)

Indiana Pacers: 3 times (1968A, 1970A, 1985)

Milwaukee Bucks: 1 time (1977)

Atlanta Hawks: 5 times (1958-StL, 1962-StL, 1965-StL, 1978, 2003)

Charlotte Bobcats: 0 times

Miami Heat: 1 time (1990)

Orlando Magic: 1 time (1992)

Washington Wizards: 3 times (1969-Bal, 1980, 2001)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Denver Nuggets: 3 times (1976A, 1984, 2005)

Minnesota Timberwolves: 1 time (1994)

Oklahoma City Thunder: 2 times (1974-Sea, 1987-Sea)

Portland Trail Blazers: 0 times

Utah Jazz: 1 time (1993)

Golden State Warriors: 3 times (1960-Phi, 1967, 2000)

Los Angeles Lakers: 5 times (1963, 1972, 1983, 2004, 2011)

Los Angeles Clippers: 3 times (1971-SD, 2004, 2011)

Phoenix Suns: 3 times (1975, 1995, 2009)

Sacramento Kings: 2 times (1956-Roc, 1966-Cin)

Dallas Mavericks: 2 times (1986, 2010)

Houston Rockets: 2 times (1989, 2006)

Memphis Grizzlies: 0 times

New Orleans Hornets: 2 times (1991-Cha, 2008)

San Antonio Spurs: 2 times (1975A, 1996)

Note: No All-Star game in 1999. (Lockout) 2007's ASG was held in a neutral venue.

I have to ask, why not Portland? No other team's been in the league longer without ever hosting it.

LvZYtbZ.png

David Stern quotes:
"We're likely to shorten the rotation a bit because it's getting more difficult to find cities with the kinds of amenities, close hotel accommodations, the convention center and the like, and LA has been a popular destination," he said.
This year's event was in Phoenix and next year it will be in Dallas. Warm weather climates in major tourist destinations appeal to the NBA's owners and international broadcasters, Stern said.
"Our guests seem to come in greater numbers to warm weather, and that's something we're going to have to face up to and deal with as we seek to attract the largest number," he said.

ugh...thats bad to hear. i just hope this doesnt turn into a Super Bowl situation.

Okay that is so not good. I mean hell give it to I dont know like CLEVELAND. Or Charlotte? Or how about Chicago (who I dont think has EVER hosted the All-Star game since the United Center opened)? Boston? Detroit? Indiana? Toronto? Miami?

Any one of those would be better than giving it to another Western Conference City!

If memory serves me correct:

2010: Dallas

2009: Phoenix

2008: New Orleans

2007: Vegas

2006: Houston

2005: Denver

2004: Los Angeles

2003: Atlanta

2002: Philadelphia

2001: Washington

2000: Golden State

1998: New York

1997: Cleveland

1996: San Antonio

1995: Phoenix

1994: Minnesota

1993: Utah

So out of that list say about 14 teams are all WEST teams?

You mean 12 cities are West cities or Western Conference cities.

Still, too many. Show some love for the East.

The Raptors, the only Canadian team, have yet to hold an ASG. Bull :censored:.

The NHL probably wont have an All Star game in Canada until Bettman is gone.

With that attitude, I won't give you another all star game until I'm gone

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived