Gypsies fantasy baseball

undead

This is probably the second design I ever attempted. I thought it would be interesting to make a logo for a team called the Gypsies because I'm always trying to think up crazy ideas. I did the original logo about 2 years ago. I thought it was finished at that time but I didn't think it was good enough to post. I had the day off today so I decided to revisit the concept. Here's the original of 2 years ago:

gypsielogoalone.png

The nose always looked cut off so that was the first thing I wanted to fix. I never liked the font either so that was next to go. I wanted to spend some time on beveling so I really paid attention to that. I used more colors and colors that screamed baseball. Green for grass, brown and tan for the dirt and the bats. I haven't come up with a cap logo yet. Maybe a baseball wearing the Gypsy hat? I do have a secondary of a caravan/trailer. Nothing says Gypsy like cavavans and the hat he wears to me. I'll post that logo when I get the time. My favorite part of the concept is his cocky smile.

What do you guys think?

gypsiesweb.png

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I think "Gypsy" is one of those terms we don't use anymore, like Eskimo or Lapp. (Roma, Inuit, Sami, respectively and respectfully)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think "Gypsy" is one of those terms we don't use anymore, like Eskimo or Lapp. (Roma, Inuit, Sami, respectively and respectfully)

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that. I know that people look down upon "gypsies". Borat is not too fond of them in his movie and the "pikeys" are mistrusted in Snatch. The people on the TV show 'The Riches' are "gypsies", I believe. Today, "gypsies" are more popular than ever. I was just trying to add to their moment in the sun. I thought it would be ironic to name a team after a mistrusted band of nomads. I'm sorry if I offended anybody. I didn't know that word was frowned upon. Any suggestions on what I should change the name to?

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that. I know that people look down upon "gypsies". Borat is not too fond of them in his movie and the "pikeys" are mistrusted in Snatch. The people on the TV show 'The Riches' are "gypsies", I believe. Today, "gypsies" are more popular than ever. I was just trying to add to their moment in the sun. I thought it would be ironic to name a team after a mistrusted band of nomads. I'm sorry if I offended anybody. I didn't know that word was frowned upon. Any suggestions on what I should change the name to?

I think Romanies might be the preferred term but I could be wrong on that.

On the design side while the first typeface you used for the script wasn't perfect I think it had more of the necessary character than the second one does. They is a very distinct style with regards writing and design and it would be a shame not to try and incorporate some of that into the design.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

On the design side while the first typeface you used for the script wasn't perfect I think it had more of the necessary character than the second one does.

You're right 9erssteve, the more I look at it the more I like the original font. The original is written in all capitals and that's why it doesn't look right(besides the letters going every which way). I already am working on one that uses the original font. I'm also going to work on his hand as requested by jaha32. Stay tuned.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

It's been a while but here I am with an update. First here's the caravan secondary logo I promised:

caravanalone.png

It's nothing fancy. I also created that two years ago. I just updated it to match the color scheme. A gypsie needs his caravan because he's nomadic.

Here's the primary updated with the new/old font and more definition to his hand:

newgypsieslogoalone.png

I like the font choice a lot better. It has a distinct style that is fitting for a team named the Gypsies, I think.

And lastly, I tried to push myself further. I'm trying to get away from people hiding behind wordmarks in my designs(soon I'll have to make animal logos so I can get away from this once and for all.) I wanted the Gypsy to do something. I thought about what others have said about "Gypsy" being a term of the past. I figure if you call him a Gypsy, he might take offense. Maybe he isn't holding the bat to play baseball, maybe he's using it to protect himself, his family, or his property. I wanted him to say "come on, let's go." I think this alternate logo adds a scary element to the design.

newgypsiespartiallogoalone.png

I tried to incorporate the wordmark under the logo but it was just too much. His "come on" hand made it look like the i or e were wearing some kind of headdress.

I'm about done boring you guys, what do you think?

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

This is pretty good! One recommendation-- I think the two-tone skin color is a bit too much, and the original shows all features are evident even when using one color for skin. So, for simplification purposes i'd lose the shading color.

I really dig the wordmark.

This is pretty good! One recommendation-- I think the two-tone skin color is a bit too much, and the original shows all features are evident even when using one color for skin. So, for simplification purposes i'd lose the shading color.

I really dig the wordmark.

Nole42, you are right. By using that brown "midtone", I was trying to make this logo look like the modern style logo. A lot of modern logos have 5 or 6 colors in them if you include the shadows, highlights, etc. Getting rid of the brown simplified the logo enough without taking anything away from it, IMO. Here's the last update for comparison and the new without brown logo:

newgypsiespartiallogoalone.png

newgypsiespartiallogonobrown.png

I fixed both of his hands. I also moved his bat-holding hand and arm a little further away from his body. His body looked tiny before but now I think it fills out a little better. You may not notice this because example a and b are different sizes, but do keep a look out for it.

Here's some cap logos I did tonight:

caplogos.png

The first logo is obviously a baseball wearing a gypsy hat. I took some liberties with the stitching so I could make the ball resemble the gypsy man. I tried to make the ball look mean and have a fu manchu mustache(I may of been influenced by my visit to the clink room today while looking at the Mr. Red concepts.) The second cap logo is course a "G" for gypsy wearing the same hat.

Hopefully if you guys aren't too sick of this, I'll whip up some uniforms. Thanks for bearing with me, I'm trying to develop this concept as much as I can.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

First off I'll have to say the inspiration for me to finish this logo after two years was when I saw Jaha32's Washington Generals logo. I liked how he took a person we all recognize, George Washington, and made him into an excellent logo. My Gypsy is also based off of a picture but I was wondering why mine didn't compare with Jaha's(besides him having more talent than me). I realized the other day what it was, my logo had no personality. Why didn't you guys tell me? Since the Gypsies concept is so out there it reminds me of some minor league baseball logos like the Modesto Nuts or Lansing Lugnuts. So I decided to add a cartoon element to the Gypsies. I am by no means a cartoonist but it seems like I need to learn how to be one if I want to continue making logos as a hobby. Here's the Gypsies with more personality. The body's not done. I just wanted to post what I had so far to get some feedback.

battingcartoongypsy.png

I could also see a full body version of this logo like the Boston Celtics.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I love this! Not only is he in a batting stance...he appears to be ready to lay a major beatdown on someone. The arm and hands could stand to be a little more defined/detailed, but I'm totally diggin the update.

I could see the team's slogan being something like, "Come get f***ed up!" :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Vast improvement with this latest update! The old one looked like Vin Diesel right down to the blank look on his face. Looking forward to the full body update.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Ok, here's the full identity package. I named them the Greenville Gypsies. I made up the name Greenville because I wanted to see if I could incorporate a city name into the primary. I changed the wordmark to white outlined in green because it really popped that way. Using colors other that white made the team name get lost in the logo. One of the alternate logos is a reincarnation of the "come on" gypsy. I'm not done with the full body gypsy but I hope to have it done soon. I hope you enjoy the update.

gypsiesidentity3.png

Thanks for stopping by.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Archived