UFC 100

Still MIGHTY

UFC 100 - Tonight 10 p.m. Eastern/ 7 p.m. Pacific

MAIN CARD

Heavyweight Championship - Unification bout: Brock Lesnar (3-1, 6'3", 265 lbs) vs. Frank Mir (12-3, 6'3", 245 lbs)

Randy Couture was the reigning heavyweight champion, but announced a year-long resignation. Antonia Nogueira beat Tim Sylvia for the interim title. Mir beat Nogueira for the interim-heavyeight title during the finale of "The Ultimate Fighter." During the airing of "The Ultimate Fighter," Couture returned to UFC was beaten by Lesnar, making Lesnar the Heavyweight Champion. This unification fight was scheduled for UFC 98, but Mir had to pull out due to a knee injury. Lesnar and Mir have fought once before in Lesnar's UFC debut at UFC 81. During the fight, Lesnar has controlled much of the match and got Mir to the ground and began to pound on him. Mir was able to secure a kneebar on Lesnar and force him to tap out.

Welterweight Championship: Georges St. Pierre (18-2, 5'10", 170 lbs) vs. Thiago Alves (16-3, 5'9", 170 lbs)

St. Pierre, Yahoo! Sports top pound-for-pound fighter, is defending his Welterweight title. This will be his third title defense, successfully defending against contender Jon Fitch and UFC Lightweight Champion B.J. Penn. Alves has won 8 straight matches going into this fight. St-Pierre is a fighter with strong wrestling, and trains with the Canadian Olympic team. His conditioning, strength and athleticism have also been identified as strong attributes. Alves is well-versed in Muay Thai. This will be St. Pierre's and Alves' first match against each other.

Midddleweight bout: Dan Henderson (24-7, 5'11", 185 lbs) vs. Michael Bisping (17-1, 6'1", 185 lbs)

Henderson and Bisping were opposing coaches on the ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter." Henderson is the first fighter to concurrently hold championship belts in two separate weight classes in a major organization, which he did in PrideFC. After PrideFC was sold, Henderson entered the UFC and lost his championships to Quinton Jackson and Anderson Silva. Bisping was the winner of the third season of "The Ultimate Fighter" and has been undefeated since moving to the middleweight class. The winner of this match will face off against Anderson Silva for the UFC Middleweight Championship at a later date.

Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama (12-1, 5'10", 190 lbs) vs. Alan Belcher (14-5, 6'2" 185 lbs)

Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch (18-3, 6'1", 170 lbs) vs. Paulo Thiago (11-0, 5'11", 170 lbs)

Anybody going to be watching tonight?

Any comments on the fighters or the matches themselves?

I personally am very excited for the Lesnar vs Mir fight. These guys are titans. It is going to be a great match. I'm also rooting for St. Pierre and Henderson. St. Pierre is a beast, just flat-out beast. I like Henderson a lot too. That will be a damn entertaining fight.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really only pay attention to the UFC when GSP is fighting and I can tell you this I don't think it will be a cakewalk for St-Pierre, Alves will give him a run but GSP will win and it should be a legendary bout.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I have ordered it and I am looking most forward to GSP/Alves.

In the Lesnar/Mir synopsis you gave, Lesnar gave him a beat down until the ref (Mazagatti) stopped it to stand them up and took a point away from Brock for "hitting the back of the neck", which was questionable. More experience for Lesnar to have a greater sense of submission defense will only assist him. While I like Mir working for WEC, he was in deep trouble last time and that really has not changed.

Akiyama def. Belcher by split decision.

It was extremely close, but I would've given it to Belcher just based on the damage he caused to Akiyama on his leg and eye.

Henderson ANNIHILATES Bisping for the KO

Bisping kept straying to his left to avoid Henderson's attacks and ran into Henderson's right hand one too many times.

Henderson leveled him with one final right handed BOMB that KOed him, and he didn't realize Bisping was KOed and followed him to the ground and gave him one more right to the jaw.

WOW.

That's why I love this guy. Henderson is a beast!

St. Pierre has been all over Alves.

Alves has gotten in maybe 5 or 6 leg kicks through 4 rounds.

St. Pierre has just taken him down time after time and gotten a lot punches and elbows to the head of Alves.

Alves needs a KO to salvage this match. And that's going to require them staying on their feet for the entirety of the round. GSP won't let him do it.

GSP is on his way to defending his title for a 3rd straight time, barring something crazy.

St. Pierre defeats Alves by unanimous decision.

There was no doubt. Pure domination.

He even said he injured his groin in the 3rd round and STILL dominated Alves... WOW. He is just amazing

I love that GSP owned him on the ground..Alves cant knock anyone out on his back...

I called Akiyama to win..but Belcher got robbed

And man is Henderson a beast when hes on or what...

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Wow.

Quick. Easy. Dominant.

Way to go Brock!

Great UFC. Way to go 100.

(Why the hell is Fitch/Thiago the final fight? Why wasnt Lesnar/Mir or GSP/Alves the night cap? Whatever)

Brock Lensar defends Heavyweight Belt off T.K.O. and the fans are not happy. Did he flip the bird to all the fans when he was celebrating? I'm gonna go home and have a Coors Light because Bud Light doesn't pay :censored: . Gotta love his post fight interview.

detsig.png

I went to Hooters to watch the PPV with a couple of my buddies. The place was packed. All the tables were taken before we got there and we ended up standing around the bar all night. My thoughts:

I try to get behind Brock because he is so impressive athletically, but he's just such a monumental douchebag that it becomes impossible for me to like him. I knew Mir was a dead man going in, but I was still rooting for him to shut Brock up. Oh well. Lesnar is a scary scary man, though the giant penis tattooed on his chest still weirds me out.

GSP is the best fighter in the world, no doubt about that. Props to Alves for making it through five rounds with the best, but he didn't win a single round and spent just a ridiculous portion of the fight on his back. He never stood a chance, mostly because he never stood. I like GSP more and more every time I see him fight.

Henderson absolutely ruined Bisping. That KO got the biggest reaction of the night from our crowd, with a big "USA!" chant going right after the knockout. Wicked punches.

Unlike some others who have posted, I actually thought Akiyama deserved the win. Good debut for him. While it might not have been as decisive as some would have liked, getting a win in his first fight, at the biggest event UFC has ever held, is good for him.

We didn't stick around for the Thiago/Fitch fight or any preliminary fights they might've showed. Anyone know which fight all the blood on the mat was from?

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Wow.

Quick. Easy. Dominant.

Way to go Brock!

Great UFC. Way to go 100.

(Why the hell is Fitch/Thiago the final fight? Why wasnt Lesnar/Mir or GSP/Alves the night cap? Whatever)

It was the aftercard. Both them and boxing sometimes holds off a fight in the event there are many which do not go the distance. There ia a lot of time between bouts if you see it live and the card started at around 4pm PDT. Three of the six prelim fights did not go the distance and paid for three hours of satellite time so it needs to be filled. Here, they taped it to air.

Lesnar proves to be an interesting conundrum for Dana White. He's a huge (in every definition of the word) star capable of being one of the guys that can really help bring UFC into the mainstream. Unfortunately, he's also incredibly polarizing. He got booed mercilessly last night despite a dominant victory. He then went on to taunt his beaten opponent, flip off the live crowd, and trash one of UFC's biggest sponsors in Bud Light. Sure Brock gets attention, but is it really the kind of attention that UFC wants?

If Dana White has to keep pulling Brock Lesnar aside and telling him to shut his mouth, it may eventually get to the point where he wonders whether this investment is worth it. I do know that now more than ever I wish White would set his ego aside, do his honest best to try to forge some kind of agreement with Fedor, and bring the Russian in to have one huge clash of the titans.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Lesnar proves to be an interesting conundrum for Dana White. He's a huge (in every definition of the word) star capable of being one of the guys that can really help bring UFC into the mainstream. Unfortunately, he's also incredibly polarizing. He got booed mercilessly last night despite a dominant victory. He then went on to taunt his beaten opponent, flip off the live crowd, and trash one of UFC's biggest sponsors in Bud Light. Sure Brock gets attention, but is it really the kind of attention that UFC wants?

If Dana White has to keep pulling Brock Lesnar aside and telling him to shut his mouth, it may eventually get to the point where he wonders whether this investment is worth it. I do know that now more than ever I wish White would set his ego aside, do his honest best to try to forge some kind of agreement with Fedor, and bring the Russian in to have one huge clash of the titans.

Lesnar is a tool plain and simple,doesnt matter if hes mouthin off about the refs,sponsors,Mir or what.I honestly think he thought he was back in Vinny Mac's ring last night.Fedor would smash him all over the octagon,and if it ever were to happen Dana should do it in Chicago so I can pay to see it :)

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

GSP is a stud. I dont think there is anyone in the Welterweight division that can beat him.

As for Lesnar, awesome. Dominated Mir and than the talk after the match was classic. I dont care if what he said was disrespectful or whatever, it was entertaining.

beLEAF

Archived