UFC 100

Still MIGHTY

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with slapshot. Mir was the hometown guy and obviously the fan favourite. If people didnt like Lesnar, he wouldn't have been pushed so quickly into the spotlight and given a title shot so soon in his career by Dana White. White is a smart guy, he knows Lesnar makes him a ton of money and he showcases him. Secretly, I think Dana loved Lesnar's post fight comments except for the Bud Light one because Bud is one of the UFC's top sponsors.

How about Dan Henderson, wow, what a knockout. I hate Bisping so I loved the extra shot at the end :P

beLEAF

Sure Brock gets attention, but is it really the kind of attention that UFC wants?

No such thing as bad publicity...

Here I disagree, but Mark Cuban does not and he has bought into Zuffa, the privately owned holding company of the UCF. On your biggest global stage yet, there you have Henderson give an additional blow to an unconscious fighter, Lesnar's tirade, and a more profane tirade from your president the day before in Dana White (who already has been protrayed as a homophobe), you are bringing out the warts in your sport.

Dana White Being Dana White (Profanity Laced interview)

Their controlling of fighters and their low purses in terms of gate receipts and PPV income will soon come to light with more fans.

Now that I've finally watched UFC 100 after painstakingly dodging every chance at a spoiler (except for Brock beating Mir, there was no avoiding that :P), here's my take on the matches:

#1: Belcher won that fight. Akiyama had a good first round, but Belcher definitely got the best of him in the other two. Belcher got robbed, but I guess it's good that Akiyama was able to get his first win stateside. His fans in Japan probably went ape :censored: as they watched or whenever they heard the news.

#2: USA! USA! USA! Henderson beat the :censored: out of Bisping. That was awesome. Unfortunately, Henderson's not gonna beat the Spider Silva. Maybe if Silva comes out and has a terrible fight, but more than likely that's not gonna happen.

#3: GSP. What else can be said about that dude? Thiago Alves is a damn good fighter, he's a great striker, but GSP's a great striker and probably the best wrestler in UFC today, rivaling Lesnar. GSP absolutely dominated that fight. He got all the damage in, got all the takedowns, and the one time that he FINALLY was on his back (for the first time in 2 and a half years according to Rogan), GSP was the one doing his damage. Basically, GSP doing all of that with a pulled groin after round 3 was spectacular to say the least. GSP is BY FAR the best at 170, and maybe the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

#4: Brock Lesnar, as WWE-ish as his antics were at the end of the match, officially staked his claim as the top heavyweight in the UFC after basically dominating Mir. If you really think about it, Lesnar is one rookie mistake in his first fight against Mir away from being an UNDEFEATED heavyweight champ in the UFC. It was impressive as hell, you just don't see guys in the UFC get TKO'd the way that Lesnar KO'd Mir. That combination of brute strength and wrestling skill that's GSP-level good is scary. It's basically a guarantee that if Lesnar gets on top of you, you will lose. Period.

UFC, with the exception of BJ Penn, really has some dominating champions right now. Lesnar basically made a mockery out of the heavyweight division in his run to winning and defending the title. Anderson Silva & GSP are just plain amazing (They have GOT to fight each other sometime in the future. That fight would be EPIC.), and Machida's just awesome as well. The only two divisions that may be open for business are the Lightweight division (BJ Penn's good, but he only has that division's belt because he can't win at 170 due to obvious reasons :P) and the Light Heavyweight division (Machida's dominating, but that division is stacked. There's more than a few guys that could beat each other on any given day.). Other than that, Lesnar, Silva, and GSP look like they're going to be champs for a while. Other than Fedor coming to UFC and beating Lesnar, I don't know who could beat Silva or GSP right now.

• 4 weeks later...
Since there was not a 101 thread started, posters must not be UFC people as 101 has started and at least the co-main event (if grammar thinks it is correct), was great. Anderson Silva ruined Forrest Griffin in 1 round.

That was terrific. The punch that did in Griffin wasn't all that impressive, but it was more of the icing on a cake of whupass that the Spider delivered to Griffin. That beating was something else. If you enjoy watching fights, then find a way to watch the asswhuppin that Anderson Silva laid on Forrest Griffin. Griffin LEFT THE ARENA IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE FIGHT.

Rampage Jackson's reaction:

I feel so bad for Forrest. I don't even want a rematch anymore. LOSER!!

Since there was not a 101 thread started, posters must not be UFC people as 101 has started and at least the co-main event (if grammar thinks it is correct), was great. Anderson Silva ruined Forrest Griffin in 1 round.

That was terrific. The punch that did in Griffin wasn't all that impressive, but it was more of the icing on a cake of whupass that the Spider delivered to Griffin. That beating was something else. If you enjoy watching fights, then find a way to watch the asswhuppin that Anderson Silva laid on Forrest Griffin. Griffin LEFT THE ARENA IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE FIGHT.

Rampage Jackson's reaction:

I feel so bad for Forrest. I don't even want a rematch anymore. LOSER!!

He got his a$$ kicked and the KO was much like Sugar Ray Robinson hitting a guy while walking away.

Man, that was some intense fights, but not the way I wanted some of them to go

I had a feeling KenFlo couldn't beat BJ considering he was using the same tactic & everytime it wasn't working.

Silva, I mean, damn. He's back to his old ways, when he was toying with Forrest, I knew Forrest was doomed.

Can't wait for 102, Coture vs Nog.

baltimoreravens.png

1249790463478.gif

The more that I see it, the more I think that Silva basically hit the sweet spot and sent Forrest to sleep while he was in motion. Great display. I think we just saw this generation's version of "No mas."

KenFlo had no chance. BJ Penn's too good against the takedown, and yet KF was deadset on trying to take him down...then BJ Penn got the takedown, owned him on the ground and the fight was over like a minute after the fight hit the ground.

Straight up, Forrest Griffin got embarssed. Pathetic performance on his behalf. Silva looked like the Ali of MMA last night, the guy just proved all the doubters wrong.

As for Penn winning, :censored:! I hate BJ Penn and Im a big fan of Florian but Florian got dominated, didnt stand a chance. I know Penn moved up to fight GSP but it goes to show you how good GSP really is when he can dominate a guy like Penn who absolutely destroyed Florian.

I want to see Silva/GSP but I think its to much of a jump for GSP and I dont think GSP can handle Silva. Although everytime people doubt GSP he ends up dominating his opponent. It would be the biggest fight in MMA history in my opinion.

As for Fedor, screw him. He's not the best fighter in the world if hes not willing to fight the best. I honestly think Lesnar would beat the crap out of Fedor. Who has Fedor fought besides washed up UFC heavyweights? No one. Seriously though, a co-promotion? Got me Fedor. Dana White is a smart business man and he isnt co-promoting with anyone no matter how good you think you are.

beLEAF

Straight up, Forrest Griffin got embarssed. Pathetic performance on his behalf. Silva looked like the Ali of MMA last night, the guy just proved all the doubters wrong.

As for Penn winning, :censored:! I hate BJ Penn and Im a big fan of Florian but Florian got dominated, didnt stand a chance. I know Penn moved up to fight GSP but it goes to show you how good GSP really is when he can dominate a guy like Penn who absolutely destroyed Florian.

I want to see Silva/GSP but I think its to much of a jump for GSP and I dont think GSP can handle Silva. Although everytime people doubt GSP he ends up dominating his opponent. It would be the biggest fight in MMA history in my opinion.

As for Fedor, screw him. He's not the best fighter in the world if hes not willing to fight the best. I honestly think Lesnar would beat the crap out of Fedor. Who has Fedor fought besides washed up UFC heavyweights? No one. Seriously though, a co-promotion? Got me Fedor. Dana White is a smart business man and he isnt co-promoting with anyone no matter how good you think you are.

Agreed. That would be huge. Probably the two best pound for pound fighters there are.

glossysig5.png

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to bump as UFC 102 from the Rose Garden (Portland, OR) is on Saturday night.

Main Card:

Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira (To see who is washed up. A 46 year old vs. a 33 year old)

Light Heavyweight bout: Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva (Jardine = the "Ken Norton" of the UFC Lt. Hwy. Division)

Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia

Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (Brandon moves down to 205)

Middleweight bout: Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

Non PPV bouts includes Gabriel Gonzaga who KO'd Cro Crop in his UFC debut.

Thoughts?

Main Card:

Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira (To see who is washed up. A 46 year old vs. a 33 year old)

"Both" is the answer to that question...

Yawn.

Dana White = teh s uck

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Main Card:

"Both" is the answer to that question...

Yawn.

Dana White = teh s uck

Only Strikeforce management and M-1 global may dislike Dana White as much as I do. That foul-mouthed, "CEO" is too arrogant and naive to realize that they must get past the "Tapout" and "Ed Hardy" shirt, tatted up crowd. And I have been to two events. UFC 59 (Griffin/Ortiz) and UFC 60 (Gracie/Hughes). I know it was SoCal, but even then I know that the Vegas shows are even more "douchy". Plus their tickets are getting more and more pricey while the fighters still get j@ck. On Tuesday, visit mmapayout.com to see how :censored:ty guys get paid to fight.

Wanted to bump as UFC 102 from the Rose Garden (Portland, OR) is on Saturday night.

Main Card:

Light Heavyweight bout: Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva (Jardine = the "Ken Norton" of the UFC Lt. Hwy. Division)

Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia

Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (Brandon moves down to 205)

Middleweight bout: Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

Non PPV bouts includes Gabriel Gonzaga who KO'd Cro Crop in his UFC debut.

Thoughts?

The undercard is going to be decent, and Jardine & Silva should be a damn good match. I'm just happy that Couture vs. Nog isn't a championship fight, because that'd go 5 and it'd be the longest 25 minutes in the history of UFC. Good thing it'll only go 3. I don't see a KO coming in that one.

Archived