Baseball World Cup

xyzzyva

I saw a story today about baseball's World Cup, and it seemed like the idea is final. It said there were expected to be 16 nations represented during a break in Spring Training 2005. This got me thinking on how it should be organized. Anybody have any ideas? Here's mine:

I'd hold it in the Phoenix area, since there are several stadiums and spring complexes relatively close to the city. (Sorry, for the periods, theres no better way to make a table.)

City.........Capacity...Facility

Peoria.......11,000.....Peoria Sports Complex

................12,882.....Peoria Stadium

Surprise....10,500.....Surprise Stadium

Mesa.........12,500.....HoHoKam Park

Tempe........9,785.....Tempe Diablo Stadium

..................7,875.....Packard Stadium

Phoenix.......8,775.....Phoenix Municipal Stadium

.................48,569.....Bank One Ballpark

...................8,000.....Maryvale Baseball Park

Scottsdale...11,200.....Scottsdale Stadium

I would divide the countries into 4-team groups, and base each group at one facility. Each group would play a single round-robin, and the top two in each would advance to another group play round, which would then narrow it to a final four. The semifinals and finals would be best two-of-three, with at least the finals held at Bank One Ballpark. The most games any team could play is 12, and to shorten the whole thing, there could be some doubleheaders. But this is just my opinion.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Round of 16

Dodger Stadium

Safeco Field

Camden Yards

Minute Maid Park

Round of 8

Bank One Ballpark

SBC Park

Final Four

Yankee Stadium

I'm sure Phoenix is a swell place, but JQK's got it right (even though he's gonna get flamed for having the final at Yankee Stadium and omitting Fenway).

Round of 16

Dodger Stadium

Safeco Field

Camden Yards

Minute Maid Park

Round of 8

Bank One Ballpark

SBC Park

Final Four

Yankee Stadium

Hey, no love for Kauffman or Wrigley? :D

I thought about it that way, too, but i thought the travel could be a problem (for getting many players to participate), and the weather in the northern cities is sometimes less than ideal in March. Maybe if they were to play the thing during an extended All Star break in July, in place of the regular summer classic, it would work better. Im excited for it, however it happens.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I agree with JQK the Final Four has to be at Yankee Stadium

However I would Have the Elite 8 in

Fenway Park and Wrigley Field

Everything else does not matter but those two historic stadiums must be represented highly.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't think you can hold this tourney in new york in february and march, it just wouldn't be received too well. Unless the tournament one day comes during a break in the mlb season it will not played up north in an outdoor stadium.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If they want to hald this tournament at the end of spring training, like right now, this time of year, having the Final two games at Yankee Stadium is more than likely. You can't have the championship anywhere else. And if it's in the 40's, well, then so be it, but you can't have the World Cup of Baseball Championship anywhere other than the most famous stadium in all of the world.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I just realized this tournament will be going head-to-head with the NCAA tourney, not a great idea in my book. Between that and the weather, I say they extend the All Star break to 6-7 days and play it then. It may be doomed to failure if it tries to beat March Madness. And the cathedral of baseball is on the North Side, not in the Bronx.

(Royals fan, anti-Yankee by nature)

Agreed. You could have the first World Cup of Baseball in the Caribbean. That would be a huge incentive for players to go and play, rather than coming to the cold US and play in the winter. Plus, it would do great things for the economy in those countries.

If you wanted to do the final games here, you could do that. I could understand doing it in the US to get a buzz around it, but I don't know if it would be possible because of the length of the major league season.

'course, I think we need to go back to 154-gm schedule anyway.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Archived