2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Have to admit this went right over my head until Clark Judge pointed it out on cbssports.com:

===

Miami has itself to blame for blowing a 24-3 lead, but you can't blame the Dolphins if they're irked with officials. They spotted New Orleans a score, and follow me here. On the last play of the first half, Marques Colston makes a catch and stretches for the end zone ... with a touchdown called. Only it wasn't a touchdown, and because the Saints were out of timeouts, that would have been the half. But now there's a replay review, the clock stops and the Saints get one more snap. Touchdown. If the right call had been made, they would've been in the locker room, but, hey, that's no excuse for blowing a 21-point lead.

===

Can't blame Dolphins fans for being ticked. Seems there should be some kind of rule or allowance in the replay system to prevent this from happening.

Two things about that. One, is that who's to say that if he hadn't called it a touchdown, but down at the six-inch line, that the booth wouldn't have called down in those last few seconds with an official's booth review time out stopping the clock to check and see whether or not it was a touchdown. Lord knows it wasn't a "blown call"; it was very close and required a slow-motion replay to overrule the touchdown call on the field.

Second, and more importantly, remember Miami called a time-out before the last snap. At that point, the field goal unit had been on the field, and it was during that time-out that Drew Brees went over and convinced Sean Payton to let him go for it, rather than kick the field goal. Miami has no one to blame but themselves for that.

On another note, that huge comeback was something I've seen a number of times in Saints games...just from the Dolphins' point of view. For example, once on MNF the Saints led the Ray-duhs 35-14 and lost 42-35 in overtime. :cursing:

I was AT that game, too....

It is what it is.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Redskins raise stakes in coveted "my NFL franchise most resembles a failing third world dictatorship" contest.

Race to the bottom baby. Detroit, Oakland, St. Louis....how low can you go?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How dumb must've Malcolm Glazer felt today? Sitting in the same stadium his soccer team uses (which nearly bankrupt him to purchase) packed with 84,000 fans (most of which think he's an absolute fool for making the purchase, and who are all pissed off at him for raising ticket prices), watching his American football team get shellacked by a team who's owner also owns an MLS team.

New England Revolution > Manchester United

YAY AMERICA!!! :unclesam:

For accuracy, I am not sure Malcolm Glazer was at Wembley, though a couple of the family were. Secondly, Wembley isn't 'used' by Manchester United. They occasionally might play a domestic Cup Final there, but there home ground is actuially in Manchester! (Old Trafford).

That being said, the Glazer empire did have to cope with the soccer team losing 2-0 to Liverpool and the US Football team getting hammered by the Patriots. I am guessing they have had better days!

Not sure of this was a jab at the Galzers, but I do know that Tom Hicks is in financial trouble as hedge funds are not what they once were.

How dumb must've Malcolm Glazer felt today? Sitting in the same stadium his soccer team uses (which nearly bankrupt him to purchase) packed with 84,000 fans (most of which think he's an absolute fool for making the purchase, and who are all pissed off at him for raising ticket prices), watching his American football team get shellacked by a team who's owner also owns an MLS team.

New England Revolution > Manchester United

YAY AMERICA!!! :unclesam:

For accuracy, I am not sure Malcolm Glazer was at Wembley, though a couple of the family were. Secondly, Wembley isn't 'used' by Manchester United. They occasionally might play a domestic Cup Final there, but there home ground is actuially in Manchester! (Old Trafford).

That being said, the Glazer empire did have to cope with the soccer team losing 2-0 to Liverpool and the US Football team getting hammered by the Patriots. I am guessing they have had better days!

Not sure of this was a jab at the Glazers, but I do know that Tom Hicks is in financial trouble as hedge funds are not what they once were.

Kraft May Eye Liverpool (With a Salary Cap)

Have to admit this went right over my head until Clark Judge pointed it out on cbssports.com:

===

Miami has itself to blame for blowing a 24-3 lead, but you can't blame the Dolphins if they're irked with officials. They spotted New Orleans a score, and follow me here. On the last play of the first half, Marques Colston makes a catch and stretches for the end zone ... with a touchdown called. Only it wasn't a touchdown, and because the Saints were out of timeouts, that would have been the half. But now there's a replay review, the clock stops and the Saints get one more snap. Touchdown. If the right call had been made, they would've been in the locker room, but, hey, that's no excuse for blowing a 21-point lead.

===

Can't blame Dolphins fans for being ticked. Seems there should be some kind of rule or allowance in the replay system to prevent this from happening.

Two things about that. One, is that who's to say that if he hadn't called it a touchdown, but down at the six-inch line, that the booth wouldn't have called down in those last few seconds with an official's booth review time out stopping the clock to check and see whether or not it was a touchdown. Lord knows it wasn't a "blown call"; it was very close and required a slow-motion replay to overrule the touchdown call on the field.

Second, and more importantly, remember Miami called a time-out before the last snap. At that point, the field goal unit had been on the field, and it was during that time-out that Drew Brees went over and convinced Sean Payton to let him go for it, rather than kick the field goal. Miami has no one to blame but themselves for that.

On another note, that huge comeback was something I've seen a number of times in Saints games...just from the Dolphins' point of view. For example, once on MNF the Saints led the Ray-duhs 35-14 and lost 42-35 in overtime. :cursing:

I was AT that game, too....

You poor bastard...at least I could rant in the privacy of my own home that night. :D

Wasn't saying the refs or replay messed up the call, I think in the end that the point is a replay shouldn't result in a team getting a play they wouldn't have otherwise had. The timeout doesn't really matter because the Dolphins wouldn't have called it except for the replay. So the same way there's a 10-second runoff for an offensive penalty near the end of a half, there should be a runoff - probably five seconds, about the minimum I can imagine it taking to get the offense lined up and spike the ball - to prevent a team from getting an advantage from a replay.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Great, now the Saints have the Falcons AND the SI curse to worry about Monday night:

28sijpg-8e92ee49da007df0_large.jpg

All in all, I guess it's a good problem to have... B)

i dont remember recieving this issue....

It's this week's issue, mine just arrived in the mail today. The pic came from an online article in the N.O. paper.

Great, now the Saints have the Falcons AND the SI curse to worry about Monday night:

28sijpg-8e92ee49da007df0_large.jpg

All in all, I guess it's a good problem to have... B)

i dont remember recieving this issue....

It's this week's issue, mine just arrived in the mail today. The pic came from an online article in the N.O. paper.

Yeah it's regional covers this week.

I assume the South got the Saints and everybody else got Ryan Howard. Here in SoCal, I got Ryan Howard. I would've loved to have the leaping Reggie Bush cover. Oh well.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Atlanta Falcons CB Tye Hill will be starting in lieu of CB Brent Grimes after he came down with a case of Can'tturnmyheadaround-itis. Hopefully Tye Hill comes down with a case of KicksassafterleavingtheRams-itis.

Atlanta Falcons CB Tye Hill will be starting in lieu of CB Brent Grimes after he came down with a case of Can'tturnmyheadaround-itis. Hopefully Tye Hill comes down with a case of KicksassafterleavingtheRams-itis.

My preference would be the far more serious Whichoneofthesemofo'nSaintsreceiversamIchasingtotheendzonethistime-itis. :D

Hopefully Tye Hill comes down with a case of KicksassafterleavingtheRams-itis.

Will Witherspoon came down with a nasty case of that on Monday Night.

*continues drinking heavily*

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This week in "finding new and exciting ways to lose"

The Rams pick off Detroit in the end zone.

The intercepting player takes a step out of the endzone.

And is tackled back into the end zone.

For a safety.

/Profanity.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived