New Wichita State Logo

Waffles

http://www.kansas.com/news/breaking/story/933429.html

Wichita State University will soon have a new logo, which will be phased in starting Sept. 14.

The new logo will replace the university's current logo and the wheat logo used by athletic teams. The school will make no changes to WuShock or to other athletic logos. The official university colors will remain black and yellow.

It cost $15,000 to develop the new logo and $50,000 for the entire package of standards and guidelines to direct graphic designers and others on how to use the logo, colors, name and other visual elements.

After Sept. 14, any new merchandise will bear the new logo from Gardner Design of Wichita.

If I'm reading the article correctly, this will be used as a university and athletic logo. For reference:

NEW:

75-WSU_full_logo_color_rgb.embedded.prod_affiliate.80.jpg

OLD:

180px-WichitaStateShockers.png

good modernization of the previous logo.

I agree on the lettering -- it's an excellent update. I'm not sold on the wheat, however. Now it seems too dark; it's a stalk of black wheat with a black leaf and mostly black kernels. This is what wheat looks like after drought and wildfire destroys the harvest. For any one-color application of the logo, this would be fine, but in two-color, the presence of the gold in the outline only serves to emphasize its absence from the wheat.

Kind of a minor nitpick, though; this is still a good update.

20082614447.png

I am SHOCKED! :shocked: Nice update on the wheat. I don't like the fact that the W now looks lower case w.

I see what you did there.

While I can see why some would call it an update (it is decently rendered, after all), losing the distinct curves in the "W' and the "W" really kinda ruins it for me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

http://www.kansas.com/news/breaking/story/933429.html
Wichita State University will soon have a new logo, which will be phased in starting Sept. 14.

The new logo will replace the university's current logo and the wheat logo used by athletic teams. The school will make no changes to WuShock or to other athletic logos. The official university colors will remain black and yellow.

It cost $15,000 to develop the new logo and $50,000 for the entire package of standards and guidelines to direct graphic designers and others on how to use the logo, colors, name and other visual elements.

After Sept. 14, any new merchandise will bear the new logo from Gardner Design of Wichita.

If I'm reading the article correctly, this will be used as a university and athletic logo. For reference:

NEW:

75-WSU_full_logo_color_rgb.embedded.prod_affiliate.80.jpg

OLD:

180px-WichitaStateShockers.png

The wheat should've remained yellow, coming from the yellow outline of the letters. Ditch the outline around the wheat and turn it yellow and it'd be an improvement.

Re: the logo looking dated... as someone who's tried several times to make a concept for a fictitious/future "Wisconsin State University," I can tell you the letters WSU aren't very easy to work with. The W, by nature of it usually being twice as long as the S and U tends to throw everything off balance. All that considered, I think this is a pretty good modernization.

Archived