Clippers concept

whchoclte

First let me introduce myself, my name is Greg Malek, I was the designer for the AZ Cardinal logo Pantone posted. Thank you all for the constructive criticism.

I have been working on a Clippers Concept and just finished it the other day. The link is below.

www.geocities.com/whchoclte29/clippersconcept.html

(copy and paste)

The logo is designed to bring in the ocean and the sun back to the bay using the old colors of sky blue, orange and adding navy to tie in the franchises history. The current logo, I believe, is just not original enough. It needs to have its own identity, not that of the Lakers and the warm climate, great waves etc, are a part of LA and old sandiego. The sails are designed as 3/4 of a basketball to give it a bball feel. The whoel concept was to bring action and adventure back to the farnchise whiel tying in its surroundings.

As for the wordmark, I brought back the old nautical flags from the SD uni to tie in its histiory and give it more of an ocean feel. The font is on a lsnat to represent action.

The unis are very simple except for the shorts. Once again incorporating the ocean and a wave which ties in the uni to the logo. I kept the nautical falgs on the shorts because the old SD unis had them also. The smallest stripe on each is meant to be piping, such as a raised line, just a different touch.

Well enhough from me, hope you enjoy.

That is one of the greatest logos I've ever seen.  Seriously.  If that was on a hat, I'd by it in a second.

I find those signal flags are a bit much though, even if they area nice touch.  But I guess they work.  I'd put the logo on the back of the jersey right below the collar and on the right leg of the shorts (where you have the 2).  Also, there's something a bit off about having LOS above ANGELES on the road jersey.  If you could get that on one line, I'd be great.

I think a good alt would be to have the signal flags going across the front of the jersey, instead of the word Clippers.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Love the design, but I'm not quite feeling the colours.  Maybe that would work in the blue and red motif they currently have?  

The shorts are unique, for sure, but I'm not sure I like them.  I definitely don't like that much white on the road/alt shorts.  (And the flags on the shorts?  Eh.)

I know, I'm giving alot of negative.  I do like the logo design.  Incredibly creative.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Wow, that puts all of us to shame.

That's incredible. Are you a professional? If so, PM me. I'd like to speak with you.

In regards to the jerseys and logos, I very much like them. The colour scheme is not my favourite, but the execution of incorporating the ship with sails into a basketball (the basketball could be stressed a little more by bring the bow of the ship higher. The compass points would be an interesting addition (I know you have the little ones, how would bigger ones look that pointed to the north etc look?). The font is fabulous. Could you send it to me? The wordmark portion of the logo could be a little larger, it's dwarfed by the image. The signal flags are an interesting idea, but I'd go with a background compass instead for the wordmark.

The jerseys are great, although I don't know what that crazy wave pattern on the shorts would look like in real life. Guaranteed to be some nay-sayers on those, I like them on the concept, but will reserve my judgment til I see something like that in real life or in a video game. The orange alternate is my least favourite, and the signal flags look out of place on the side of the jerseys (they introduce unnecessary colours and are too detailed for trim). The numbers could be taller on the back of the jerseys.

That's all I could find, wonderful work Greg.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

To be honest...iI love 'em, they look much better than what the Clips have now, my only dislike are the flags, they just look out of place to me. Another thing that struck me as weird is how the color scheme looks some much like the Cavs current/old one, and having Miller's jersey as the model just makes me think Cleveland. I just say to do something with the shorts rather than the wave and flags, if possible remove the flags completely. All-around great work Greg (cool name :D it's my first name too if you didnt know ), cant wait to see what you can come up with.

I really like these a lot. I actually forgot that I always support the current unis on this board (still love the classic simplicity of the red roads). Anyway, you certainly have a lot of talent. The Clippers logo and the Cardinals logo are great.

On the Clips unis, I have to agree that the flags seem a bit much, maybe because they are made up of so many bold primary colors on the backdrop of the lighter blue, orange and white. I almost think it would be acceptable to take creative license and use the four colors you've got and rework the flags in those shades, but maybe that defeats the purpose, I don't know. I like them in the wordmark, it's just a little much on the shorts.

Again, the logo is incredible and the unis look great (BTW, I like the staggered Los Angeles). Very nice job.

Hey guys thanks for the comments.

First the color scheme.  I didnt want to keep the red white and blue because the pistons went back, and the sixers.  Just think its overdone in every sport.  The orange and sky blue work well when done properly.  Just so happened the cavs logo was terrbile.  I also love being different and using new color schemes.  Dont think the baot would look good in red either.

As for the flags, I like the way they tie in the old history and uniform of San Diego.  If you dont know already the old San Diego Clippers unis had the flags on the side.  The retro craze is back so lets give the peopel a little of it.  That is where I got the idea.  As for coloring the flags a differnt color, no way.  The signal flags or nautical flags have been around for decades and should stay the way they were conceived.  I think the flags being a  bit smaller and less significant might reduce their appeal.  I think being different and staying away from regular stripes make it very unique.  

As for the compass comment.  I tried to make it almost appear like a sun ryas, ex. Maimi dolphins and compass marks.  But I would never use a compass as a major symbol because it has been done so many times ex seattle mariners for one.

The lines appear choppy because its a jpeg file not an illustrator file u are seeing.  

If i can clarify anything else please ask, I dont mind discussing my ideas.  Syphi.  I will Pm you when i get a free moment tomm.

Thanks,

Greg

Wow, amazing, great work, great thinking concept and great execution. Since everyone is droping their two cents, here are mine: The pattern on the pants is nice, but it splits pants so if someone asks you what color are pants you can't tell, so if the wave would split a pants so one color dominates that would be much better. Then, the color scheme is nice, but if you could just use a different (darker) shade of orange, or use navy blue little more would help, because the wholo logo is so light it looks like it's been washed out. But then tose are just some of mine input, and noting objective. One more time, great work, give us some more...

While although those are absolutely great logos, I have to say I don't really like the colors. I agree with you though when you say it's overused a tad bit.

I can't say it's the best Clippers concept I've seen however, I replied in a post earlier about a Clippers logo that was on Chris' old site. I thought that logo would be perfect for the Clippers.

The uniforms and this is where the color comes in, is that when you look at it, I kinda think New York Islanders. Just saying though, and I don't know what to say, but the uniforms to me look kinda wierd in those colors, but I'd have to see it in reality I guess.

Great work however, you're a very good artist.

sig09.jpg

Archived