2009-2010 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

I know nobody here takes what I say seriously or thinks I have any ability to see things both ways, but I do. Sorry to disappoint.

No, no I don't. Not disappointed, I really don't care about you to be honest.

If that's the case you sure seemed cheesed at me for explaining how it wasn't a clear shot to the head and how the right call (none) was made.

And honestly, I don't think much of you either. At least we can agree on something, I guess.

Only reason I responded was because you were telling me to stop complaining about certain things I wasn't even complaining about. Case closed.

Huzzah.

Hi, how are you?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refs in the NHL call penalties based on the number on the players jersey, bottom line. Anyone who doesnt think that certain guys get away with more than the so called "goons" are mistaken. Dont believe me? Watch a playoff series.

I believe it's true that some players are targeted and others are cut more slack. But I think for the vast majority of players, the refs simply call what they think is a penalty.

Mind you, I think that they do a pretty awful job at it. But for the most part I think they try to be fair.

Refs in the NHL call penalties based on the number on the players jersey, bottom line. Anyone who doesnt think that certain guys get away with more than the so called "goons" are mistaken. Dont believe me? Watch a playoff series.

I believe it's true that some players are targeted and others are cut more slack. But I think for the vast majority of players, the refs simply call what they think is a penalty.

Mind you, I think that they do a pretty awful job at it. But for the most part I think they try to be fair.

Well, aside from personnel decisions and delay-of-game calls, you're asking 2 refs to watch all 10 (or 12) player's actions in what's arguably the fastest sport played today. Some plays that look obvious after a slow-motion replay aren't so obvious at real-time.

Then again, I'm of the mindset that refs/officials/umpires don't determine the outcomes of games.

Pens,Caps & Thrashers fans can unite as they cheer on Team Russia.

Russia has named it's Provisional 2010 Olympic Hockey Roster.

Forwards

Alex Ovechkin, Capitals

Alex Semin, Capitals

Evgeni Malkin, Penguins

Pavel Datsyuk, Red Wings

Ilya Kovalchuk, Thrashers

Maxim Afinogenov, Thrashers

Alexei Morozov, Ak Bars Kazan

Danis Zaripov, Ak Bars Kazan

Viktor Kozlov, Salavat Yulayev Ufa

Alexander Radulov, Salavat Yulayev Ufa

Sergei Fedorov, Metallurg Magnitogorsk

Defense

Andrei Markov, Canadiens

Anton Volchenkov, Senators

Sergei Gonchar, Penguins

Denis Grebeshkov, Oilers

Fedor Tyutin, Blue Jackets

Dmitry Kalinin, Salavat Yulayev Ufa

Konstantin Korneyev, CSKA Moscow

Ilya Nikulin, Ak Bars Kazan

Goaltenders

Evgeni Nabokov, Sharks

Ilya Bryzgalov, Coyotes

Semyon Varlamov, Capitals

Although the squad is only preliminary this as it stands is quite the dangerous team and would be surprised if more then 3 or so players weren't on this team come Vancouver.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhockey/news/story?id=4771666

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Im really excited about Varlys selection to Team Russia. No, I dont think he'll get any playing time, but this is prime experience for him to take over the starting job in Sochi in 2014. What an honor for Varly.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Well if you actually do some research, you'd realize that your statement is foolish as "goons" don't wear certain numbers so how the heck do refs call penalties based on a player's number. I could see if they called more penalties on players that wore 60-98 because they would be rookies, but over the past 10 years or so every team has at least 2 or 3 players with those numbers. Refs call more penalties on "goons" because most of them are bad hockey players who aren't good enough to play more than 5 minutes a game and usually when they play more than 5 minutes, 2 minutes is for hooking, and 5 is for fighting, so these "players" are limited to 5 minutes or less because they aren't smart enough to stay out of the penalty box. A guy who keeps racking up penalties, is probably not the smartest of hockey players and hasn't figured out how to stay out of the box, therefore they get a lot of stupid penalties called on them. If you want prime examples, watch Ivanans from the Kings or Artukhin from the Ducks, these two morons have no clue how to go a game without getting a hook or a hold in the offensive zone. Yeah, those big time penalty leaders don't always get those minutes from fighting, a lot of them are from just plain stupid penalties.

Can someone explain how the Coyotes are currently in 4th place in the West? Most hockey experts pick them to be out of the playoffs this year, and rightly so.

Good Goaltending and Dave Tippet is a hell of a coach. If Ilya Bryzgalov continues his play they can very well finish the season in the Top 8.

In other news Sweden have named their olympic roster.

Forwards

Daniel Alfredson

Nicklas Backstrom

Tomas Holmstrom

Loui Eriksson

Peter Forsberg

Patric Hornsqvist

Fredric Modin

Samuel Pahlsson

Daniel Sedin

Henrik Sedin

Mattias Weinhandl

Henrik Zetterburg

Defense

Tobias Enstrom

Magnus Johansson

Niklas Kronwall

Nicklas Lidstrom

Douglas Murray

Johnny Oduya

Mattias Ohlund

Henrik Tallinder

Goaltenders

Henrik Lundqvist

Jonas Gustavsson

Stefan Liv

Can someone explain how the Coyotes are currently in 4th place in the West? Most hockey experts pick them to be out of the playoffs this year, and rightly so.

Well the Coyotes started off strong last season, and burnt out after the All-Star break. So I'm not sold on them yet this season. Still, they do have a promising, young team.

theres 2 names on the Sweden roster that are head scratchers to me, Forsberg, and Gustavsson. Has Foppa really been that dominant in his short time with MoDo this year that warrants a spot on the defending gold medalists roster for the Olympics? I cant imagine Gustavsson has been anymore lights out this year than Hedberg, or anyone else currently playing in Sweden. Otherwise, a very talented roster if they all get healthy before the Games.

Edit: Oh yeah, who the hell would think just looking at the name that Douglas Murray was a Swede? Not me!

Edit again: Forsberg has 15 pts in 9 games so far with MoDo, so he looks to be back in form. If he can play at that level in Vancouver, consider them the team to beat.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

theres 2 names on the Sweden roster that are head scratchers to me, Forsberg, and Gustavsson. Has Foppa really been that dominant in his short time with MoDo this year that warrants a spot on the defending gold medalists roster for the Olympics? I cant imagine Gustavsson has been anymore lights out this year than Hedberg, or anyone else currently playing in Sweden. Otherwise, a very talented roster if they all get healthy before the Games.

Edit: Oh yeah, who the hell would think just looking at the name that Douglas Murray was a Swede? Not me!

I'm more so with Freddy Modin yeah he's a great player when he is healthy but I don't think he's played a game this season but I guess Sweden has faith that he can step in and be the player he can be.

Freddy's played 8 games this season, registering 1 assist and 6 PIMs.

I cant imagine that he'll be on the final roster when theyre submitted in January. Theyve gotta have someone in the SEL that can play his role on the team. Modin played in Torino though, maybe hes there cause he has experience? I dunno what Bengt Gustaffson is thinking with that pick.

Freddy's played 8 games this season, registering 1 assist and 6 PIMs.

Alright that's what I thought. But I know what Freddy Modin can do I remember watching him in that 04' Cup Final.

Good Goaltending and Dave Tippet is a hell of a coach.

It's really nice how the league-owned Phoenix Coyotes were able to spring for the best coach on the market and still function as a competitive team. Sure beats the time the league-owned Montreal Expos weren't even allowed to call up their minor leaguers. If I didn't know better I'd say one league wanted to succeed in Phoenix while the other wanted to fail in Montreal, but thankfully I know better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Good Goaltending and Dave Tippet is a hell of a coach.

It's really nice how the league-owned Phoenix Coyotes were able to spring for the best coach on the market and still function as a competitive team. Sure beats the time the league-owned Montreal Expos weren't even allowed to call up their minor leaguers. If I didn't know better I'd say one league wanted to succeed in Phoenix while the other wanted to fail in Montreal, but thankfully I know better.

things are looking up for the coyotes. a new hopeful new ownership, 3 points from 1st in the west, media is falling in love with them and people are starting to take notice in the phoenix metro area. and bigmac, tippet is the reason why they're 4th. when playoff time comes and they are in i dont want to see you rooting for them when all you've been is dragging them in the mud

Much like Phoenix sports fans, I don't think you'll have to worry about me adopting the Coyotes.

My main point with that post was to reiterate what an utter travesty the Expos' league ownership was, but whatever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Two slumping Alberta teams play one and another tonight, after last night's game and it wasn't even a badly played game and the result 5-1 was what happens if you get behind early. How can it get any worse?

Archived