St. Louis Stallions

AHcreative

Knowing that I don't think it would be easy...

I thought having the head bent at the neck, forward (towards your nose) so he appears to be looking out at we looking at it would be interesting.

On your first attempt and on your fine sketch above, I get a feel that the stallions is looking slightly away from us. It could just be my eye!

If you sketch for yourself the lower jaw jutting out further than that of the snout or better yet, maybe one with him "biting" his lower lip,

these might change the "emotion" of your pony as compared to the Broncos. (Bronco's stern and fast, yours perhaps confident and strong!)

One more thing I noticed on your sketch, the wave that follows the front neck to the breast is looking kinda "Falconish"

Keep at it, I look forward to your efforts!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

So I finally got around to working on this. I thought I'd just start from scratch and this is what I have so far:

Stallions-1.png

I know I need to clean up the mane, I figure I can do that on the computer, but do you guys have any suggestions as to what else I should do with this before I trace it? Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Before taking this onto the computer I'd spend an hour or so researching horses. I know I bang on about this in every thread where someone has an animal based logo but the truth is if you want a design to work you need to know what the animal you're drawing looks like, not think you know what it looks like. No offense but it's clear from you're drawing that you think you know what a horse looks like but haven't looked at one in detail for a while.

Right now the heads to short the eye socket to high and to prominent, the forelock looks more like a horn than part of the mane. As it stands the proportions are all off and it's a shame as there are some really nice touches. I think the way you've drawn the mouth could work really successfully on a properly proportioned head. I'd also look at trying to find another way to shape the cut off on the neck it's still really reminiscent of the Broncos logo. Perhaps looking at the real muscle groups in horses neck will give you some inspiration to try something new and unique.

If properly proportioned I think this one will be more successful than the first attempt which look to young to be a Stallion, I dont know what it was but something in it said pony to me rather than stallion. This one while it still needs work definately feels more mature and stallion like, so I think with a bit more research and work you'll be heading down the road to strong outcome before you know it. Stick at it and keep us posted, I look forward to seeing this one develop.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I second everything 9erssteve said about the anatomy issues. You're also going to have to be very careful that all that hair doesn't end up looking like a plate of spaghetti. Use a very light hand with the highlights.

I still think you need to get away from those Bronco-esque slash marks coming up the neck and the generally Broncos-esque angle of the head (I know it's difficult to do), but you can worry about that after you get it digitized.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I know about the hair, I just figured that it would be easier to do on the computer, so I kinda rushed it. But from what was said, I actually looked up "stallions" on Google, and traced the general shape of the head, and then made minor alterations so that it didn't actually look like the photograph. I did try and change the perspective a little, so I'm more than assuming that's where I went wrong. I trust your critiques, so I'll go back to the drawing board to make some changes. Again, I will get to this, even if it takes awhile. Senior year keeps me mighty busy.

Thanks for the comments. I'll have something up as ASAP.

So I finally got around to working on this. I thought I'd just start from scratch and this is what I have so far:

Stallions-1.png

I know I need to clean up the mane, I figure I can do that on the computer, but do you guys have any suggestions as to what else I should do with this before I trace it? Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

This looks too much like Boise State. Try different angles or poses.

• 2 years later...

it looks like he's gasping. better fix that.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

it looks like he's gasping. better fix that.

Note the dates on the posts.

wow. this was made in 2009? did not notice that! why was it all the way up here then? stupid spam people again?

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Archived