Who has the best mask?

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In an absolute shocker, Luongo's boring mask wins.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=296410

Bad choices all around. Still so sure we aren't seeing "ooh! My team!" behavior there Icecap? Or are there just really that many country music fans voting in TSN polls? :rolleyes:

Country music? WTF?

Anyway if you want to play the "Canadians only voted for Canadian players!" like I pointed out 53% of the goalies to choose from were Canadian. A Canadian winning was statistically likely. As for Canucks fans stacking the vote, it's a possibility, but that's NOT quite the same as Canadians only voting for a Canadian player.

As for Luongo's mask winning, I agree it shouldn't have, but lets look at it like this.

It is better then the messy air brush design he had been wearing, and compared to the other air brush murals on there his mask ends up looking much better then it actually is. Also, his mask doesn't feature the Canucks' orca logo at all, which probably earned him points. Most fans don't like the orca and prefer Johnny Canuck and the rink 'n stick logo, the two logos his mask does feature prominently. That probably swayed a couple of votes from people who aren't necessarily uniform and logo geeks but who know that they definitely don't like the orca and remember the rink 'n stick logo from their childhoods.

And again I voted for Clemmensen, a Yank, so *shrug*

He should have won.

nikolai-khabibulin.jpg

I disagree. Compared to some others out there Khabibulin's mask is pretty nice, and he does keep the same general design on every team which is neat. The addition of the oil derrick is a nice touch to tie his own design into the team's identity, but overall it's not as nice as some other ones out there. Also, and this is just my opinion, but Fuhr's masks on the side really bring the design down. I'm not a fan of mask-on-mask designs.

Bad choices all around. Still so sure we aren't seeing "ooh! My team!" behavior there Icecap? Or are there just really that many country music fans voting in TSN polls? :rolleyes:

Country music? WTF?

Anyway if you want to play the "Canadians only voted for Canadian players!" like I pointed out 53% of the goalies to choose from were Canadian. A Canadian winning was statistically likely. As for Canucks fans stacking the vote, it's a possibility, but that's NOT quite the same as Canadians only voting for a Canadian player.

As for Luongo's mask winning, I agree it shouldn't have, but lets look at it like this.

It is better then the messy air brush design he had been wearing, and compared to the other air brush murals on there his mask ends up looking much better then it actually is. Also, his mask doesn't feature the Canucks' orca logo at all, which probably earned him points. Most fans don't like the orca and prefer Johnny Canuck and the rink 'n stick logo, the two logos his mask does feature prominently. That probably swayed a couple of votes from people who aren't necessarily uniform and logo geeks but who know that they definitely don't like the orca and remember the rink 'n stick logo from their childhoods.

You know what was on Price's mask right? If they ahd the updated one (can't remember) then switch country music fans to demon bikers. The point remains the same.

My original assertion is true, and very easily backed by just a casual scan of the polls/comments/etc. I have not said Canadians vote for Canadians, so I'm not quite sure why you are arguing against such a statement. I have said they will (blindly in most cases) vote for whatever their team is. It is a common behavior amongst almost everyone. Hence, my statement that I knew who would win. A simple glance over the various articles over the past few months relating to relocation and related topics and their respective comments should leave no doubt in anyone's mind that when it comes to Canada's most bellicose fans, rational thinking goes by the wayside at the sight of a maple leaf or orca breaking through ice.

But whatever, it's just a silly poll. Nabokov's is the best anyway. :hockeysmiley:

Best mask all-time:

barrasso0421.jpg

Tom Barrasso's Senators mask. Simple yet awesome.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Country music? WTF?

My original assertion is true, and very easily backed by just a casual scan of the polls/comments/etc. I have not said Canadians vote for Canadians, so I'm not quite sure why you are arguing against such a statement. I have said they will (blindly in most cases) vote for whatever their team is. It is a common behavior amongst almost everyone. Hence, my statement that I knew who would win.

Nope, sorry, not what you said at all.

Price or Luongo will win, all these TSN things turn into "YAY CANADA!!!"

Price or Luongo will win, all these TSN things turn into "YAY CANADA!!!"

Shocking how that happens on a Canadian website.

Nothing to do with the website. Merely an observation on the majority of TSN commenters and voters, who obviously can't see past the red and white leaf. Personally, I find it funny and sad that so many get so wrapped up/defensive about it. Evidence? See last year's goalie mask vote on Icethetics. Luongo's busy ass crap won. Really?

We can see clearly that you never mentioned team loyalties before. You said from the start of what should have been a harmless topic that Canadians will only vote blindly for Canadians. These two posts clearly prove your most recent assertion, that you never said anything to that effect, wrong.

A simple glance over the various articles over the past few months relating to relocation and related topics and their respective comments should leave no doubt in anyone's mind that when it comes to Canada's most bellicose fans, rational thinking goes by the wayside at the sight of a maple leaf or orca breaking through ice.

I find southern fans like you amusing. I really do. You accuse us of being nothing but traditional market only fanatics but you're the ones who argue to unreasonable lengths about why the Coyotes should stay in a market that's lost them $400 million and freak out any time a traditional market is mentioned regarding relocation or expansion. So really don't try to play the "we're all biased" card because you're no better.

After Luongo's mask was declared the best goaltender mask in the world, it broke and allowed Luongo to get hit in the face with seven pucks in a single game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived