Who has the best mask?

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Price or Luongo will win, all these TSN things turn into "YAY CANADA!!!"

Shocking how that happens on a Canadian website.

Nothing to do with the website. Merely an observation on the majority of TSN commenters and voters, who obviously can't see past the red and white leaf. Personally, I find it funny and sad that so many get so wrapped up/defensive about it. Evidence? See last year's goalie mask vote on Icethetics. Luongo's busy ass crap won. Really?

Canadians being proud of Canada? Can't see past the red and white leaf.

Americans being proud of America? DON'T EVER QUESTION IT! WE'RE THE GREATEST COUNTRY EVER!

Sorry twi, I'm not seeing the problem with Canadians liking Canada.

Edit- There were 30 goalies up to choose from. 16 were Canadian. That's 53.3%, meaning there's a statistical probability that a Canadian will win the vote just by virtue of the choices available. Does that mean it was nothing more then "Canadians who can't see past the red and white leaf"?

And FTR I voted for Scott Clemmensen, a Yank.

no this is the best mask of all time:

my goalie mask:

right side:

rightsideofgoaliemask.jpg

left side:

leftsideofgoaliemask.jpg

chin:

chinofgoaliemask.jpg

the logo is my granddad's (who died last year) nose art from his P-51D Mustang.

backplate:

backofgoaliemask.jpg

the other scottish flags are for the shutouts i got.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Best mask all-time? No question. John Vanbiesbrouck, Panthers.

beezer_mask.gif

Before the Hurricanes came along, the Panthers were my adopted team. Largely due to Vanbiesbrouck's mask. Anyone else remember a commercial where Vanbiesbrouck wears his mask around the house and ends up terrifying a little girl selling cookies door to door?

Clemmensen's mask looks like a weird hybrid of Beezer's mask and Felix Potvin's abstract cat design.

Something bothers me about the teeth on Clemensen's mask. I think its that the teeth are only on the lower part of the mask, but they have the pointy end at the base, where if those are supposed to be the teeth from the lower part of the jaw, they ought to be the otherway up.

Other than that, it's a strong design.

I still love Brian Hayward's Sharks Mask.

brian-hayward.jpg

Something bothers me about the teeth on Clemensen's mask. I think its that the teeth are only on the lower part of the mask, but they have the pointy end at the base, where if those are supposed to be the teeth from the lower part of the jaw, they ought to be the otherway up.

They are done that way because it's also supposed to be a Potvin tribute.

They are done that way because it's also supposed to be a Potvin tribute.

I was just about to say that.

As a Shark fan, I would've just picked Nabokov's or Toskala's, but Mike Smith of the Lightning with his pirate imagery was my favorite of the lot.

Add Tomas Vokoun and Joey MacDonald who get the concept of a simple mask design. This air brush mural phase has to end.

I hear you man. I can't stand all the airbrushing. Mask artists definitely need to tone it down a little bit. MacDonald and Clemenson's masks are a breath of fresh air. They look great.

My favorite currently in the league is Toskala's. It's easy to tell what it is from the stands and on TV. I love when guys establish a mask design and stick to it team to team.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Archived