what I would do if I was commish of... Baseball

Saintsfan

Starting off with Baseball, as the series is coming to a close

Here are some changes I would make

1. Weekend world series games played during the day.

2. End inter league play.

3. End wildcards. (Best division winner gets bye through to LCS, 2 other division winners have 5 game series to play them)

4. Try to find someway of having the season finished by 20th October. That might involve more double headers, a shorter schedule etc. (Its the Fall classic after all)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree with number 1. I'd love to see a day world series game. Problem is the WS is right in the middle of college football season and the NFL. To go up against those leagues, you might beat some games, but you'll defiantly have viewers pulled away. Still would love to see it.

I may be one of the few, but I actually like inter-league play. I'd do it differently however, the rotation is fine but I think the natural rivals play too much. Make them play every other year or maybe just a 3 game series at home one year, then on the road the next. Its not fair to some clubs that have to play a top team because of their natural rivals while someone else in their division plays a cupcake annually. Ex: Cubs play the White Sox while the Cardinals play the Royals 6 times apiece.

Disagree with the Wild Card. It adds a great dynamic to the end of the season. I'd extend the first series to 7 games however.

I agree with ending the season that early. Go back to a 154 game season (or even less) and quit all the travel days in the playoffs. The playoffs should be just as tedious as the regular season in terms of playing daily.

I'd like to see the baseball season shortened significantly. 154 games would be a start, maybe even closer to 130. There is no need whatsoever to be playing baseball in November, aside from money. Just pro-rate all current MLB contracts to the new amount of games and get going... cuz as much as I love baseball, once hockey season starts, I realllly don't give two craps about the World Series anymore.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I think my only problem with inter league play is the tradition bit. But it still feels wrong, even after, what 10 years??

I guess with the wild card thing, I like the tradition of a pennant race. I guess it is the usual way the Red Sox get into the playoffs! But it just feels to me that part of the success of teams like the Yankees is that other teams don't feel the need to beat them, just get into the playoffs and hope!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Icompletely agree with number 1. I'd love to see a day world seriesgame. Problem is the WS is right in the middle of college footballseason and the NFL. To go up against those leagues, you might beatsome games, but you'll defiantly have viewers pulled away. Still wouldlove to see it.

Have to disagree here. As much as there is a nostalgic feeling to a day time WS game, as a fan of a team who has been to the last two World Series', I can say that there is just too much associated with working your life around these things to have them take place during the day. PC is also correct about interfering with football too. In addition, each of these games is like a big party, and people plan their evenings around each game, like it's the Super Bowl (well, almost like the Super Bowl.) I get that it's tough for kids, and I really do feel for them here, but the 8:00 start time is really the way to go. I work at Lincoln Financial Field, and was talking to a little kid (maybe 6 years old) who was sitting in my section yesterday. He was all dressed up in Eagles and Phillies gear and face paint, and was telling me how the Phillies were going to win 11-0. I asked him if he saw Saturday's game, and he said that he isn't allowed to watch because it's past his bedtime. That did hit me hard, and I wish there was some compromise that would work for everyone... but there's not.

2. End inter league play.

I may be one of the few, but I actually like inter-league play. I'd doit differently however, the rotation is fine but I think the naturalrivals play too much. Make them play every other year or maybe just a3 game series at home one year, then on the road the next. Its notfair to some clubs that have to play a top team because of theirnatural rivals while someone else in their division plays a cupcakeannually. Ex: Cubs play the White Sox while the Cardinals play theRoyals 6 times apiece.

I'm kind of indifferent towards interleague play. I don't love it, but I don't really hate it (except when the Phils are playing some of the less relevant teams - I guess that's pretty much everyone's complaint though.)

My ONLY major problem with Interleague play is it's impact on the Wild Card race. You're competing for an 'off spot against teams from other divisions in your league who don't have to play the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, etc. during the regular season like you did. Doesn't seem right. Actually, now that I think about it, it's kind of like the NFL, so maybe it's not that bad. Also, there doesn't seem to be any kind of set rotation for interleague. Maybe if they did it more like the NFL where it rotated divisions on a predictable basis, it would be more fair. I definitely like the "rivalry" series though. Just curious sometimes how they determine who is who's "rival".

3. End wildcards. (Best division winner gets bye through to LCS, 2 other division winners have 5 game series to play them)

Disagree with the Wild Card. It adds a great dynamic to the end of the season. I'd extend the first series to 7 games however.

Kind of with PC here, though not with the extension of the series. The weather here was more or less fine until a week ago - had the WS been over, there wouldn't have been many (if any) issues. Once you get in to late October / early November, it's just too unpredictable, and really impacts the games - and by extension, your life (assuming you're planning things around the days that the games are scheduled.)

Definitely NOT in favor of giving a team a bye. Baseball players need to play, not sit around. Maybe figure out a way to make the advantage more in favor of the division winner as opposed to the WC (not sure how, though) but that's about it.

4. Try to find someway of having the season finished by 20th October. That might involve more double headers, a shorter schedule etc. (Its the Fall classic after all)

Yup. Again, not sure how to make this happen. You're just not going to see scheduled doubleheaders. Even if you did, they'd be day/night ones, so the teams could still get two gates (and the union would likely require another off day to compensate.) Can't start the season earlier either. I'd like to go back to the 154 games, but realistically, that's never going to happen. Only thing I can think of is to eliminate the All Star Game and break. It's completely useless at this point, and you'd get back 3 or 4 days to schedule games on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Icompletely agree with number 1. I'd love to see a day world seriesgame. Problem is the WS is right in the middle of college footballseason and the NFL. To go up against those leagues, you might beatsome games, but you'll defiantly have viewers pulled away. Still wouldlove to see it.

Have to disagree here. As much as there is a nostalgic feeling to a day time WS game, as a fan of a team who has been to the last two World Series', I can say that there is just too much associated with working your life around these things to have them take place during the day. PC is also correct about interfering with football too. In addition, each of these games is like a big party, and people plan their evenings around each game, like it's the Super Bowl (well, almost like the Super Bowl.) I get that it's tough for kids, and I really do feel for them here, but the 8:00 start time is really the way to go. I work at Lincoln Financial Field, and was talking to a little kid (maybe 6 years old) who was sitting in my section yesterday. He was all dressed up in Eagles and Phillies gear and face paint, and was telling me how the Phillies were going to win 11-0. I asked him if he saw Saturday's game, and he said that he isn't allowed to watch because it's past his bedtime. That did hit me hard, and I wish there was some compromise that would work for everyone... but there's not.

I did deliberately keep this to weekend series games. I understand the 'competes with football' argument, but to be honest, its the world series. I think if you scheduled a game to start at say 4 or 5est, you could still have like a biiig party around the game, and it would be more family friendly. I am not at all saying its a straight forward thing, but I think more would be gained, in the long, than lost.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think they should try starting a season earlier than usual. While that may mean pitchers & catchers report near the beginning of February, so what. Then I'd try to schedule games on the west coast, in the south, and in places with roofs/domes. You'd have to take a gamble with the traditional Cincy opener, but their average March 20th temperature is 57 degrees, and up to 60 by the end of that month.

You could do it this way:

AL: Games at Oakland, Seattle, Los Angeles, Texas, Tampa, Toronto, gamble on KC (avg March 20 high 57) or Baltimore (avg March 20 high 58)

NL: Games at San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Arizona, Houston, Florida, Milwaukee, Cincinnati (because of their traditional opener). Even Atlanta would be suitable...

Those "Gamble" games should be against division opponents so that there is ample opportunity to make up games if need be.

This would move the World Series Game 7 date up two weeks, so this year if they had started the season on March 23rd (Monday of course) they'd have Game 7 scheduled for October 18, which was a Sunday night.

Of course, then people would complain that they don't ever get to open the season at home. But if they tried this for a couple of seasons it probably couldn't hurt.

It would also mean late starts for Eastern team fans in a bunch of cases, but you have to play them sometime. Also, if you throw some day games in there, a 1:00 start in the west is still 4:00 in the east...a 4:00 game in the West is 7:00 in the east. This can be done.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The "traditional" Cincinnati opener hasn't been played for a while. The new "tradition" is for the WS champ to open on Sunday Night on ESPN.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The "traditional" Cincinnati opener hasn't been played for a while. The new "tradition" is for the WS champ to open on Sunday Night on ESPN.

Well yes, but they still open EVERY season at home, 1:00, on Monday, after the parade. It doesn't matter that ESPN plays a Sunday nighter now. I'd still call that traditional.

Baseball has had a 162 game season since 1961 and has been able to finish the season by the end of September. The regular season ending in October is a recent phenomenon. As I mentioned off-topically in the NHL thread, it is possible to have the entire post-season completed in the month of October. Complete with off days for travel and extending the first round to 7 games.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Well yes, but they still open EVERY season at home, 1:00, on Monday, after the parade. It doesn't matter that ESPN plays a Sunday nighter now. I'd still call that traditional.

Didn't know that. I thought you meant the opening day of the MLB season, not just that they always open at home (which I still didn't know.) I guess that's not a big deal to me, but I'm not a Cincinnatian, so I don't know if it's really that big a deal to them. I say times change, and you have to adapt.

Baseball has had a 162 game season since 1961 and has been able to finish the season by the end of September. The regular season ending in October is a recent phenomenon. As I mentioned off-topically in the NHL thread, it is possible to have the entire post-season completed in the month of October. Complete with off days for travel and extending the first round to 7 games.

Technically, 2008 completed in the month of October - and it sucked. They should really work on having the whole thing end no later than around October 20. I know it's tough with a 5-7-7 format, but they need to do whatever they can. Maybe dynamic starting dates would help here.

I think they should try starting a season earlier than usual. While that may mean pitchers & catchers report near the beginning of February, so what. Then I'd try to schedule games on the west coast, in the south, and in places with roofs/domes. You'd have to take a gamble with the traditional Cincy opener, but their average March 20th temperature is 57 degrees, and up to 60 by the end of that month.

You could do it this way:

AL: Games at Oakland, Seattle, Los Angeles, Texas, Tampa, Toronto, gamble on KC (avg March 20 high 57) or Baltimore (avg March 20 high 58)

NL: Games at San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Arizona, Houston, Florida, Milwaukee, Cincinnati (because of their traditional opener). Even Atlanta would be suitable...

Those "Gamble" games should be against division opponents so that there is ample opportunity to make up games if need be.

This would move the World Series Game 7 date up two weeks, so this year if they had started the season on March 23rd (Monday of course) they'd have Game 7 scheduled for October 18, which was a Sunday night.

Of course, then people would complain that they don't ever get to open the season at home. But if they tried this for a couple of seasons it probably couldn't hurt.

It would also mean late starts for Eastern team fans in a bunch of cases, but you have to play them sometime. Also, if you throw some day games in there, a 1:00 start in the west is still 4:00 in the east...a 4:00 game in the West is 7:00 in the east. This can be done.

Another possibility could be a couple of international series for each team. Australia, The Carribean, Central and South America could all be used.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Also, since they've been using the first Monday in April as Opening Day, if they used the last Monday in March when the calendar is "late" (as in the first Monday is the 6th or 7th of April) then we wouldn't be having a November World Series either...

And yes, if you wanted to do international series, you could use sites like Monterrey, Mexico City, Montreal, San Juan, etc. But that probably wouldn't go over too well with the fans here to have the season start for a lot of teams (not just a couple teams).

Didn't know that. I thought you meant the opening day of the MLB season, not just that they always open at home (which I still didn't know.) I guess that's not a big deal to me, but I'm not a Cincinnatian, so I don't know if it's really that big a deal to them. I say times change, and you have to adapt.

Well next year will be the 91st consecutive year they've done it. I mean, what other city has a parade for opening day? I would imagine to them that it's a big deal...just sayin'.

By the way, Frank Robinson was the grand marshall this past season.

1. Eliminate the DH. It was a gimmick designed to increase attendance in the 70's. Sorry, but I've always thought it was far more exciting to see the pitcher hit the occasional RBI single than it is to see some fat guy that can't field get 4 ABs a game. The DH eliminates strategy and makes it too easy to set up a bullpen for the late innings. There is more to baseball than offense.

2. All World Series and night playoff games start at 7pm. If Fox is really that worried about ratings then they would know that you are far more likely to keep viewers who began watching at 7 and don't have to stay up until 1 am to see the end of the game.

3. Every team plays one Sunday doubleheader per month. That may be enough to keep the season from carrying over into November and it adds more off days for the players to the schedule.

4. All teams will open the first week of the season in warm weather sites or in stadiums with roofs. I don't know if it was planned or just a scheduling quirk but in the mid 80's this happened and there was not a single rainout until sometime in July.

5. Home field advantage in The World Series will revert back to alternating years. That is the only fair way to do it.

6. Eliminate the all-star game and use the extra three days to shorten the season. Interleague play allows fans in all markets to see all teams. That is good for the sport. The all-star game used to be great. It isn't any more. With the advent of interleague play, games on cable and satellite TV, and wall to wall coverage of baseball, the all-star game has simply outlived it's usefulness.

7. At least once during every home stand the teams will participate in a 30 minute autograph session for the young fans. Anyone over 18 need not apply.

8. Umpires will be told to enforce the rules and call a ball if a pitcher is taking too long between pitches. Batters will be allowed to step out of the box one time per AB. A strike will be called if they do it more than once.

9. There will be revenue sharing, a salary cap and a salary minimum for lack of a better term. Not only will big market teams have to operate under the same rules as everyone else, there will be a salary floor in which all small market teams will have to spend a certain amount. It's just bad for baseball when we already know that teams like The Royals and Pirates are basically playing 162 exhibition games.

10. The playoffs will be seeded based on records.

That's all I got for now.

BB52Big.jpg

Well, here's what I would do...

1. The very first step is to insure that baseball itself can get rid of any and all traces of the Steroid Era and that means 'The List' must be made public. The fans deserve to know the truth about who used steroids. If the Player's Union wants to fight, then too bad! In case they forgot, the Commish is in charge, not the Union. I would also introduce a hardline steroid/narcotic drug policy. First time caught means you lose half of the season (81 games), second time caught means you lose a full season (162 games). Third time caught and you're banned for life.

2. I would increase the penalty for luxury tax to 15% of the team's total payroll. Also, the top 10 teams in terms of payroll would contribute to the pool instead of teams that are over a certain threshold. The bottom 10 teams in terms of payroll would each get an equal share of the luxury tax money pool to use in order to compete with the rest of the league.

3. One team is added to the AL in order to equal the leagues and create a balanced schedule. Milwaukee moves back into the AL Central and Minnesota (The farthest west of the Central teams) moves to the AL West. The Schedule then goes as follows:

-12 games [6 home and 6 away] against division rivals (Each division would then have 48 games in division)

-8 games [4 home and 4 away] against non division teams (Each diviison would then have 80 games outside of the division)

-2 games in interleague with each team in the opposite league (30 games)

The season is shortened by 4 games, but this creates the most balanced format to teams and fans.

4. Home field in the World Series would be decided by better record. If the teams are tied in terms of record, then home record will be used to decide home field. The All-Star Game reverts back to what it was, but the new caveat is that each city will be allowed to host the All-Star game in a different season so everyone can have a fair chance to host the Midsummer Classic. After the rotation ends in 30 years, it begins again.

1. Eliminate the DH. It was a gimmick designed to increase attendance in the 70's. Sorry, but I've always thought it was far more exciting to see the pitcher hit the occasional RBI single than it is to see some fat guy that can't field get 4 ABs a game. The DH eliminates strategy and makes it too easy to set up a bullpen for the late innings. There is more to baseball than offense.

Yup. I'll take strategy any day over a slug fest. Unfortunately, the union would never allow it, as there's too many players who wouldn't have jobs anymore.

5. Home field advantage in The World Series will revert back to alternating years. That is the only fair way to do it.

Yup.

6. Eliminate the all-star game and use the extra three days to shorten the season. Interleague play allows fans in all markets to see all teams. That is good for the sport. The all-star game used to be great. It isn't any more. With the advent of interleague play, games on cable and satellite TV, and wall to wall coverage of baseball, the all-star game has simply outlived it's usefulness.

As I've already said, yup.

7. At least once during every home stand the teams will participate in a 30 minute autograph session for the young fans. Anyone over 18 need not apply.

This would be extremely difficult to accomplish, as it would present a security nightmare. Working part time in event operations, I know that I want no part of anything that allows people without the proper passes anywhere near the field - and you know that besides kids, you'd have parents too, and that's just more to police. It sounds wholesome enough, but I guarantee there would be an incident somewhere right away that caused it to stop.

3. One team is added to the AL in order to equal the leagues and create a balanced schedule. Milwaukee moves back into the AL Central and Minnesota (The farthest west of the Central teams) moves to the AL West. The Schedule then goes as follows:

-12 games [6 home and 6 away] against division rivals (Each division would then have 48 games in division)

-8 games [4 home and 4 away] against non division teams (Each diviison would then have 80 games outside of the division)

-2 games in interleague with each team in the opposite league (30 games)

The season is shortened by 4 games, but this creates the most balanced format to teams and fans.

This is impossible. If you balance the leagues, you'd have to have at least one interleague series being played at all times. If your interleague series are only two games, then it would be impossible to build a schedule with this alignment. Even if you went to three game series, you'd have some teams playing more than one series against other teams, since there has to be one IL series every day throughout the entire season.

There are three things you cannot get rid of at this juncture -- the wild card, interleague play, and the 162 game schedule.

There is no reason that in a league of 30 teams, only four should make the playoffs. In fact, I'd like to see a second wild card team get in and have the two teams play a three game series for the right to go to the divisional series, but I don't think that would jive with the whole "shortening the schedule" kick.

I agree that interleague needs to be restructured. Get rid of the "rivalry" games. Having this every year would only make sense if every team had a geographical counterpart, which is not the case. Keep it solely to a rotating divisional basis and have each team visit the other once every six seasons. Then you're golden.

Shortening the season is not going to happen. Someone is going to lose money -- either the players, the owners, or both. The only thing you can do is to double up either on a Saturday or on a Sunday once or twice a month.

philly.png

This would be extremely difficult to accomplish, as it would present a security nightmare. Working part time in event operations, I know that I want no part of anything that allows people without the proper passes anywhere near the field - and you know that besides kids, you'd have parents too, and that's just more to police. It sounds wholesome enough, but I guarantee there would be an incident somewhere right away that caused it to stop.

I almost added we'd do it by a special lottery where say 50 fans win the chance each series. Once you win in a season you can't win again. Then I thought that didn't seem entirely fair.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived