New Second Division Soccer League

STL FANATIC

I don't know much about the USL, but apparently some of it's owners were dissatisfied and have broken away. They intend to start a new league. Also included will be Jeff Cooper's new St. Louis franchise (the same group that has attempted/is attempting) to break into the MLS at some point.

Here's the blog from Stltoday.com (the STL P-D's site):

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/free-kicks/free-kicks/2009/11/its-not-mls-but-st-louis-gets-an-outdoor-mens-pro-soccer-team/

I'm happy to see it. I hear there's not that big of a difference in the quality of play between the USL and MLS, and hopefully this will be a springboard at some point to an MLS team for STL.

But this isn't just for St. Louis, with 6 other teams, it seems like a pretty legitimate development in the US Soccer scene.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy to see it. I hear there's not that big of a difference in the quality of play between the USL and MLS, and hopefully this will be a springboard at some point to an MLS team for STL.

You've heard wrong. As a supporter of the Toronto Lynx prior to Toronto FC's arrival. The difference is quite a bit. However, that difference is getting smaller. If this league gets off the ground, I think the quality will improve, and slot somewhere between MLS and USL-1.

*Disclaimer: Don't take this as a knock on the USL, I write this as I wear my Puerto Rico Islanders jersey.

1zqy8ok.gif

There was some talk about this already in the MLS thread, but I suppose it deserves its own thread. You realize this development means that I absolutely can't support the St. Louis team, right? :P

I see the Thunder are in this new league too. They never did particularly well in the USL; hopefully this will give the team a fresh start.

The Thunder were the 1999 A-League champions, and were beaten finalists in 1998,2000,2003. (The league changed its name in 2005 to the USL First Division.) Of course, it remains to be seen whether the Thunder will ever play again, given their lack of funds and players.

And of course there was a huge difference; you were following the Lynx, fercrissake. ;) Seriously, Breakwood's right, though USL-1 teams have been more successful in recent years against MLS teams in the US Open Cup.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

There was some talk about this already in the MLS thread, but I suppose it deserves its own thread. You realize this development means that I absolutely can't support the St. Louis team, right? :P

I see the Thunder are in this new league too. They never did particularly well in the USL; hopefully this will give the team a fresh start.

The Thunder were the 1999 A-League champions, and were beaten finalists in 1998,2000,2003. (The league changed its name in 2005 to the USL First Division.) Of course, it remains to be seen whether the Thunder will ever play again, given their lack of funds and players.

And of course there was a huge difference; you were following the Lynx, fercrissake. ;) Seriously, Breakwood's right, though USL-1 teams have been more successful in recent years against MLS teams in the US Open Cup.

Well I figure supporting the worst team in the USL and the worst team in MLS gives me some fair insight :P

1zqy8ok.gif

This saga just gets weirder: USL plans to put a First Division team in Minnesota, but not the Thunder.

And since the off-season in the US is so long, we're going to be in limbo all winter, twisting in the wind as new news keeps coming down the pipeline. GAH.

POTD 2013-08-22

From what I've read, this is basically the more financially stable former USL teams trying to distance themselves from the notorious instability of the USL. I remember the Milwaukee Rampage folded right after winning the league championship a few years ago. The ended up being replaced with another Milwaukee club the following year, but even that only lasted for a couple seasons.

It seems like a good idea on paper, but whats the point when one of those cities (Vancouver) has already been granted MLS membership and another two (St. Louis and Montreal) are expected to get it in the next couple years?

Yet another twist in the tale: Unnamed TOA league adds Tampa Bay Rowdies and Crystal Palace Baltimore

Tampa was originally said to be on board with the TOA, so that's not a big surprise. But CP Baltimore? They were USL-2 the last couple years, and were rumored to be moving to USL-1.

POTD 2013-08-22

It seems like a good idea on paper, but whats the point when one of those cities (Vancouver) has already been granted MLS membership and another two (New York and either St. Louis or Montreal) are expected to get it in the next couple years?

Not quite sure, but I think either St. Louis or Montreal should be the 19th MLS franchise and New York (2nd franchise) get #20.

YOZXkBG.png?1

It seems like a good idea on paper, but whats the point when one of those cities (Vancouver) has already been granted MLS membership and another two (New York and either St. Louis or Montreal) are expected to get it in the next couple years?

Not quite sure, but I think either St. Louis or Montreal should be the 19th MLS franchise and New York (2nd franchise) get #20.

In the State of the League address, Commissioner Garber has confirmed that Montreal will be the 19th MLS Club, however, there's no timetable set for their entrance to the League.

Edit: The Montreal Impact will be joining MLS in 2012 and there's a rumor that the breakaway league will be known as the North American Soccer League. This is based on a search at the USPTO using the keyword: NASL.

The source of all this information is: http://www.mls-rumors.net

Yet another twist in the tale: Unnamed TOA league adds Tampa Bay Rowdies and Crystal Palace Baltimore

Tampa was originally said to be on board with the TOA, so that's not a big surprise. But CP Baltimore? They were USL-2 the last couple years, and were rumored to be moving to USL-1.

USL won't let Tampa Bay and Baltimore walk away that easily.

Latest TOA/USL update: http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2009/11/21/team-owners-association-soccer-usl-update-112109/

2nd-tier soccer league dubs itself the NASL

*facepalm*

I've seen people saying that the new NASL has said they want to compete with MLS. That's bat-:censored: crazy.

POTD 2013-08-22

And considering that Montreal, probably their strongest franchise will be leaving in less than 4 years, this will not last at all.

Previous reports I've seen had indicated that the ownership groups in Vancouver and Montreal had said that they'd operate TOA - now, North American Soccer League - franchises in other cities once their primary clubs moved up to MLS. Kerfoot of Vancouver was reportedly looking at Victoria, Edmonton and Calgary as possible sites. Saputo in Montreal apparently hadn't yet identified an alternate city.

And considering that Montreal, probably their strongest franchise will be leaving in less than 4 years, this will not last at all.

Previous reports I've seen had indicated that the ownership groups in Vancouver and Montreal had said that they'd operate TOA - now, North American Soccer League - franchises in other cities once their primary clubs moved up to MLS. Kerfoot of Vancouver was reportedly looking at Victoria, Edmonton and Calgary as possible sites. Saputo in Montreal apparently hadn't yet identified an alternate city.

Word is that Kerfoot has little to no interest in moving anything out of BC, and is looking hard at renovating/increasing capacity at Centennial Stadium (University of Victoria).

But this is all hearsay at this point.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

USL won't let Tampa Bay and Baltimore walk away that easily.

Latest TOA/USL update: http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2009/11/21/team-owners-association-soccer-usl-update-112109/

From your link --

?USL further believes TOA is tortuously interfering with USL-1 team owners that are contractually obligated to participate in the 2010 season. TOA has made several misleading statements in a variety of press releases to taint the reputation of USL and its long history of developing the sport of soccer in the United States and Canada. USL will vigorously defend its legal interests against the TOA?s tortuous interference in contractual relationships with its team owners.?

Tortuous (tor-choo-iss) -- 2. Not straightforward, devious. 3. Morally twisted or warped. (from Funk & Wagnalls' Standard Desk Dictionary)

Tortious (tor-shiss) -- Unlawful; describes conduct that subject the actor(s) to tort liability (from Barron's Law Dictionary)

They were sooooooooo close.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Still...do you think the MLS will tolerate them owning franchises in a league that wants to compete (lol) with the MLS?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Still...do you think the MLS will tolerate them owning franchises in a league that wants to compete (lol) with the MLS?

I think that any word on the street that the new NASL wants to "compete" with Major League Soccer is the result of an over-eager owner speaking too soon, or an ill-informed media member/fan speculating wildly. I don't for a minute believe that the majority of NASL owners are seeking to compete with MLS. More imprtantly, I don't think MLS executives believe that's the new league's goal. The NASL owners are looking to establish themselves as a solid second-tier in North American professional soccer. From there, some are likely hoping to position themselves to eventually make the leap to MLS via expansion.

I think that any word on the street that the new NASL wants to "compete" with Major League Soccer is the result of an over-eager owner speaking too soon, or an ill-informed media member/fan speculating wildly. I don't for a minute believe that the majority of NASL owners are seeking to compete with MLS. More imprtantly, I don't think MLS executives believe that's the new league's goal. The NASL owners are looking to establish themselves as a solid second-tier in North American professional soccer. From there, some are likely hoping to position themselves to eventually make the leap to MLS via expansion.

And you'd be right. The USSF and Don Garber from what I heard came away from the all hands on deck TOA/USL meeting in NY last month pretty much on the side of the TOA. I doubt they would have had such a favorable opinion on the TOA if they actually intended to try and compete with MLS.

USL is foolish to try and fight this. They are the ones who screwed things up. First Nike/Umbro set this off by secretly selling USL to a lower bidder than the Traffic/Cooper group at the last minute, NuRock. And then NuRock was unwilling address the TOA grievances and so here were are. I expect Portland, Puerto Rico and Rochester to eventually move to the NASL as well. USL-1 is a sinking ship. I just hope they haven't paid their franchise fees for 2010 yet.

Archived