Abe Pollin 1923-2009

neo_prankster

The one Abe Pollin contribution to Washington DC that stands out to me is MCI (Verizon) Center. He built it with his own money in a downtrodden and crime ridden part of the city and everyone looked at him like what are you doing? The Verizon Center helped revitalize that part of town and spurred tons of economic development, created jobs. That should be a model for other arenas around the country, build downtown, help your city, rather than just your wallets.

RIP Abe.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The one Abe Pollin contribution to Washington DC that stands out to me is MCI (Verizon) Center. He built it with his own money in a downtrodden and crime ridden part of the city and everyone looked at him like what are you doing? The Verizon Center helped revitalize that part of town and spurred tons of economic development, created jobs. That should be a model for other arenas around the country, build downtown, help your city, rather than just your wallets.

RIP Abe.

Don't forget that he built the Capital Centre/USAir Arena out of his own pocket and founded the Capitals.

RIP Abe.

Don't forget that he built the Capital Centre/USAir Arena out of his own pocket and founded the Capitals.

well yeah, he's done alot of good (aside from hiring Susan O'Malley but thats a different story), but I think the VC is his crowning achievement. Ive seen the before/after effects of the Chinatown area of DC first hand, and that is by far what I'd want to be remembered for if im Abe Pollin.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

That's very sad. I remember seeing Abe Pollin (or Mr. Pollin, as the team employees called him) several times during my days as a Wizards intern. As others have said, he was a good man.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

RIP to him...may his good deeds be forever remembered (Verizon Center revitalizing Chinatown, built from his own pockets) and his few blunders be rectified (he changed the name from Bullets to Wizards)...Overall, the good far outweighs the not-so-good.

bYhYmxh.png

I hope they don't. Wizards is a terrible name, but the time "Bullets" would be acceptable has come and gone. Let it rest along with Mr. Pollin.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Pretty cool that the Verizon Center actually did improve its surroundings the way so many new sports venues are supposed to but don't. Well done on that.

And DC is hoping that lightning strikes twice with putting Nationals Park in Southeast.

RIP Mr. Pollin. Thank you for your involvement in DC Sports.

Pretty cool that the Verizon Center actually did improve its surroundings the way so many new sports venues are supposed to but don't. Well done on that.

And DC is hoping that lightning strikes twice with putting Nationals Park in Southeast.

RIP Mr. Pollin. Thank you for your involvement in DC Sports.

Nats Park may be in SE, but it's still north of the Anacostia. Now, had it been built on the other side of the river...

And...I've never rally followed DC Sports, but I was wondering how the Verizon Center got there. Prior to me relocating out here, my only other lasting memory of Chinatown from the last time I visited DC was damn near getting skinned by somebody down there. I was hesitant to go back once I got here...but man it has completely changed from what I remember previously. It's nice to see Mr. Pollin was so involved in the community. Not very many owners invest that kind of time and effort into the community. And out of his own bank account, too? That is incredible.

R.I.P., Mr. Pollin.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived