Alaska Snowmen

chestnutz

Well, I'm in the Christmas spirit and it's everyone's favorite holiday, so I got inspired the other day to do a little snowman concept.

I went for an "evil snowman" kinda look, hope I achieved it, and just picked Alaska as the location. Not sure what sport this would be for, and I may develop some alternate logos depending on which sport it ends up being for. Suggestions welcome.

Lil' peak inside my horrible design process :P here's the original sketch (I always love seeing other designers sketches before it's vectorized)

photo.jpg

And the final product:

logo.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I really like this: It's definitely unique, and you pulled it off well. The wordmark is excellent, as well as the colors. The only thing that I think could be changed is the eyes, they aren't evil enough to me, but still it's cool. I'd like to see some secondaries, maybe a frozen F, or a full body snowman. Good job.

I also like seeing the sketch, it's definitely cool to see your work progress.

I don't know about this one.

It's a good start, that's for sure, but it needs work. The eyes jump out at me, they look hooded and need to probably have some type of pupil detail, instead of looking down make it look forward. The mouth just makes him look like he is slightly annoyed or sad about something, give it a snarl. The scarf looks static to me and a little weak. Along with changing the eyes, making the scarf billow out a little more, or adding motion in another way, will give this logo more life and make it look a little more intense. Right now it looks like a mascot logo for a college, but not a primary. I think the best thing, so far, is the hat, it has nice shading and good perspective. But what if you took the left most light blue facial highlight and made it navy? I think that would give it a more intimidating, shadowy look.

The wordmark, meh, start over. The light blue reflection highlight thingy is wayyy overused and doesn't look great. The serifs look incredibly slapped on, like, they just look incredibly sloppy, and the n is out of wack. I would suggest scrapping the wordmark because I am positive you can come up with something way better.

Good start with the sketch but you can improve on this.

This is an excellent idea. I love the color combo. I like how you included the original sketch. I wish more people would do that. I haven't been sketching my concepts out first but I'm going to try to. I echo the points elliott made. Make the scarf more alive and try to tweek the eyes a bit. The wordmark needs some work, especially the "N".

Can't wait for an update.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I think it's quite solid. I don't know if it's what you were going for or not, but he has a very mafia feel to him. I like the fact that he's looking down as opposed to out or forward. (From the shading which suggests that he's being lit from in front and below, it looks as though he's set something on fire. That'd be ironic for a snowman :grin: Maybe he's torturing a fellow snowman who owes him money by slowly melting him? All this exudes good sportsmanship and everything, haha.) To the whole mafia end, I don't think he should have a snarl. I don't think he looks sad or annoyed or anything. He's got a look of determined concentration. He's getting the job done (whatever that may be).

I'll agree with everyone else that the scarf is a bit week. However, don't go too overboard on making it more dynamic. There are lots of wonderful, clean circular shapes in this logo (juxtaposed with the fairly clean, sharp point of the carrot). If the scarf is too squigly, it will make the logo harder to read.

And finally, I agree with Elliot when it comes to the wordmark. I don't know why so many people love the whole two-tone thing so much. In some applications it works, certainly. But it seems to be overused on this board in concepts. The shapes of the letters work fairly well with the logo. Again, think circular. I think it's a good idea too to change a character if one is repeated, ie do something different with the second "N" in the word. Change the serifs or something to that effect. That way the typeface doesn't look 'stock.' Snowmen as presented in cartoons, etc. have always made me think of marshmallows or Oreo cream or stuff of that sort, and snow is pretty fluffy stuff on its own. So a heavier, round typeface (like the one you used) works well.

• 4 weeks later...

I am new here, I have been working with photoshop for a while and know a decent amount....but how do you vectorized a logo from a drawing? Can someone give me some info?

if i understand your question correctly i'd say trace it in photoshop or if you dont have a scanner as i dont, just eyeball it. but, not to be a dick since this could just be an honest mistake, what does this question have to do with the snowmen logo?

I am new here, I have been working with photoshop for a while and know a decent amount....but how do you vectorized a logo from a drawing? Can someone give me some info?

if i understand your question correctly i'd say trace it in photoshop or if you dont have a scanner as i dont, just eyeball it. but, not to be a dick since this could just be an honest mistake, what does this question have to do with the snowmen logo?

Probably because he couldn't post a new post, seeing as though he's new.

philly.png

This was the first logo i saw that was actually drawn and then made in to a logo, so I thought I would ask in this thread.

What do you trace it with in photoshop to make it look clean like the snowmen logo

Ok good point. that makes sense. since I am very unfamiliar with photoshop and havent used it in a longtime I probably cant asnwer that question, but Im guessing it has some pen tool. I know that doesnt help you at all probably. sorry

Archived