Milwaukee Bucks Re-Brand

bohob

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With so much effort put into this, I would say that I hate to do this, but after reading this whole thread and all the "love" you've gotten for this logo, I'm shocked at the members of this board and how no one has seen the huge flaws with the logo. I'm not trying to be mean, but someone needs to say this. This is a very awkward looking logo. You have a very visually unappealing logo as it's a beheaded deer with one antler and possibly one ear. I can understand the one ear possibly being hidden by the head, but one antler? The way you have the "neck" makes it look bad and unstable and it also seems too thin for the neck of a mature deer/buck. You've honestly whether it was your intention, but you've copied one of the worst logos in the Southern Miss Eagle logo. The ear doesn't fit the head as it's pointed while the rest of the head that is rounded, then again the antlers fit that bill also. Your wordmark is great, but the buck logo needs to be reworked. I'm not saying your bad or anything like that, and if people want to blast me because I pointed out things that need to be improved, so be it. I tell you this to help you make your design better.

You may have a point on certain things, but since this is a profile view, I thought he intentionally left out the other antler, as if it was hidden directly behind the one in front. and you might say well antlers arent necessarily mirror images of eachother so parts of the back antlers should be sticking out, but this is a logo and not real so it simplicity and cleanliness should be factored in. another antler might clutter up this already clean piece. the beheaded comment i dont understand...do you think every logo should be of an entire animal/person? more than half the logos around are beheaded animals. if anything i would say the deer could have a meaner scowl or something, but other than that this is well put together in my mind. oddball, your points are valid since everyone sees what they see and that is the point of this board, but I dont see this as being terrible at all, not perfect, but few things really are.

...oh and I love the Southern Miss logo, one of my favorite eagles around

GREAT update... I definitely would've preferred this to the rebrand they went with a couple years ago (still an upgrade from that ugly purple though).

First of all, KEEP the MKE. It has enough currency around Milwaukee that some people write it on their mail and it's probably the most common abbreviation for the city outside of the sports world.

As far as the blaze orange, I could live with the way you've executed it. But aside from "huntin season" barely making a blip on Milwaukee's radar, does it really make sense for a team called the Bucks to have a color that's associated with their predators (hunters)? I'd replace it with the golden-brown from the original logo or even a Packers yellow... something more "deer-centric."

I thought the guy in the template looked like Bucks great Ricky Pierce until I notice #22 was his number, having forgotten after all these years!

EDIT: Realizing after reading the name on the back of the jersey, it?s Michael Redd, even though it looks like Pierce!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Here is the finalized logo set. Oddball, I may go back later and look at the antlers and the ear, and take out some of the sharp points, but I think jaha did a pretty good job addressing your weaker points. The Home & Away uniforms are pretty much done, unless there are any overwhelming sentiments. I have also included the alternates, which feature antlers on the shorts and a little bit of a retro feel. C&C please.

bucks_id2.jpg

bucks_unis2.jpg

bucks_alt.jpg

Why are the numbers angled in the alt. and not in the regulars? Is that intentional?

Yes, it was. I tried to treat the alt differently because in basketball and hockey, more than football, the third jersey tends to be signficantly different. At least that was the way I was looking at it. If they're too different, I can change them.

I like what you've done with this. I agree with ilwauk, you could and should keep the MKE somewhere on the uniforms. I use it a lot, especially if I'm typing, Milwaukee is just too long and I'm just that lazy. It rolls of the tongue better than PHX and, in my opinion, ATL. When saying 'MKE' it is pretty darn close to the spoken 'Milwaukee'. Maybe that's just because I use it so often. Again, great work, I'd buy a home jersey and I loathe the modern NBA.

...also, no one from M'waukee actually pronounces the I or the L :D

As a UWM alum, I take a slight issue with the bright orange alt... we could do without reminders of how the greatest coach in the history of our hoops program jumped to Tennessee immediately after taking us to the Sweet 16. But on merit alone I love em, especially with the antlers on the shorts. You really did a great job of tying together the different eras of Bucks basketball with these... definitely one of the best concepts I've seen in a very long time.

OK, it's finalized. I've added the MKE back to the shorts on the home & road. C Jay, I tried the italics number with the home & road, but I didn't like the way the italic numbers looked next to the straight side panels. I've also added the striping to the back of the shorts on the alt. Enjoy!

bucks_unis3.jpg

bucks_alt2-3.jpg

I'm not sure anyone outside of Milwaukee would know wtf MKE is for. I'd lose it... fast.

Other than that, my initial reaction to these (keeping in mind that I've looked at them for all of 30 seconds so far) is that you really hit the mark. Only initial suggestion would be to somehow make the side panels / piping the same on the white and green jersey, just for a little consistency. They're certainly not bad this way, but with the main color being dark green on both, it just seem like the rest should match too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not sure anyone outside of Milwaukee would know wtf MKE is for.

Common sense should take care of that.

I dunno... I'd have thought that it was abbreviated MLW, MIL, or even MWK. MKE isn't obvious without thinking about it for a little bit. Either way, it adds nothing to the uni.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

we could do without reminders of how the greatest coach in the history of our hoops program jumped to Tennessee immediately after taking us to the Sweet 16.

Thanks btw! :D

I'm lovin the final set of logos and unis. My only gripe is the MKE as well, but other than that, this is all spot-on, sir!

I wouldn't expect anyone outside of SE WI to understand, but a lot of people took issue with the fact that for a long time, none of Milwaukee's pro teams actually used the city's name on its uniforms. It just ended last year with the intro of the Bucks alts, but putting some form of the city name on EVERY version of their uniforms would be a small yet much appreciated gesture by a team that... in all honesty... is in desparate need of making themselves relevant in the community again (Brandon Jennings not withstanding :D ).

And for the record, as much as it sucked to lose Bruce Peral, I'm not bitter. He's a great coach and even greater guy who deserves a shot at a national championship that he didn't have a realistic chance of getting here... please believe that if (and likely when) the Vols make it to the Final Four there will be no shortage of Milwaukee Panthers in their corner.

I wouldn't expect anyone outside of SE WI to understand, but a lot of people took issue with the fact that for a long time, none of Milwaukee's pro teams actually used the city's name on its uniforms. It just ended last year with the intro of the Bucks alts, but putting some form of the city name on EVERY version of their uniforms would be a small yet much appreciated gesture by a team that... in all honesty... is in desparate need of making themselves relevant in the community again (Brandon Jennings not withstanding :D ).

As a Milwaukee (South Milw./Oak Creek) native, I concur with this statement. Especially after the Brewers removed it from the unis.

Archived