Washington Wizards Re-Brand

bohob

Hello all,

This is the next installment in what is starting to become a series of NBA Re-Brands. The Washington Wizards. The first two things I thought were 1) I can't do any worse than the current logo because I can draw better than a 5th grader, and 2) I wanted to get away from the blue-black combo, as the Magic have a more substantial claim to that color palette in the division IMO. I started with a chopped in half (there ya go, oddball) I mean an upper-half of a wizard looking over a crystal ball. I tried to get the lighting correct despite the odd angle, but if I didn't I'm sure someone will point it out. Personally, I'm partial to the black-carbon-yellow combo, because I think it will work best come uniform time. Please let me know what you think, as I always appreciate C&C.

wizards_primary.jpg

The Purple logo stands out so far, purple and gold would be a great color combo, IMO...

Anyhow, I think the logo is too similar to the Dakota Wizards logo...maybe making the wizard with his arms extended upward, and the gazing globe above his hair suspended in air?

I do like the purple one the best, but like CDixon said it's too similar to Dakota.

In my opinion, you didn't quite nail this one. Your use of forshortening in the arms just doesn't sit well with me. He looks like he has dwarf arms, maybe if you put the elbows down a little more this could be fixed. Also, stylisticly speaking, this isn't done well, he looks flat. It looks too cartoony and 'anime-like', atleast the face does in my opinion. I'd HIGHLY consider using a light source, beacause, like in most logos, light sources produce a depthy feeling, and this is what this logo needs.

I'd definately rethink this one, but, if done well, this could look amazing

its a nice start to a logo, some elements to the face you may need to work on like the eyes and shadowing on the face and such. but...are you aware of the Dakaota Wizards of the NBA D-League. wayyy to similar in wordmark and in the wizards shape and build and everything. unless thats what you wanted, for there to be a connection with the teams but i would find that very strange for a team in the D-Legaue to have a similar logo to the professional team. I know it occurs in baseball but not in the nba.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

edit: oops sorry i didnt see those comments above before i posted this. ^^^ my bad.

edit number two. dammit double post sorry.

I didn't think they were that similar. I was thinking my logo looked more like AAO's Magic logo. It seems odd to give a d-league team the same name as an NBA team though.

well the shape is very similar not so much the details of the face because the dakota one has none, its just shaded in, so i guess thats different. but yea you know what i mean, there are teams that have similar color schemes or similar names but nothing really exaclty the same. the D-fenders are actually quite similar to the lakers i guess, toros- same color scheme as spurs, 66ers-same scheme as okc. but you get the idea i assume.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

obviously as everyones already said, my first thought was dakota wizards. the main thing for me is that he seems to lack shoulders and the upper arms should slant upward more and the shoulders would then higher naturally. and this is just a personal preference, not something wrong in what you have here, but maybe lose some detail in the face since wizards to me are dark and mysterious i dont think his skin tone needs to be the real color of skin, rather dark with a few small highlights. it's a nice start though and could turn out really nice.

Great job! I think the face needs a little work. The body, arms, and hat all make good use of line weights but the face doesn't match. Thicken the line weight of the face and I think it will add the depth that we're looking for. Another thing that's a little odd for me is how the eyebrows come out farther than the brim of the hat. The edge of a wizard's hat brim comes inches away from the forehead. I think this makes the logo unnatural for me and unbelievable. I wonder if the others feel the same.

On a side note, I'm not too up on the video games but that font is from Guitar Hero I believe. I found it interesting how long that font has been around. I was watching the Omega Man with Charleton Heston yesterday and that's the font they used for the opening credits. That movie came out in 1973 I believe. The font works well for this concept but it might distract if people can recognize it from the video game. Perhaps customize it a bit.

Can't wait for an update. ps I like the purple logo.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I like the lettering, but the Magician looks too much like a logo from the NBDL or the WNBA. I would try it with different color scheme because it reminds me of the Sac-town Kings.

One idea i think would look cool is if somehow you could make the D.C. look like a W. I always thought, if done correctly, it could be one of the coolest logos in sports.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived