I came across an alternate Patriots logo.

Quillz

I was browsing a site similar to this that has a number of various sports logos, when I came across a New England Patriots alternate logo I've never seen before. (Sorry about the huge size.)

nepatriotsalt.png

My question is, is this even considered an official logo? I've never seen this logo used on any official merchandise, but some sports sites like ESPN do seem to use this. (Or at least they tilt the primary logo so that it has the same angle as this one.)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks to me like someone's bad attempt at vectorizing the primary logo. There would be no point in having an 'alternate' with such minor differences.

I dunno if I'd call it a bad attempt. And there are some rather obvious differences between the two logos, such as this one lacking almost any kind of curve at the top part of the head.

Okay, so I took the official primary logo and rotated it so that it has about the same angle as the unofficial logo that I found...

nepatriotsrotated.png

I actually think the logo looks better rotated at this angle. I think it gives it more "motion" or something.

yeah i think its just a bad trace

look at the spacing between the blue and red

Looking at it again, I do see the spacing you're talking about.

With the primary logo, I found I could replicate the sharp angle of the white keyline by upping the stroke to 40px. I think that looks better than having rounded borders.

I'll always hate this logo. Put it next to other logos, and the shape makes for a whole lot of white space.

Yup, one of the biggest problems of many of those "flying" logos... Since they're wider than they are tall, it makes for a lot of wasted white space.

That's one of the nice things about the old "Pat Patriot" logo... No white space.

Okay, so I took the official primary logo and rotated it so that it has about the same angle as the unofficial logo that I found...

nepatriotsrotated.png

I actually think the logo looks better rotated at this angle. I think it gives it more "motion" or something.

As a comparison to the official version:

NewEnglandPatriots_PRMb_2002-9999.png

It looks to me like someone's bad attempt at vectorizing the primary logo. There would be no point in having an 'alternate' with such minor differences.

I dunno if I'd call it a bad attempt. And there are some rather obvious differences between the two logos, such as this one lacking almost any kind of curve at the top part of the head.

It's DEFINITELY a bad attempt.

You've got to be hallucinating if you think this is anything more than someone's attempt to vectorize the Pats logo.

No, I thought it was some kind of unused/unofficial logo, since a lot of NFL teams (the Panthers come to mind) tend to have a lot of alternate logos that see very little use.

You've got to be hallucinating if you think this is anything more than someone's attempt to vectorize the Pats logo.

No, I thought it was some kind of unused/unofficial logo, since a lot of NFL teams (the Panthers come to mind) tend to have a lot of alternate logos that see very little use.

Like what, exactly? Most of the time, these tend to be unofficial marks, or logos that are no longer used.

Like what, exactly? Most of the time, these tend to be unofficial marks, or logos that are no longer used.

Yes, that's what I meant. I assumed the logo I had found was perhaps something the Patriots used a long time ago but no longer use.

Obviously, it's not, though.

• 10 months later...

Archived