McGwire comes clean

fiasco!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wherever you stand, McGwire hasn't approached this with a "what will give me the best PR" attitude. I think he's been honest in expressing his thoughts and desire to be given a second chance in a new stage of his career.

Funny you should mention PR, because his constant use of talking points and his repetition of phrases tells me he'll be plenty familiar with the concept of coaching by Spring Training.

Oh, he's certainly been lectured on how to approach this. But the stances he took weren't stances that would be considered the most popular to the public.

Wherever you stand, McGwire hasn't approached this with a "what will give me the best PR" attitude. I think he's been honest in expressing his thoughts and desire to be given a second chance in a new stage of his career.

Funny you should mention PR, because his constant use of talking points and his repetition of phrases tells me he'll be plenty familiar with the concept of coaching by Spring Training.

Oh, he's certainly been lectured on how to approach this. But the stances he took weren't stances that would be considered the most popular to the public.

Because he was still lying. And doing so in an insulting, arrogant way.

I think he believed every word he said.

No, but you believed every word he said...again.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee ? I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee ? that says, fool me once, shame on ? shame on you. Fool me ? you can't get fooled again."

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I'm not saying give the guy a medal. But he did what all of us wanted him to do in the first place. Now that he has, why isn't that good enough for some of us? Just look at it this way:

He pretty much said PEDs were a part of his entire career. He could have just said he used them once or twice and right before he retired. He didn't. He fessed up to an entire career of use.

He specifically mentioned that he used them throughout the 1998 season. This is a big deal because that was a magical season for many baseball fans and he didn't want to give anyone illusions that he could have been clean during that season. It would have been a lot worse if he would have told us he did steroids but not in '98.

Any way you slice it, he didn't lie to the jury in 2005. He tap danced around the questions, but he didn't lie. Not only did he tell us today that he was a user, he wanted to make it clear how much it was a part of him in the game of baseball.

Pettitte told us he only used them to come back from an injury, nobody thought that was unrealistic. McGwire admitted to an entire career of steroid use, and some of you are treating it like some sort of scheme to get into the Hall of Fame.

It took him longer than all of us would have wanted, but he did it and now he should be allowed to live his life and coach his players with everything out in the open. McGwire is one of those players that I believe would not have Hall of Fame numbers if he had stayed clean. Bonds and Clemens are different. They both probably would have gotten in otherwise. But they wanted to be bigger than the game too, and if the longer they go without saying anything the more I will respect McGwire's decision to come clean today.

So what qualifies McGwire on being a hitting coach?

He obviously can't suggest using "this stuff a doc friend prescribed for me" for the Cardinals batters....

I don't know if you're serious with your original question or not, but it's because he's one hell of a good hitter and teacher of hitting. Look at his final 6-8 years (minus his last injury riddled season). The guy learned how to hit. Not just hit them out, but he learned how to hit. He learned how to study the pitcher, how to put the right swing on the ball. He learned the science of hitting.

And while his suggestion to Matt Holliday didn't work last year, he did a great deal of good with a number of other hitters he's worked with privately. He's certainly qualified. There's no guarantee of success, but it's not out of left field (excuse the baseball pun).

No, but you believed every word he said...again.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

I don't believe that he's correct when he says that PEDs didn't contribute to his numbers. I think the guy may well have broken the HR record anyways, but I still think they were enhanced by PEDs, though. Probably 70 wouldn't have happened, 62 might have.

But what I said was Mark McGwire believed every word he said, and I really think he did. Bob Costas really thinks he did. Peter Gammons really thinks he did.

Big Mac should have kept his mouth shut!!!!!

Thank You, Bud Selig!

Thank You, Henry Waxman!

Thank You Jose Canseco!!!

Tahnk You Selena Roberts!

So should you.

Sorry, but this time I am venting my greivance about this situation. And for good reason

1. If Bud Selig had not become interim MLB Commissioner in 1992, the steroids scandal would been blown open alot earlier, resulting with McGwire, Canseco, Bonds, Sosa, et al, either being suspended or banned for life from baseball.

2. Selig, Waxan and Roberts have become parasitic pariahs that have irreversably infected the integrity and the love of the game. If Roberts had released her tell all book in 1959, she would have been arrested for sedition, and sued for libel and slander!

3. It is high time for Bud Selig to step down as MLB Commsioner. NOW! It is time for some new leadership inMLB.

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

I don't believe that he's correct when he says that PEDs didn't contribute to his numbers. I think the guy may well have broken the HR record anyways, but I still think they were enhanced by PEDs, though. Probably 70 wouldn't have happened, 62 might have.

But what I said was Mark McGwire believed every word he said, and I really think he did. Bob Costas really thinks he did. Peter Gammons really thinks he did.

Don't you think there's a disconnect between the him saying he doesn't believe his use of steroids impacted his performance and his numbers and the records he broke, and him reaching out to apologize to the Maris family before going public?

So what qualifies McGwire on being a hitting coach?

He obviously can't suggest using "this stuff a doc friend prescribed for me" for the Cardinals batters....

It's a sinecure position?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Big Mac should have kept his mouth shut!!!!!

Thank You, Bud Selig!

Thank You, Henry Waxman!

Thank You Jose Canseco!!!

Tahnk You Selena Roberts!

So should you.

Sorry, but this time I am venting my greivance about this situation. And for good reason

1. If Bud Selig had not become interim MLB Commissioner in 1992, the steroids scandal would been blown open alot earlier, resulting with McGwire, Canseco, Bonds, Sosa, et al, either being suspended or banned for life from baseball.

2. Selig, Waxan and Roberts have become parasitic pariahs that have irreversably infected the integrity and the love of the game. If Roberts had released her tell all book in 1959, she would have been arrested for sedition, and sued for libel and slander!

3. It is high time for Bud Selig to step down as MLB Commsioner. NOW! It is time for some new leadership inMLB.

How do you infect integrity?

/Nobody's bringing back the Expos.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Don't you think there's a disconnect between the him saying he doesn't believe his use of steroids impacted his performance and his numbers and the records he broke, and him reaching out to apologize to the Maris family before going public?

By that reasoning, why'd he apologize and feel bad at all? I get that, and I can't claim to be in his head, but I think the way he sees it is that he certainly understands using steroids is something nobody sees as anything but disgraceful, but at the same time sincerely believes he's could have done it all with out steroids.

It doesn't have to make 100% logical since for someone to believe something (that's a duh moment coming from me, right?). I really think McGwire simultaneously believes he let everyone down because steroids are bad AND that he could have done it all without steroids because he believes in his ability.

I don't like Sammy Sosa, but I hold the same view on him that I held on McGwire--until someone takes the time to prove otherwise, or until he admits it, I'm not going to sit here and condemn him. Pete Rose? Yep, I wanted to believe him (although I probably should have read the case against him in that case). Mike Vick? Yep, until he was found guilty.

That's how I am. Insult me for being naive or whatever you want. But don't continue to insinuate I'm lying about my character/personality just because I'm also a homer.

The fact that some of you have no problem judging with just some of the evidence is fine, but I've never been able to, with anything. And frankly, it's a little damn offensive people continue to dismiss it as something else.

I'm not knocking you. I'd just like to point this out. No one has hit over 40 home runs in a season since the current PED testing policy was put in place. None of the other "excuses" for 50+ home run seasons seem to be holding up. No one has suddenly built "bigger ballparks." There hasn't been any further "dilution of pitching" due to expansion. Players are still following the same "workout regimens." The only "explanation" that is even remotely plausible is that the ball is no longer "juiced" or "a rabbit ball" etc. Since no new factors have come along to explain the power explosion of the "steroid era", what do you suppose is the reason for the sudden drop off in power numbers?

You may need a "smoking gun" before you decide to take off the blinders but it's pretty damned obvious to me.

Just saying...

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

By that reasoning, why'd he apologize and feel bad at all? I get that, and I can't claim to be in his head, but I think the way he sees it is that he certainly understands using steroids is something nobody sees as anything but disgraceful, but at the same time sincerely believes he's could have done it all with out steroids.

It doesn't have to make 100% logical since for someone to believe something (that's a duh moment coming from me, right?). I really think McGwire simultaneously believes he let everyone down because steroids are bad AND that he could have done it all without steroids because he believes in his ability.

That's quite the rationalization for someone who simultaneously lied and destroyed the game of baseball for an entire decade. It seems to me that a true fan of the game would spend less time making excuses for a failed hero, and more time pointing out that McGwire was a sham in 1998, was a sham in 2005 and is a sham now. Liars lie, and that's what Mark McGwire is.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

To me, the act of apologizing specifically to the Maris family indicates he lied in his interview when he said he thinks the steroids did not aide his pursuit of Roger Maris' record. Whether one thinks he's lying to us, or is caught up in a fog of cognitive dissonance and lying to himself, I guess is a matter of benefit of the doubt. I didn't follow his career or personality the way you did, so I am probably less inclined to give him any benefit of the doubt.

But the choices are he's either delusional/self-absorbed/in denial, or he's a liar. None of those things really reflects well on him, and none of these conclusions makes this interview or admission a great, roaring success.

I don't like Sammy Sosa, but I hold the same view on him that I held on McGwire--until someone takes the time to prove otherwise, or until he admits it, I'm not going to sit here and condemn him. Pete Rose? Yep, I wanted to believe him (although I probably should have read the case against him in that case). Mike Vick? Yep, until he was found guilty.

That's how I am. Insult me for being naive or whatever you want. But don't continue to insinuate I'm lying about my character/personality just because I'm also a homer.

The fact that some of you have no problem judging with just some of the evidence is fine, but I've never been able to, with anything. And frankly, it's a little damn offensive people continue to dismiss it as something else.

I'm not knocking you. I'd just like to point this out. No one has hit over 40 home runs in a season since the current PED testing policy was put in place. None of the other "excuses" for 50+ home run seasons seem to be holding up. No one has suddenly built "bigger ballparks." There hasn't been any further "dilution of pitching" due to expansion. Players are still following the same "workout regimens." The only "explanation" that is even remotely plausible is that the ball is no longer "juiced" or "a rabbit ball" etc. Since no new factors have come along to explain the power explosion of the "steroid era", what do you suppose is the reason for the sudden drop off in power numbers?

You may need a "smoking gun" before you decide to take off the blinders but it's pretty damned obvious to me.

Just saying...

Ryan Howard hit 58 homers in 2006, 47 in '07, 48 in '08, and 45 in '09.

Prince Fielder hit 50 in 2007 and 46 last year.

Albert Pujols hit 47 last year.

And that's just the 3 guys I looked at.

Assuming you meant 50, it still happened twice. But I didn't say I think everybody that hit over 60 would have broken Maris' record, I just think McGwire still probably would have done it once. He hit 49 homers his rookie year and was always talked about as an amazing home run hitting talent. I don't think him hitting 62 completely clean is out of the range of possibility. We'll never know, though.

But let me reiterate, that I don't think Mac is correct when he says the PEDs didn't help them. I just think he was a phenomenal home run hitting talent regardless.

That's quite the rationalization for someone who simultaneously lied and destroyed the game of baseball for an entire decade. It seems to me that a true fan of the game would spend less time making excuses for a failed hero, and more time pointing out that McGwire was a sham in 1998, was a sham in 2005 and is a sham now. Liars lie, and that's what Mark McGwire is.

Franken_Lying_Liars.jpg

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived