Pistons for Sale?

DustDevil61

Detroit Pistons could be on block.

I just hope that the team is sold to a Detroit group, and this doesn't mean the team becomes like the Clippers, or worse--the Sonics. It probably won't, but still...thoughts?

I can't see anyone moving the pistons. The NBA has scraped the bottom of the barrel of potential markets. As much as I hate to say this (due to the immaturity of certain members who seem to salivate at the chance to take a shot at Detroit), there's nowhere they could move right now that's more appealing than SE Michigan.

I can't imagine a new owner would want--or be allowed--to move the Pistons. The plan, as far as I know, is to sell a package deal of the Pistons, the Palace, a loan for the Lightning which Koules & Barrie haven't finished paying for yet, and various other interests under the Palace Sports banner. We know the Ilitch family is interested in at least buying the Palace so they can put the Red Wings there, but obviously they wouldn't be able to buy the Lightning loan (though the Norris family used to own like half the NHL, so). At any rate, the Pistons are going to be just fine, so nobody start any rabblerousing about Omaha Pistons or something retarded.

The Pistons from 2003-2008 were so much fun to hate that I think I actually loved them. They were basically a '90s NBA team (as opposed to the 2006 Heat, which were an NBA team with lots of players from the '90s) in terms of how larger-than-life they were. Afro guy! Masked guy! Alien-lookin' bald guy! Psycho guy! ...that other guy! Then you have Sheed's WCW title belts, the over-the-top public address, the sound effects, The Final Countdown, the whole Bad Boys Reborn feel, and all of that tension and excitement and pent-up irritation with it all culminated the only way it could, with an entire arena beating the living crap out of itself. Oh and they were all really really good at basketball, too (or at least Ben Wallace was till Reinsdorf pulled rank on Paxson to bring him to the Bulls where he wasn't just awful but infectiously awful and it's only now that we're starting to wash his stink out of guys like Joakim Noah). Man, I miss the Pistons. Even when they beat the Bulls in 2007 I was glad it was them and not someone else.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 8 months later...

So no Worcester Pistons?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It'll be cool if they build a big redbrick Neo-Olympia for the Red Wings and Pistons, but it's gonna pretty weird that the Palace of Auburn Hills is one of the most state-of-the-art arenas in North America and no longer have any specific purpose. So much for private enterprise.

It'll be cool if they build a big redbrick Neo-Olympia for the Red Wings and Pistons, but it's gonna pretty weird that the Palace of Auburn Hills is one of the most state-of-the-art arenas in North America and no longer have any specific purpose. So much for private enterprise.

Well, that's quite a stretch. Consider this - all but 4 current NBA teams (Knicks, Warriors, Kings and Bucks) and all but 5 current NHL teams (Rangers, Islanders, Red Wings, Flames and Oilers) play in arenas built after 1988, when the Palace went up (or, make that 37 newer, more state of the art buildings, than the Palace)...

That's some pretty faulty logic to say that any arena built after the Palace is better simply because it's younger. When Davidson built the Palace in '88, it was extremely ahead of its time to the point that everyone was asking what the hell he was thinking. Turned out the Palace pretty much set the mold for every oversized, suite-packed mega-arena since--the big difference, of course, being that the Palace was built with private funds while most of the rest were built with tax dollars. Maybe as a result of being privately owned, the place has always been kept up to date and maintained very well, so that age isn't an issue at all. The only indication that it was built in the late '80s is that the exterior is salmon and teal or something. Replacing it is not a need but a want.

Perhaps since replacing the Palace is not an immediate need, the Red Wings will move there temporarily (as speculated) while a new trend-setting arena is planned and privately built in the future. (I predict all-club/suite seating, from the floor seats to the roof.)

If Ilitch cares as much about Detroit as he seems to by buying all the teams he can, he wouldn't stick it to the taxpayers for a new arena, right? (Just the ticket prices to said arena.)

Archived