UW Stevens Point (UPDATE: ID sheet and hoops)

Discrim

UW Stevens Point is part of the University of Wisconsin system, and like most UWs, its teams mostly play in Division III. Fittingly, they are the Pointers. This is their logo:

UWSP.jpg

Usually I'll basically bust out a full set right away, and while I do have scripts ready, I'd like to tweak the pointer some more before I do so here. Mainly, I'm thinking its legs might be disproportionately short, I just want some opinions before I make it final. Without further ado, my UWSP Pointer rough draft.

stevenspointscrap.png

edit: I'm probably gonna tweak that funny shading on the hind leg too...heh, hindsight's a :cursing:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I dunno, while most of your work is incredible, this one just looks too simplified. You've taken out so many details from the dog that it just looks bland and boring.

You could add some 'fingers' to the paws, give it a mouth, add some whishers, and maybe try and give it some texture; creat some stray hairs around the body.

I dunno, while most of your work is incredible, this one just looks too simplified. You've taken out so many details from the dog that it just looks bland and boring.

You could add some 'fingers' to the paws, give it a mouth, add some whishers, and maybe try and give it some texture; creat some stray hairs around the body.

Well, he did say it was just a rough draft. The basic concept looks great.

CCSLC signature.png

I didn't know Pluto went to Point! :D

I don't know what else I could add that hasn't already been said other than try to use some sharper curves and angles. What you have right now looks too lax to be a pointer, which in real life tend to get rather "spirited" when they see something.

alright, after tweaking a few things and overhauling most of the body, I decided to go final. The rough draft I posted earlier had the same problem the one I didn't show you had: the feet were still too big. Seeing as ironically, I don't much like being around dogs in reality, I wasn't really in the mood to have a pointer bark at me just to see how animated one gets ;)

anyway, without further ado, here is the identity sheet

pointersidsheet.png

and now, the first of likely 5 sports: seeing as we're in season, basketball.

pointershoops.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

alright, after tweaking a few things and overhauling most of the body, I decided to go final. The rough draft I posted earlier had the same problem the one I didn't show you had: the feet were still too big. Seeing as ironically, I don't much like being around dogs in reality, I wasn't really in the mood to have a pointer bark at me just to see how animated one gets ;)

anyway, without further ado, here is the identity sheet

pointersidsheet.png

and now, the first of likely 5 sports: seeing as we're in season, basketball.

pointershoops.png

Okay while it's an improvement over your rough version there are still some serious issues.

The anatomy of your dog is well off he seems to have an extra joint below his shoulder because there is no way his front leg should bend like that, yes I know it's a cartoon/caricature but limbs should still attach in a reasonably believable way, check out the following link for a book on animal anatomy you'll find a dog skeleton in there (much safer than having a live dog bark at you whether you like them or not) and you'll see what I mean.

http://ia311006.us.archive.org/2/items/cu31924020499434/cu31924020499434.pdf

Second biggest issue I have and while it affects the dog as well it is most pronounced in the script, is the utter lack of variation in line thickness anywhere. Everything looks so static it's just killing the whole thing. You seem to have a grasp of the way pen made ligatures work (altho your O needs work it looks dangerously like a bad lower case E at first glance) but not how the lines would look if created with a real pen. You'd have thicks and thins throughout the whole wordmark as the angled nib of the pen created the letterforms.

All the lines on the dog could do with being wider and they could really do with varying in thickness. Pick a direction for your light source and make them thinner where the light would hit and thicker where it wont, it'll create depth and solidity to your work, and look at creating the scripts with an angled nib rather than a square one to bring that to life too. RIght now it all looks to mechanical and regular to truly succeed.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

It looks too much like a stuffed animal, that paw isn't natural looking the way it's up. I just asked my dog to put her paw up and yeah, the shoulder part of the arm isn't showing on the logo and the paw isn't hanging naturally. It's like the dog's paw is scratching its chest in that logo. Your dog logo is trying to point...

this is a good image to work off of and the dog's paw that is up in the original is also up in this one.

p1030075.jpg

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

heh, everybody on this board bombs a couple, looks like I don't have much choice but to chalk up the full-body pointer as one such dud. The more I tried to go about tweaking without another overhaul, the more frustrated I got, so for now I'm scrapping the body and just focusing on the head. Anatomy 1, Scrim 0...so here goes a new ID sheet with a tweaked head...

pointersidsheet2.png

and since I haven't done baseball in a while, here goes a baseball set.

pointersbaseballhome.png

pointersbaseballaway.png

pointersbaseballalts.png

you can take a wild guess whose old roads the powder blues are based on. the cream vest's pinstripes are based on the ones the Hornets' second set had. and before I forget, yes, the two roads are in fact a purplish gray. do not adjust your monitor.

2016cubscreamsig.png

haha damn wish you hadn't scrapped the body... you were on the right track with it, just needed to fix the leg like others said and IMO make the back straight and rigid. Pointing is a direct action so you want the figure to look rigid and straightforward (like in that picture of the dog that vcx posted. the tail, back/spine, and head are all lined up). I hope you go back and rework the full body.

i love all of the hats A LOT. they are great i'm just not so much a fan of the cream hat. the rest of the hats look amazing. I'm not really a fan of the double pinstripes on the cream home. I love the rest of the uniforms a lot. great work.

RockiesSig.png

• 4 years later...

I am trying to find pictures of the Stevens point football uniform from the mid-1980s, 1986 specifically. I know this really isn't the right thread and no posts have been made here in 4 years but I need to post on some threads before I can start a new topic.

Archived