green baseball cap brims?

HotCoffey

Can anyone tell me why old baseball caps all had green on the underside of the brim? Any type of info pertaining to this?

ccslcsig2.pngccslcsig3.pngupdate.gifccslcsig1.pngccslcsig4.png

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

The New Era game caps in the '80s had green underbrims too. I think the Phillies had green underbrims until the redesign of '92.

I think it had to do with studies that showed that green was calming or soothing or something, and players played better with that color underbrim. Then the same studies showed that gray was actually more calming and smoothing, so they changed to that (IIRC, the Reds still went with green for a while after the other teams switched.)

Then studies showed that it really doesn't freaking matter, so they went with black when they went to the "coolbase" caps last year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

IIRC, the Reds still went with green for a while after the other teams switched.

My recollection is that the Reds were actually the first team to use gray while the rest of the teams were using green.

Probably. I know that they did something different than the rest of the league, maybe it was that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Huh... thanks a lot, I've always wondered why it was green, a color that often didn't jibe with the color of the rest of the hat. The gray and black of today makes sense though...

ccslcsig2.pngccslcsig3.pngupdate.gifccslcsig1.pngccslcsig4.png

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

Huh... thanks a lot, I've always wondered why it was green, a color that often didn't jibe with the color of the rest of the hat. The gray and black of today makes sense though...

God help you if you bring that argument to a gray facemask thread.

I love the green underbrims. They just look so baseball-y to me, like satin jackets. I wish my cap had a green underbrim, but I must settle for a grey one on the discontinued wool 5950s. What am I gonna do when this one falls apart? I don't wanna wear a plastic hat! How could it possibly fit/feel better than my good old wool one?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The switch to grey came out because of supposedly sucking up the glare. Why green was so popular before... No clue.

The story that green reduced glare under the brim is nearly as old as baseball itself, or anyway seems to be. I can vouch from experience that at least since the mid 1970s, "because green reduces glare" and "because that's how it's always been" were the only two explanations ever offered for the use of green under visors.

Also from personal experience, green worked a heck of a lot better than gray, but black works better than green. I don't know about glare and whatever studies were ever done, but the real goal is for the wearer not to see and be distracted by the brim of his cap at the top of his vision. The old green created a nicely uniform dark area, whereas the gray showed much more variation in lighting conditions. Black works best, since the whole point of the green was to create the illusion of the absence of color and light.

20082614447.png

I love the green underbrims. They just look so baseball-y to me, like satin jackets. I wish my cap had a green underbrim, but I must settle for a grey one on the discontinued wool 5950s. What am I gonna do when this one falls apart? I don't wanna wear a plastic hat! How could it possibly fit/feel better than my good old wool one?

I too prefer the old wool hats. I have the '09 World Series hat and rarely wear it 1) Because it looks like I have a bucket on my head and theres no way to fix that, 2) It's uncomfortable and doesn't fit well, and 3) the bill seams way too big, especially compared to the old ones.

I've got an old wool 59fifty regular Yankee cap that I wear almost every day, but It's getting pretty beat up and it's on it's way out. I don't know what I'm gonna do when my old hat goes. NewEra should really carry all the caps in a wool version for the fans. Does anyone know where I can still get an old wool cap to replace this one?

Anubis.png

I too prefer the old wool hats. I have the '09 World Series hat and rarely wear it 1) Because it looks like I have a bucket on my head and theres no way to fix that, 2) It's uncomfortable and doesn't fit well, and 3) the bill seams way too big, especially compared to the old ones.

I've got an old wool 59fifty regular Yankee cap that I wear almost every day, but It's getting pretty beat up and it's on it's way out. I don't know what I'm gonna do when my old hat goes. NewEra should really carry all the caps in a wool version for the fans. Does anyone know where I can still get an old wool cap to replace this one?

The new 5950s aren't that bad.... when you first buy them sure they look like buckets, the best way to make them fit nicely is to work out in them or get just cap part soaked and sit or work outside till it drys. i have like 14 new 5950s 7 fit as good as the old 5950s i have but my favorite hat is my cooperstown wool green brimmed blue jays cap from the world series years

That's what I do with my wool hat: soak it under scalding hot water, shampoo and condition it, then work out until it's shaped to my head for the spring. It's like an annual ritual, which I'm sure I picked up in some part from the good old CCSLC years and years ago. Once I do all that (the buckram's long gone, too) it's like the perfect hat. Fits like a dream. My hair looks absolutely unspeakably ridiculous after two hours under an oily soggy hat, but it's merely a fleeting inconvenience. If you can assure me the same process will work with a polyester 5950 then I'll be more open to replacing this one. I mean ultimately I won't have a choice, but...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The new 5950s aren't that bad.... when you first buy them sure they look like buckets, the best way to make them fit nicely is to work out in them or get just cap part soaked and sit or work outside till it drys. i have like 14 new 5950s 7 fit as good as the old 5950s i have but my favorite hat is my cooperstown wool green brimmed blue jays cap from the world series years

It's my favourite too. ^_^

Archived