2010 NCAA Final Four Thread

Cujo

Going into the half, Butler and Sparty are knotted up at 28.

How Michigan State isn't up by at least six is beyond me. It seemed as if they totally controlled the first half.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the obsession with TV Ratings in this forum topic? what the hell!

My point was not part of any obsession, it was an observation/prediction...people say they love the little guys, the underdogs, cute stories and all that bull:censored:, but they don't watch. Remember when George Mason made the Final Four? Probably, but I bet most of the people hoping to see Butler vs. WVU didn't watch Florida smoke the Patriots. People say they want the little guy to make it, but they don't watch it when they get there.

--------

I hear you about the Da'Sean Butler thing, tNak, but I wouldn't care if one of the players is in my family, I'll never root for a Bob (T)Huggins team.

I think the people that want them there do watch. There just aren't as many of them.

I tend to disagree. We watch everything in the first weekend and you can barely find a fan not jumping up and down when a 15 seed wins their first game or a G. Mason makes the final four. But in all sports, people like to watch teams that they are used to and that they either love or hate. Yankees, Lakers, USC (FB), Notre Dame (FB), Duke (Hoops), UNC (Hoops), Cowboys, etc. And generally, with the exception of the Super Bowl (which is not really about sports for viewership), postseason does better with those teams than with very good teams from "lesser" markets or with "lesser" history/polarization.

I was really hoping Duke would lose yesterday because I was curious to see the ratings. I think they'd have been pretty low. Michigan State's a big name, but they don't have the draw of some powers. Duke'll bring viewers because they're seen as big time and, for some, a team to cheer against.

Coming into the weekend, there was a possible final 4 of Tennessee, Butler, Baylor, West Virginia. WV would have been the biggest draw. It would have tanked. Are people excited that Butler made it? Sure? Will a Butler national title be an outstanding story? Absolutely. But Butler/West Virginia, should it happen, will pull low ratings. People love the stories, but they put their time into watching the familiar and the stars.

A lot of us will watch any teams...big name vs. small name does not matter to me. But the more casual fans is what the numbers will reflect.

To bump something from last week, here is a look at the ratings from the early 2000's and the drop when Duke or UNC was not involved. even UCLA and west coast hope did not increase primetime ratings on the late game.

2001-2006 Final Four ratings

I am watching the Butler-M State game and Draymond Green got beat by Gordon Heyward and he fouled Heyward. Then they showed the replay because Green got PO'd at his team and Green said "Way to :censored: it up!" Hehehe

Butler advances to Monday's title game. The first mid-major to make the championship since when?

EDIT: Oh yeah, Memphis in '08. :rolleyes:

Conference USA is not really a mid-major league in basketball its always been a solid league.

However, not very long ago UNLV came out of the Big West conference and dominated all of college basketball.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Butler advances to Monday's title game. The first mid-major to make the championship since when?

Conference USA is not really a mid-major league in basketball its always been a solid league.

However, not very long ago UNLV came out of the Big West conference and dominated all of college basketball.

What about Marquette in 1977....

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Butler is the first team to make the national championship from outside the BCS conferences since Utah in 1998 (according to the NCAA.)

Conference USA is a BCS conference? As if the BCS even matters in NCAA Hoops....

6uXNWAo.png

The structure was waaay different back then, but Marquette is now a Big East team, and they had a superstar coach in 1977.

In 1979 Indiana State was from a tiny conference, but they had some guy named Larry Bird.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The structure was waaay different back then, but Marquette is now a Big East team, and they had a superstar coach in 1977.

In 1979 Indiana State was from a tiny conference, but they had some guy named Larry Bird.

Who's that?

Butler is the first team to make the national championship from outside the BCS conferences since Utah in 1998 (according to the NCAA.)

Conference USA is a BCS conference? As if the BCS even matters in NCAA Hoops....

Will they have to be in class on Monday? Butler was on Spring Break earlier in March, so...? Will they be like Alabama and not have class?

Will they have to be in class on Monday? Butler was on Spring Break earlier in March, so...? Will they be like Alabama and not have class?

Yes they will have class, since its 6 miles away ^_^

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

I am not a big fan of:

1-The CBS intros which they have the team attempting to act tough.

2-Jim Nantz as the PA for the starting lineups.

3-No CBS using Chiron of the players signature during lineups which they did in since the 80's. I like to see who seemed to be literate.

Yes they will have class, since its 6 miles away ^_^

The real question is: Will Butler take Tuesday off, should the Bulldogs win? That would HUGE cause for celebration in my book.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived