2010 NCAA Final Four Thread

Cujo

I didn't really want to get too in depth with this but you don't really know how this all works so you're convinced that the title game was a ratings failure.

You're a novice/layman whatever so of course you would think that losing to DWTS is a bad thing. It isn't. In fact, it was probably expected. The two programs are chasing entirely different audiences. DWTS killed with women. The title game killed with men. That was the goal in both cases. Now if the title game had lost to a NASCAR race or a baseball game then CBS would have had a serious problem. CBS never went into this game with the hopes of winning the time slot overall. They just wanted to win with men 18-49 and I'm sure they did. Sure, an overall win would have been nice for them but it would have simply been icing on the cake.

For what it's worth, all the "major" sporting events will eventually end up on cable. It's just the nature of the business. Media is fast reaching a point where nearly every outlet can zero in on their target demo without needing to worry about anything else. That's why all the major sports events are headed to cable. Sure the overall audience may drop but anyone who's ever worked in the industry knows that overall numbers are simply "vanity" numbers. Unless you're killing in your demo, it doesn't really matter what your overall numbers are.

The question still remains; what does it matter to you?

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't really want to get too in depth with this but you don't really know how this all works so you're convinced that the title game was a ratings failure.

You're a novice/layman whatever so of course you would think that losing to DWTS is a bad thing. It isn't. In fact, it was probably expected. The two programs are chasing entirely different audiences. DWTS killed with women. The title game killed with men. That was the goal in both cases. Now if the title game had lost to a NASCAR race or a baseball game then CBS would have had a serious problem. CBS never went into this game with the hopes of winning the time slot overall. They just wanted to win with men 18-49 and I'm sure they did. Sure, an overall win would have been nice for them but it would have simply been icing on the cake.

For what it's worth, all the "major" sporting events will eventually end up on cable. It's just the nature of the business. Media is fast reaching a point where nearly every outlet can zero in on their target demo without needing to worry about anything else. That's why all the major sports events are headed to cable. Sure the overall audience may drop but anyone who's ever worked in the industry knows that overall numbers are simply "vanity" numbers. Unless you're killing in your demo, it doesn't really matter what your overall numbers are.

The question still remains; what does it matter to you?

I never said that losing was bad for them, but that it was going to occur. I did not claim that it (TV ratings or economic impact) were zero sum games. I do believe, as this this board illustrates is that the importance and impact of sport (and sports entertainment) on our society and is essential to one's daily routine. I am not indifferent into the role of the mass media, government, politics or religion may have in regards our access to sport. This board should assist in informing others of the supplemental issues which are involved in the what many of us display deep involvement emotionally, financially, and/or in regards to one's time.

EDIT: The Final Four has passed, so I will pass on other thoughts on this thread unless it is about the next set of coaching changes which began today. DePaul hiring Oliver Purnell is interesting, if not perplexing. While I know that he has experience coaching at a Catholic school (Dayton), and he has done as much as he can really do at Clemson, but he has never won an NCAA tournament game, ever. Plus, I am not sure how well he can recruit Chicago. Sadly, I think they went after the biggest name African-American coach who wanted the job so that he can attempt to recruit the CPL and suburbs. That seems to be the San Diego State of college hoops; lots of area talent, but nobody seems to want to go there.

Gino must have raised hell in the locker room at halftime. Uconn is up 13 with 4 minutes to play.

It did not hurt that Jane Appell went 0-12 from the floor and another Stanford starter went 0-3 and as a team the Cardinal shot 18-69 (26.1%) from the field. It was UConn's only single digit win this season and did not mean to be.

Luckily for the other teams, Elena Della Donne did not decide to play there to replace Tina Charles and an third unbeaten season could easily be seen.

Did Lobo just say "in your man purse"?

I never said that losing was bad for them, but that it was going to occur. I did not claim that it (TV ratings or economic impact) were zero sum games. I do believe, as this this board illustrates is that the importance and impact of sport (and sports entertainment) on our society and is essential to one's daily routine. I am not indifferent into the role of the mass media, government, politics or religion may have in regards our access to sport. This board should assist in informing others of the supplemental issues which are involved in the what many of us display deep involvement emotionally, financially, and/or in regards to one's time.

You're really overestimating the importance of sports to the vast majority of the members of this community. You seem to see the activity around here in a far more serious light than I think anyone intends it to be seen. I certainly can't speak for everyone but I'd doubt I'll get much argument when I say that the overwhelming majority of the members of this community are here because it's a pretty cool place to kill some time and talk with like-minded sports fans. I'd even go so far as to say that I sincerely doubt that any one of us has a "deep involvement," emotionally, financially, or otherwise, with much of anything that goes on around here.

Your last sentence is more than a little incoherent but based on my guess as to what I think you were trying to say I'll say this; to assign any responsibility to this board beyond entertaining the people responsible for it is laughable. Or more simply stated, dude you really need to lighten up. :D

BB52Big.jpg

You're really overestimating the importance of sports to the vast majority of the members of this community. You seem to see the activity around here in a far more serious light than I think anyone intends it to be seen. I certainly can't speak for everyone but I'd doubt I'll get much argument when I say that the overwhelming majority of the members of this community are here because it's a pretty cool place to kill some time and talk with like-minded sports fans. I'd even go so far as to say that I sincerely doubt that any one of us has a "deep involvement," emotionally, financially, or otherwise, with much of anything that goes on around here.

Your last sentence is more than a little incoherent but based on my guess as to what I think you were trying to say I'll say this; to assign any responsibility to this board beyond entertaining the people responsible for it is laughable. Or more simply stated, dude you really need to lighten up. :D

From the "Obamanation" thread, I think that there are others who possess opinions which are separate than many. I also try to commit those to the real political issues which are seen in sport. I want to send others the Field of Schemes news since I know that most posters here have little concept on the entire stadium concepts. The current endzone thread is now useless as they have lost the turf issues and most everything else. Adolescents impact that thread like many others.

I feel the Lady Huskies have finally deserved the right to be called the "Team of the Year" when the Espy's roll around.

You watch the ESPYS? Geez, no wonder nobody takes you seriously around here.

From the "Obamanation" thread, I think that there are others who possess opinions which are separate than many. I also try to commit those to the real political issues which are seen in sport. I want to send others the Field of Schemes news since I know that most posters here have little concept on the entire stadium concepts. The current endzone thread is now useless as they have lost the turf issues and most everything else. Adolescents impact that thread like many others.

Huh? :blink: I have no idea what you're trying to say.

BB52Big.jpg

Huh? :blink: I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Every response is rambling nonsense. This "deep involvement" thing is particularly irritating because it was he who started the ratings fiasco by telling me that "sadly, you care too much about watching sports on TV".

PvO6ZWJ.png

May I ask a question?

Why are you here? Seriously. Why are you on this message board?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

May I ask a question?

Why are you here? Seriously. Why are you on this message board?

If his posts are any indication, he has no earthly idea.

I like dfwabel. I really get a kick out of his posts because he seems to drift in and out of a coherent state. One post will be fairly lucid then the next one will look like he wrote it using phrases generated from this thing...

recaptcha.jpg

He never makes a lot of sense but he's always interesting.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived